Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM

215 posts, read 390,374 times

Advertisements

I know it's a stupid post but I was just curious if anyone here is descended from any of the people famous in our city's history or just from Middle TN history?

My mother's maiden name was Demonbreun (yes, like the street) and everyone knows who Timothy Demonbreun was.

I'm descended from him.

Justine Timberlake, even though from Memphis, is descended from Henry Timberlake, one of the earlier explorers and Indian surveyors for western TN.

is anyone else descended from anyone, either from the remote past or more recent, in TN history? especially Mid-TN history?

John Sevier? the Bell family of the Bell Witch? James Robertson/John Donelson? Sam Davis, the boy hero of the Confederacy? or any famous singers from here?
Buford Posser? Alvin C. York? etc....

just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I'm related to the Coopers:

A century later, no one really knows Nashville

It's a fun read.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:41 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
That was a great story. Thanks for sharing...

I am sure you have a deep and meaningful love for The Tennessean.

and, who builds a statue for a coward that uses a woman as a shield?

Old 02-20-2015, 03:20 AM

215 posts, read 390,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
That was a great story. Thanks for sharing...

I am sure you have a deep and meaningful love for The Tennessean.

and, who builds a statue for a coward that uses a woman as a shield?
LMFAO^^

I thought it was a good article.

@NashVols , thanks for sharing the article and the history.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
I'm a decendent of Betsy Ross. Not Nashville related but hey, always a good name-drop.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:29 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm a decendent of Betsy Ross. Not Nashville related but hey, always a good name-drop.
HA, true!

I'm a cousin of Abraham Lincoln.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:35 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
My great great great grandfather used to be Governor of TN, but he got more famous after he started Texas.

I also know someone who is a descendant of John Sevier. We are both in E. TN though.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:48 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm related to the Coopers:
OK this is really fun. My best friend, L. Carmack is a descendant of the family here mentioned, and lives in Castro Valley, CA. I mentioned on this board having traveled out there for backpacking in the Sierras; for daughters' bat mitzvahs etc. My buddy is not Jewish but he married a woman to which I introduced him in '81 while I was dating her in Austin where we were students, L and I in graduate school. Dad P was born in TN but grew up there and in MS, graduating from TN Tech and lives at age 96 in Central Texas as do two daughters. I know all siblings - who grew up here where the family moved when small. The dad, degreed in EE, had been working in Oak Ridge then took a job in the Houston industrial sector early fifties; my buddy and two siblings born in TN, two other siblings born down here.

Maybe too much information here, but I had a major part in starting a family of young Carmacks, so 'scuse. But this is one of the classic episodes of my life. When I was dating R, I introduced them at her place of work (still there). We approached Trudy's Texas Star Cafe www.trudys.com I remember telling him what a nice woman she was, and got seated in her area. And not exaggerating, she told us she was going to treat us as good as any Jewish mother would.

My buddy L has M.S. in microbiology and PhD in biomedical engineering, making his living as a consultant in the Bay area. R grew up in Pittsburgh but both her parents graduated UT Austin, and I went to Austin in 2013 for the memorial for her mom.

Last edited by groovamos; 02-21-2015 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 03:59 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
who builds a statue for a coward that uses a woman as a shield?
See I'm not getting the negativity, here and in other posts. Contributor not present at the murder OK?

Alternative question: Who has authority to veto a statue based on the testimony of one witness? Did they bring this before a commission back then to figure it all out? Based on what? He had been a political figure and was murdered, case closed.

I found out about this story, and the statue, from my friends down here who all grew up knowing about a statue in TN of a antecedent. Contributor maybe thinks I would be better off never knowing this story, which I maybe would not have without that statue of a well known Tennessean.

Attitude adjustment time, people who grew up there like me would appreciate.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
See I'm not getting the negativity, here and in other posts. Contributor not present at the murder OK?

Alternative question: Who has authority to veto a statue based on the testimony of one witness? Did they bring this before a commission back then to figure it all out? Based on what? He had been a political figure and was murdered, case closed.

I found out about this story, and the statue, from my friends down here who all grew up knowing about a statue in TN of a antecedent. Contributor maybe thinks I would be better off never knowing this story, which I maybe would not have without that statue of a well known Tennessean.

Attitude adjustment time, people who grew up there like me would appreciate.
It's a great story to remind us that not all statues honor good men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville