Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:18 PM

265 posts, read 510,030 times

Advertisements

Any information on this town? I had read it's a growing area. Just wondering if there are still farm lands or farms for sale here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,147 times
I think you are about 5-10 years too late on the farmland. Its rapidly becoming the latest subdivisions. I think if you go just outside Hendersonville, you can probably find reasonable farms. I am sure there are farms still in Hendersonville but I cant see you offering more than a builder looking to build another subdivision. Cottontown might be a good place to look, its just outside Hendersonville but still rural.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:02 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
Any information on this town? I had read it's a growing area. Just wondering if there are still farm lands or farms for sale here?
Unfortunately, most of Hendersonville's farms have been sold. Try Cottontown, Bethpage, Portland, New Deal, Cross Plains or White House.

Developers have come from out of the woodwork and have bought up most of the desirable areas, even many undesirable areas. It's kind of ironic that so many developers from places like New Jersey and California are buying up property here. Fifteen years ago...maybe ten years ago, many people from areas like these thought we were a bunch of rednecks and wouldn't touch Nashville with a 10 foot pole. Now they are singing a different tune and Nashville has become "cool".

I assure you that many of the locals are very mad that this is happening, but what can they really do. I'm all for controlled growth, but its getting very out of hand here. Gentrification is running wild. It's actually quite sad. The city is loosing its charm.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 AM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Unfortunately, most of Hendersonville's farms have been sold. Try Cottontown, Bethpage, Portland, New Deal, Cross Plains or White House.

Developers have come from out of the woodwork and have bought up most of the desirable areas, even many undesirable areas. It's kind of ironic that so many developers from places like New Jersey and California are buying up property here. Fifteen years ago...maybe ten years ago, many people from areas like these thought we were a bunch of rednecks and wouldn't touch Nashville with a 10 foot pole. Now they are singing a different tune and Nashville has become "cool".

I assure you that many of the locals are very mad that this is happening, but what can they really do. I'm all for controlled growth, but its getting very out of hand here. Gentrification is running wild. It's actually quite sad. The city is loosing its charm.

Everyone's money is green. Blame the farmer selling his land to the devil, not the home builder for buying.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 AM

That is sad. That is what happened here where I live. All the farmers sold there land and now we have no rural areas lefts. Thanks for all your replies.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 PM

There is plenty of rural land left, just not in Hendersonville. You go 10 miles out and there is plenty.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
Everyone's money is green. Blame the farmer selling his land to the devil, not the home builder for buying.
if I were ready to retire and assuming my kids were not going to continue the farm, I would sell as well. Its hard to say no to a few million dollars.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
if I were ready to retire and assuming my kids were not going to continue the farm, I would sell as well. Its hard to say no to a few million dollars.
I've seen this story play out over and over in Real Estate.

Farming parents stress college to the kids growing up, worked their tails off to ensure those kids get degrees.

Kids get degree.

Kids remember dad working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day barely making ends meet.

Kids have options to get a good paying job with benefits in a city that has sex appeal.

Parents ask kids if they want to take over.

Kids unanimously decline.

Kids have babies.

Parents sell farm, move to city to be closer to babies.

People always complain about these farmers selling out, what else are they supposed to do? Pay the taxes and run a debt because everyone wants to be close to rural property? Why aren't all these complaining homeowners pitching in together and buying the farm to keep it rural? I'm not singling anyone out in this thread, but there's not a lot of options. Farmers' retirement is that ground (that equity). If no one else is willing to farm it, they sell.

Average age of a farmer is 65 years old. Get ready for development.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM

How about the Portland area, Sumner and Robertson counties?

Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 AM

145 posts, read 204,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2paisley View Post
How about the Portland area, Sumner and Robertson counties?
it is really hard to say where someone would want to live
we moved here from colorado 1 1/2 years ago and found a niche of gallatin we like
portland would not be something we like, but we have friends that have a farm there and love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville