Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,761 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I, in our mid 50's (me) and mid 60's (husband) are seriously planning on relocating to Nashville.
We will be renting an apartment for the first year (likely in the Berry Hill area so my husband will be close enough to music studios and downtown) while we make the official transition. We will both still be working (my husband in music and myself in speech-language pathology). With thoughts to eventually purchasing a home I am hoping to get some advice on the 37211 and 37221 zip codes (I know things can change in a year but want to get a sense of things) We would like a single level home or one that has master down at least. Don't need a big home; 1800-2200 SF is sufficient for us...1/4 acre (or even a bit less would also be ok)...most important is location -- close enough to nashville (15-20 minutes) as well as reasonable proximity to Congregation Micah and/or Gordon Jewish Community Center. Don't need to be able to walk to stores, etc. (although that would be nice) but also don't want to feel like we are too far out in the country. We would prefer the house to be in the 250,000-375,000 range
Thanks for any and all thoughts (including other areas I may not have considered yet!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It absolutely makes sense to look in Bellevue (37221). I love the Highway 100 side of town, which feels more quaint and like a small town compared to the Highway 70 side.

One tip for house hunting in Bellevue: The epic flood of 2010 hit hard in that part of town. Be sure to check flood plain info and flood disclosures on ANY house in a neighborhood with a river name or the word "river" in the subdivision name.

Also, the Gordon JCC is SUCH a nice facility. I've been there many times for various community events, and the folks there are always so friendly.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM

Hi Wmsn4Life,
Thanks so much for the feedback! We will definitely be checking that area. I would love to feel like I am in a quaint town. Do you know anything at all about the 37211 zip code? Not sure what part of Nashville that is considered, South Nashville? Still a bit confused about neighborhoods in and around Nashville. We are so looking forward to this potential move

Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sratiner View Post
Hi Wmsn4Life,
Thanks so much for the feedback! We will definitely be checking that area. I would love to feel like I am in a quaint town. Do you know anything at all about the 37211 zip code? Not sure what part of Nashville that is considered, South Nashville? Still a bit confused about neighborhoods in and around Nashville. We are so looking forward to this potential move
37211 is a huge part of Nashville that varies widely. Whether it's acceptable is really going to depend on specific neighborhoods. If your husband is a musician and likely to be keeping late hours, you probably would have more safe neighborhood options in 37211.

Honestly, both zip codes cover wide areas. But at least Bellevue is on the same side of town as the JCC.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
37211 is a huge part of Nashville that varies widely. Whether it's acceptable is really going to depend on specific neighborhoods. If your husband is a musician and likely to be keeping late hours, you probably would have more safe neighborhood options in 37211.

Honestly, both zip codes cover wide areas. But at least Bellevue is on the same side of town as the JCC.
Just want to be sure I understand correctly.... 37211 would have more safe neighborhood options that 37221?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sratiner View Post
Just want to be sure I understand correctly.... 37211 would have more safe neighborhood options that 37221?
I really thought I proofread my post. Sorry.

I wrote the same zip code twice. I meant to say that 37221 (Bellevue) would have more options that are safe.

I'm more accustomed to calling the parts of town by name rather than zip code.

As far as 37211, areas like Nipper's Corner, Crieve Hall, The Woodlands, Lenox Village and pretty much anything bordered by Old Hickory Boulevard, Edmondson Pike and Nolensville Road would be good. Centrally located, but a longer drive through a congested area to get to the JCC.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the clarification....that is what I thought might have been the case. I really appreciate your input. so very helpful

Old 04-18-2015, 04:17 PM

96 posts, read 234,797 times
I agree, Bellevue is a nice, affordable area and the drive to downtown Music City area is gorgeous. You would be close to Warner Park which is a wonderful place to go for walks. Another place you may want to consider is Franklin (37064). This is where I raised my son. If your husband is in the music sector, there are studios there as well. The cost of living depends on which part of Franklin you would choose. The downtown area during the weekend is bustling with musicians and small shows. The Williamson County area is full of very famous country music musicians. They prefer this area often due to the anonymity they are able to keep. And, it still isn't much of a drive to Music City. We spent a lot of time in both Franklin and Nashville (my son is a musician). I, for one, prefer Franklin (not Cool Springs) above all because you can take a walk downtown any evening and be greeted by friendly faces, it's very safe and it is also just a few miles and easy drive from Congregation Micah. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
I agree, Bellevue is a nice, affordable area and the drive to downtown Music City area is gorgeous. You would be close to Warner Park which is a wonderful place to go for walks. Another place you may want to consider is Franklin (37064). This is where I raised my son. If your husband is in the music sector, there are studios there as well. The cost of living depends on which part of Franklin you would choose. The downtown area during the weekend is bustling with musicians and small shows. The Williamson County area is full of very famous country music musicians. They prefer this area often due to the anonymity they are able to keep. And, it still isn't much of a drive to Music City. We spent a lot of time in both Franklin and Nashville (my son is a musician). I, for one, prefer Franklin (not Cool Springs) above all because you can take a walk downtown any evening and be greeted by friendly faces, it's very safe and it is also just a few miles and easy drive from Congregation Micah. Good luck!
Thank you for your post....I was originally very drawn to Franklin; we currently live in an area of NJ in which we can go to 2 'downtown' areas within 3 miles of us and it is just delightful. Just wasn't sure if we would feel to far from Nashville proper. I will be sure to explore further regarding Franklin and certain parts of Bellevue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville