Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM

43 posts, read 198,078 times

Advertisements

So we have a visit to the Nashville area planned for early March. We really want to get a feel for what it's like to live there...we are not planning on visiting any touristy type places, but want to get a feel for day to day living in Nashville. Can anyone give me some suggestions to get that type of information? One thing we planned is to go out during morning/evening traffic on a weekday to get the feel for that. We will be in town for a week and I know only a week isn't much time to get info on the seasons, weather, etc. But we were really hoping to sort of get the lay of the land, so to speak. We will most likely be staying at the Embassy Suites on Crescent Center drive in Franklin. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 07:16 PM

250 posts, read 1,011,029 times
The Embassy is very nice, so I think you'll be happy with your choice and location...what kinds of day-to-day things are you looking to do and what are you trying to accomplish on this visit? I'm assuming there's a relocation in your future?

Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Actually, we have been looking at Nashville for a while and are wanting to use this visit to cement in our minds whether or not to continue pursuing relocating there. Our timetable for moving is fairly far out; probably about a year and a half. Our goal for this visit is to get a good idea of what living in Nashville is like, specifically the following:

What is traffic like during rush hour?
What is the city street layout like?
What is the architecture of the homes like? We may want to look at one or two homes to answer this question when we are there, but we plan on renting so are not really interested in house hunting.
How about grocery stores? What variety of stores are available there?
Shopping malls, how are they?
What is the landscaping around the city like?
Are there sidewalks in the neighborhoods?
Are there any walking trails?
What is the weather like in March; is it spring yet, or still winter like it is in Colorado?

Now understand, we don't necessarily want anyone to answer these questions for us (although if you have an answer that would be great), we are hoping to glean that info for ourselves when we come. Of course, we all have our own criteria of the "perfect" place to live, so I can't expect you to know what that is for us. But I was hoping for some more ideas from people of other things we can look for that we didn't think of. Hopefully that clarifies my earlier post a little.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:31 PM

250 posts, read 1,011,029 times
Gotchya...so where are you coming from? That will help us to have a handle on what you're used to compared to what life is like here...

Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 AM

We are originally from San Diego, CA but have been living in Colorado Springs for the last 4 years. Hope that helps!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:31 PM

279 posts, read 779,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmy4 View Post
Actually, we have been looking at Nashville for a while and are wanting to use this visit to cement in our minds whether or not to continue pursuing relocating there. Our timetable for moving is fairly far out; probably about a year and a half. Our goal for this visit is to get a good idea of what living in Nashville is like, specifically the following:

What is traffic like during rush hour?
What is the city street layout like?
What is the architecture of the homes like? We may want to look at one or two homes to answer this question when we are there, but we plan on renting so are not really interested in house hunting.
How about grocery stores? What variety of stores are available there?
Shopping malls, how are they?
What is the landscaping around the city like?
Are there sidewalks in the neighborhoods?
Are there any walking trails?
What is the weather like in March; is it spring yet, or still winter like it is in Colorado?

Now understand, we don't necessarily want anyone to answer these questions for us (although if you have an answer that would be great), we are hoping to glean that info for ourselves when we come. Of course, we all have our own criteria of the "perfect" place to live, so I can't expect you to know what that is for us. But I was hoping for some more ideas from people of other things we can look for that we didn't think of. Hopefully that clarifies my earlier post a little.
i dont live in nashville, but ive lived around the nashville area my whole life, so i might could answer a few of em to know what to expect

evening rush hour is rough, particularly on the interstates, but that holds true for most cities.

i dont know if youre looking at only downtown though, and i dont really go thru it, but id live in a suburb if possible, i dont think its that good an area.

sidewalks...do you mean like in the suburbs? i think theyre only on the main roads

theres quite a few malls in the area. some of the closer ones are rivergate mall in madison, and opry mills next to the grand ol orpy. opry mills is bigger, has more stuff, but theyre both good options.

march would be kinda springish for us. avg is around the low 60s, but most people around here still consider it cold. it starts getting in the 80s-90s toward the end of may

turns out i didnt know it as well as i thought, but tried to generalize

Old 01-17-2008, 04:50 PM

64 posts, read 245,313 times
I would check out the Green Hills Area, the City of Franklin and the developments around there like Mckays Mill. Come towards the city and check out Brentwood, Hillsboro Village/Vandy area, West Nashville in the Sylvan Park area, Germantown just to the north of Nashville, and East Nashville 5 points and historic districts just over the river. Also, I know you don't want to be a "tourist" but you really need to check out downtown (go one evening at least), it is really what sets Nashville apart from any other city!! Welcome to NashVegas!!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 689,932 times
Hi lovingmy4! We are from San Diego too and are relocating to the Nashville area this fall. We have made two trips back (at two different times of the year....July and October). We have purposely not really done anything touristy....but we have done a lot of internet research (and already made two sets of friends via the internet and whom we have met and hung out with while we were back!). We scoped the areas we liked, went through model homes, participated in activities we would do when we move there (went to a Predator game, went to the Bluebird cafe to hear songwriters, camped for three days at Dale Hollow Lake, went downtown a few times for dinner, went to the OpryMills Mall, Green Hills Mall for a booksigning event). We went to local grocery stores for water and snacks, took side streets and found shortcuts to places we wanted to go. We had a blast exploring our new hometown both times!

Have a wonderful trip in March! Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville