Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Just tonight I was reading on a car forum I frequent, that a guy on the board and his friends were held up at gunpoint in the parking lot of Walgreens in Green Hills back in April. They drove into the parking lot and were talking to some friends when a guy got out of his car and asked for a cigarette, was given a cig, then pulled a gun and robbed the guy and his friends. Then said not to cancel the credit cards or he would come to the guys house (address on license) and kill him! I don't recall hearing about this on the news-I'm usually pretty on top of news-especially if it happens in GH because I go there a lot.

tell it brother! tell it! the "hills" are alive w/ the "sounds" of the "predators" in nashville; and they are robbin' us blind and makin' a killin' while doing it...LITERALLY! a very accurate and alarming observation is made by the above poster, scottv. WAKE, NASHVILLE, from your dreamy sleep in OZ!

think of the politics of the need to "under report" all crime---particularly violent crime. in 2007, nashville law enforcement reported 22,000+ thefts. most criminologist scoff at this number, when statistically factored to a population of 542,000. internal controls in law enforcement screen out many of the serious thefts, on the basis of known origin of theft, e.g. relatives, pre-emptive action on known theft occurrences, etc. a good deal of "see, but, don't see" is essential in many law enforcement agencies. unfortunately, this is very true in nashville and in its law enforcement agency.

nashville has experienced lags, as has some other cities in tennessee, in funding dollars / officer in policing. ultimately, the number of residents an officer is charged to protect affects his ability to adequately police that statistical charge. in theory, it is easier to be responsible for 2.03 citizens / officer than to be responsible for 3.87 citizens / officer. how does nashville want resources spent in protection---and where? the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" is not always applicable in nashville. generally, crime can be targeted as an expected occurence in certian given areas. apparently, in nashville, this is an ever-fading assumption of the past.

crime marches on and on, as it gains strength in bredth and depth in nashville, davidson county, and the counties surrounding. something must be done to protect those who respect the rule of law...forget the attemps of the salvation of thugs and gang bangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:31 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
something must be done to protect those who respect the rule of law...forget the attemps of the salvation of thugs and gang bangers.
It's up to you to protect yourself. The law grants you that right. A cops job is to write a report and clean up the mess..and I don't mean that as slam on law enforcement, but facts are facts. There is just not enough of them to adequately protect the community.

Don't like guns? Get a TASER. They are perfectly legal for citizens to carry. One thing to consider is that many robberies are committed by kids. These kids will stare down the barrel of a .45 and dare you to pull the trigger knowing that you probably won't. Pull out a TASER and see what happens. They know the TASER is non-lethal and they know you won't hesitate to use it. We certify on the TASER every two years and part of the certification is getting hit by one. Trust me...It's not a peasant experience.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,623 times
So where is this going everyone...? Will the city/metro area of Nashville soon be like the city of Memphis/ Memphis Metro? Will it get that bad? I've heard on the local news here in Nashville that the police department is being forced to make some major cuts, which may lead to only more crime in the City of Nashville/ Nashville Metropolitan Area. This scares me, I don't want Nashville to become the next Baltimore, St.Louis, Miami, or the next Memphis. We have got to save Nashville and take our city back from the thugs that want to run it...! Stop the violence everyone

Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
It's up to you to protect yourself. The law grants you that right. A cops job is to write a report and clean up the mess..and I don't mean that as slam on law enforcement, but facts are facts. There is just not enough of them to adequately protect the community.

Don't like guns? Get a TASER. They are perfectly legal for citizens to carry. One thing to consider is that many robberies are committed by kids. These kids will stare down the barrel of a .45 and dare you to pull the trigger knowing that you probably won't. Pull out a TASER and see what happens. They know the TASER is non-lethal and they know you won't hesitate to use it. We certify on the TASER every two years and part of the certification is getting hit by one. Trust me...It's not a peasant experience.
rossc, are you sure about the legality of carrying a taser? several family members are in law enforcement. different jurisdictions have different laws. they advise against it. they do, however, encourage owning and carrying a pistol. they caution that one should make sure that one's life is threatened before use of a deadly weapon---even if it is your home.

the point that you make about the lack of manpower in law enforcement, is exactly my point. a lack of man power leads to an inability to adequate protect the public. in memphis, government leaders have trouble finding increased funding---or even maintaining current funding w/out consideration of cutting police protection---for the protection of citizens by the police; however, they have no trouble keeping non-essential services like public swimming pools and libraries opened for recreational purposes. priorities are not where they should lie.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
rossc, are you sure about the legality of carrying a taser?
Quite sure...The state of TN regulates that. In this state anyone can carry a TASER without any sort of permit. I'd be curious as to why they would recommend carrying a gun over a TASER. Despite what the anti-TASER people would like you to believe, no one has ever dropped dead as a direct result of being tased.

If you were held up by a 15 year old kid, which would you rather have? Would you rather kill that kid or disable him long enough to get to safety? The only argument someone may have for using a gun is the old saying "Dead men don't sue".

Another argument for the TASER is that there is no guarantee that 1, 2 or 3 bullets will take down an attacker. A TASER will without a doubt take him down but not kill him. Lots of people have challenged the TASER thinking they could take the hit and keep walking. No one has ever done it. Search youtube for TASER.

There are two consumer models. The C2 is a small "fit in the pocket" unit. After you fire it, it delivers a 30 second hit. It is designed to fire, drop and run. That 30 seconds gives you the time you need to get to safety. Show TASER a police report stating that you used the TASER and left it at the scene and they will send you a new one free. The X26c is the civilian version of the police X26. The only difference is the firing distance. The civilian models shoot 15 feet. The police model can shoot as far as 35 feet. The X26c delivers a 5 second hit after firing. If at that time, the bag guy is not under control, you can pull the trigger and give him another 5 seconds. Not many will opt for another 5 seconds. The X26c is designed for security or other instances where you need to take down a bad guy and detain him. The C2 is made to give you an escape route. Both have a laser site for aiming.

If they delete the following link, you can find it under laws on the TASER website.

TASER® Laws and Restrictions

Last edited by rossc; 06-09-2009 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
they caution that one should make sure that one's life is threatened before use of a deadly weapon---even if it is your home.
If someone forcibly enters your home the law assumes your life is in danger. Doesn't matter if he's armed or not. If he enters using force, it would be a good shooting. This happens more than you might think. They don't all make the news.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM

625 posts, read 4,571,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Just tonight I was reading on a car forum I frequent, that a guy on the board and his friends were held up at gunpoint in the parking lot of Walgreens in Green Hills back in April. They drove into the parking lot and were talking to some friends when a guy got out of his car and asked for a cigarette, was given a cig, then pulled a gun and robbed the guy and his friends. Then said not to cancel the credit cards or he would come to the guys house (address on license) and kill him! I don't recall hearing about this on the news-I'm usually pretty on top of news-especially if it happens in GH because I go there a lot.
Ok, so I talked to the victim some more...he said this incident never made the news or got any coverage at all that he could find...I suppose keeping these types of incidents out of the news helps Police Chief Serpas keep a straight face when he says citizens don't need to carry a handgun

The victim says the guy was caught trying to steal tools out of a homeowner's garage in Franklin and that he's a meth head and unstable-and even though the Walgreen's incident turned out non-deadly in this instance-you never know what someone like this is capable-oh wait I know what they are capable of-killing someone for no reason/no money at all. Or for $2 in change like the guy that was killed in the Green Hill's Roma Pizza. For me, I would rather have an option of defending myself if needed. I grew up in Memphis though so maybe I'm a little more paranoid/realistic about things-whatever you want to call it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville