Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM

174 posts, read 213,967 times

Advertisements

If so, I'm looking for a Nashville neighborhood equivalent of somewhere like Sugar Land, Katy, or Clear Lake. Somewhere with affordable apartments, not too far from the city, and with convenient amenities like grocery stores, basic shopping, inexpensive restaurants, a theater, parks, etc. I don't want to be in the hippest, trendy part of town or the decaying, past-its-prime region either.

Can you help point me in the right direction(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,063 times
No idea bout Sugar Land or Katy, but what is your price range for an "affordable" apartment???

Old 03-11-2015, 12:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Well, twenty some years ago both Katy and Sugarland were mostly fields. Developers came in and built them up practically overnight. If they are still similar then I'm thinking a mix of affordable to mid range housing (little to no older housing stock and lots of cookie cutter n'hoods) and small shopping centers/strips

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 40,353 times
Hermitage, Brentwood, Bellevue - Nice areas, plenty of apartments to choose from

I grew up in Nashville (parents still live there) and have family in Katy and Cypress areas.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:05 PM

455 posts, read 1,139,589 times
@BoomSoonBri - There are very few apartments in the city of Brentwood, which is in Williamson County.

There are however many apartments along Old Hickory Boulevard in southeast Nashville that have a "Brentwood" postal address. But they are in Davidson County and use Nashville schools, utilities, city services, etc.

Parts of Franklin could work too. You'd be near I-65 (access to Nashville), lots of shops and restaurants (mostly chains), I think there is a movie theater at Cool Springs Mall. You'd have relatively easy access to historic Downtown Franklin which has some quite popular residents and one of the best bakeries (Merridee's) in the area.

Not too much in the way of parks, although I think there is a walking trail at Harlinsdale Farm (The Park At Harlinsdale Farm - Yelp)

Old 03-13-2015, 10:00 AM

32 posts, read 40,353 times
Aaron - I was referring to the Old Hickory Blvd area near I-65...definitely considered Brentwood area. High traffic area with plenty of restaurants around. OP didn't mention schools so I figured that wasn't a huge issue.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Extremely helpful so far! Thanks everyone.

Not sure what "affordable" rent is in Nashville. I was paying $950/mo for a fairly small but nice 1-B outside Houston. Is it comparable there? I don't want high-end but I do value safety, cleanliness, and being near to at least a few trees.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM

940 posts, read 1,901,398 times
I grew up in Nashville and lived there three times and have lived in inner loop Houston for 26 years.

Trying to shoehorn Sugarland into a Nashville comparison will not be very useful. One thing that the Nashville metro has that Houston does not, (excepting maybe the smallish Alvin/Angleton and Richmond) are a few sizable old towns within 30 miles having a real town square with courthouse. Yes Katy is an old town but the town center is more of a strip and no county courthouse, and probably resembles the Murfreesboro/Smyrna part of metro Nashville. Humble and Spring may be kind of cute in the old sectors but are kind of minor in this regard.

Sugarland, Pearland, and the Woodlands are modern planned "town centers" and I may be wrong but since Imperial left I don't think there are any significant corporate headquarters in Sugarland, even though lots of corporate operations there. The Woodlands does have a couple of major corporate headquarters. This is leading to the case of Franklin and Brentwood near Nashville, each with corporate headquarters, Franklin with a town square and county seat, the most famous of the Nashville 'burbs. Murfreesboro, population ~~ 110,000+ is also a county seat with corporate operations, and possibly headquarters. I don't know of any modern planned town centers around Nashville like Sugarland, but Mt. Juliet may become that.

Nashville has some great suburban choices. I should leave the discussion of those to the people living there, just saying that comparison of the two regions on a blog is not very productive in my view. Nashville is a great place situated in a beautiful state.

Last edited by groovamos; 03-16-2015 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 AM

I understand what you're staying about the two places being unique and therefore comparisons not being very useful, groovamos, yet your reply was extremely helpful and exactly the kind of information I was hoping for! Thank you!

There are a handful of corporate HQ's in Sugar Land but not too many. Mostly it's booming with retail, eateries and housing. It's definitely coming into its own as more than just a sleepy bedroom suburb of Houston though, with a baseball team and stadium, new parks, and the increasingly-popular Town Square area (which some Houstonians now drive to for its dining and boutique shopping options).

Franklin and Brentwood both sound nice, like places I'd enjoy living. I'm also looking at Spring Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville