Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:14 AM

659 posts, read 940,564 times

Advertisements

An opportunity that sounds pretty awesome popped up and my husband and I have the choice to move to Nashville, TN. Our housing and bills are taken care of as we'd be moving with family for the time being until we can save up for our own place on our own.

Arizona's job market SUCKS, the only entry level jobs available is customer service and call centers, you can kind of guess what my husband and I's experience is in job-wise

How is Nashville? I've been told it'd be easier for me to get an office/admin/accounting clerk job in Nashville than here. While my husband could get jobs as a teller or something computer related (both he has experience in). Before we make the move, I just want to know if Nashville's job market is worse, the same, or better than Phoenix/Glendale/Mesa/Tempe's job market for entry-level jobs.

It'd suck to move there, and not find anything and be a burden to the family that's hosting us for the time being.....we want to get back on our feet asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM

174 posts, read 214,084 times
I'm curious about the same thing...

Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I spent most of 2013 looking in and around Nashville. I did have some offers, but they were only in the low-mid $30k range. I now make considerably living in Indianapolis. Nashville's job market isn't as great as many seem to claim.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:02 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
Okay thanks Emigrations. Low-mid $30k is a lot better than the $18k-$24k range that jobs here in AZ are paying.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
In my experience, many admin/clerical jobs are hourly. $10-$15 per hour in a professional office setting.

Rent is high here also.

Cities with Greatest Projected Rent Increase in 2014

Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I spent most of 2013 looking in and around Nashville. I did have some offers, but they were only in the low-mid $30k range. I now make considerably living in Indianapolis. Nashville's job market isn't as great as many seem to claim.
A lot of things have changed in the last 2 yrs, and just because you weren't able to get hired at more than $ 30k, doesn't mean others can't find decent jobs here.

They're out there, and the job market is very healthy. My company has hired an enormous amount of people for our IT dept in the last year, and there are always entry level jobs to be had in other departments.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
A lot of things have changed in the last 2 yrs, and just because you weren't able to get hired at more than $ 30k, doesn't mean others can't find decent jobs here.

They're out there, and the job market is very healthy. My company has hired an enormous amount of people for our IT dept in the last year, and there are always entry level jobs to be had in other departments.
^^This.

I was looking for a job in Nashville around the same time as Emigrations and was hired at the very first place I visited, at a very healthy pay increase from what I was getting in Knoxville (and a heck of a lot more than the mid-$30k threshold Emigrations mentioned). Statistics and employment figures indicate that what you and I have experienced is much more common in Nashville than what Emigrations experienced.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM

But it sounds like the OP has basic customer-service/call center type experience.

I have one friend who was paid $13/hour at Brookdale Senior Living call center, and another who started at $24K at the Comcast call center.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
But it sounds like the OP has basic customer-service/call center type experience.

I have one friend who was paid $13/hour at Brookdale Senior Living call center, and another who started at $24K at the Comcast call center.
True, although she did say that her husband is looking for something computer related which should pay a little more than that.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-11-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
True, although she did say that her husband is looking for something computer related which should pay a little more than that.
Let's hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville