Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 AM

17 posts, read 32,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In terms of straight distance, both are equally far from Nashville ... Around 35 miles. Spring Hill is south via I-65, Murfreesboro is southeast on I-24.

They both have difficult commutes, with the I-24 commute generally acknowledged to be the worst in the area. But plenty of people do it.

Ah! I see! That makes sense. We may take a look at Spring Hill tomorrow and check out the traffic situation Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,074,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spricey11 View Post
I thought Spring Hill was farther than Murfreesboro? I may be getting my maps mixed up lol! We are heading to Goodlettsville today and Mt Juliet. It seemed closer to Nashville the houses were older but I'll look again! Thanks for your help!
If you're in Mt. Juliet, make sure to check out the Providence area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Generally the prices are a bit over your budget but I've seen listings from time to time that aren't. Being a Sunday though, it may be pretty congested.....but that's nothing compared to the Murfreesboro to Nashville (and back) commute during rush hour....

And hey if you end up in MJ I'll know there's another San Diego person in town haha

Old 03-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
If you're in Mt. Juliet, make sure to check out the Providence area and the surrounding neighborhoods. Generally the prices are a bit over your budget but I've seen listings from time to time that aren't. Being a Sunday though, it may be pretty congested.....but that's nothing compared to the Murfreesboro to Nashville (and back) commute during rush hour....

And hey if you end up in MJ I'll know there's another San Diego person in town haha
You're from San Diego too? Yay! thanks for the suggestion! We will take a look while we are there!

Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM

722 posts, read 2,095,595 times
both are going to be a challenge during rush hour.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM

456 posts, read 583,851 times
Yes, Mt. Juliet is a much much easier commute to Nashville than Murfreesboro or Spring Hill. I'm guessing Murfreesboro and Spring Hill are now cheaper than Mt. Juliet though. I'm not even sure they are building single family homes under 280K anywhere in Mt. Juliet now. You'll see what I mean if you go south of Providence on S. Mt. Juliet Road or Central Pike. Goodlettsville would be much less expensive than Mt. Juliet, but I would consider Mt. Juliet to be nicer in terms of housing stock.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Yes, Mt. Juliet is a much much easier commute to Nashville than Murfreesboro or Spring Hill. I'm guessing Murfreesboro and Spring Hill are now cheaper than Mt. Juliet though. I'm not even sure they are building single family homes under 280K anywhere in Mt. Juliet now. You'll see what I mean if you go south of Providence on S. Mt. Juliet Road or Central Pike. Goodlettsville would be much less expensive than Mt. Juliet, but I would consider Mt. Juliet to be nicer in terms of housing stock.
I was surprised by how much closer both Goodlettsville and Mt Juliet was to Nashville. Goodlettsville was less expensive, however we did find a few nice homes in Mt Juliet that were around 270k that we could do. I liked the family oriented feel of Mt Juliet- everyone was out and about with their kids. It was nice! We will probably explore a little more tomorrow. Thanks for your help! Your posts definitely helped us get started in the right direction!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,074,001 times
I do the drive from Mt. Juliet into downtown and the commute is very predictable. Between about 7:00 and 8:00 there is backup for a bit at the Old Hickory Blvd/Stewart's Ferry exits. Around 8 or 8:15 or so the traffic thins out. Past Briley Parkway going towards the 440/40 split it slows down because of people trying to criss-cross lanes to go the right direction. Staying on 40 going into town doesn't really totally thin out until about 9 or later but after the split isn't that far. I generally leave MJ, about 3 or 4 miles from I-40 between 8:15 and 8:30 and have to park at LP Field, and I generally get there right before 9.

Going back out of town on 40 is generally pretty tough until the 40/24 split. And everyone is getting on 24 because that's the horrible commute.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 5,031 times
Having lived in Spring Hill for 8 years before moving back to Nashville, I can tell you that the quality of life there is terrific, and it's much better now than it was when I lived there. There are great recreation facilities, lots of new shopping and retail, with more on the way.

The only downside to life in Spring Hill will be the commute to Nashville if your working hours are typical. If you can leave SH for Nashville before 6:30 am and return before 4:00 pm, the commute is approx 30 minutes to Berry Hill.

Another area to consider is Old Hickory Village. It is a walkable neighborhood with lots of charm and the secret is starting to get out, but prices are still less than the rest of the area in comparison. It's on the lake either numerous traffic route options into Nashville.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I do the drive from Mt. Juliet into downtown and the commute is very predictable. Between about 7:00 and 8:00 there is backup for a bit at the Old Hickory Blvd/Stewart's Ferry exits. Around 8 or 8:15 or so the traffic thins out. Past Briley Parkway going towards the 440/40 split it slows down because of people trying to criss-cross lanes to go the right direction. Staying on 40 going into town doesn't really totally thin out until about 9 or later but after the split isn't that far. I generally leave MJ, about 3 or 4 miles from I-40 between 8:15 and 8:30 and have to park at LP Field, and I generally get there right before 9.

Going back out of town on 40 is generally pretty tough until the 40/24 split. And everyone is getting on 24 because that's the horrible commute.
Thank you! We were trying to figure out driving time so this is really helpful

Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNashville View Post
Having lived in Spring Hill for 8 years before moving back to Nashville, I can tell you that the quality of life there is terrific, and it's much better now than it was when I lived there. There are great recreation facilities, lots of new shopping and retail, with more on the way.

The only downside to life in Spring Hill will be the commute to Nashville if your working hours are typical. If you can leave SH for Nashville before 6:30 am and return before 4:00 pm, the commute is approx 30 minutes to Berry Hill.

Another area to consider is Old Hickory Village. It is a walkable neighborhood with lots of charm and the secret is starting to get out, but prices are still less than the rest of the area in comparison. It's on the lake either numerous traffic route options into Nashville.
Thanks for the recommendation and advice! We actually decided to rent in Spring Hill for a short time while we look for houses and to get a better feel for the area. We will be sure to check out Old Hickory Village too! Thanks again!

Last edited by spricey11; 03-30-2015 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville