Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 PM

120 posts, read 329,865 times

Advertisements

We just moved here, so I'm not an authority on the crime in these areas, or what constitutes a boundary of a particular city or suburb, but I wanted to share an observation and an experience from this week.

I have been looking for a gym, and I called one that I really thought was in Nashville. The gentleman on the phone said, "I don't know what you've heard about Antioch, but we have alot of police officers who work out here."

Obviously, he was aware of the reputation of Antioch. I only knew about it because I had read things on this forum. I didn't say one way or the other to the guy on the phone.

It must be hard to have a business and have to fight with a bad reputation of your city.

One of the biggest things that has been new to us is not knowing what city we are in. Where we are from, when you leave one city, there is a sign that tells you the name of the city you are entering.

Here, one city butts up right next to another city. "Unsafe" areas people have talked about on this forum are right next to "nicer" areas people have mentioned on here as well.

It seems to me that if you are minding your own business and not hanging out with a "dangerous" crowd, then you don't have too much to worry about wherever you are.

We had a quick bite to eat at the Pizza Hut on Nolensville Pike earlier this week. I am not really sure what city that is in- I think it's Nashville. I can't say it's a place I would eat again, but I am learning about which places have the best customer service and where I want to do business.

To the original poster.....when you come here you will have a better idea of where you want to live, and I think you will find like I did that the folks on this forum are very knowledgeable, and their help is worth its weight in gold.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,841,891 times
Antioch is not a city. It is a part of Nashville.

When you are in Davidson County, these are the cities:
Nashville
Goodlettsville
Old Hickory
Ridgetop
Belle Meade
Forest Hills
Oak Hill

If you aren't in one of these cities, you are in Nashville. Antioch, Bellevue, Hermitage. Donelson, Madison, West Meade, etc are all part of the city of Nashville.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Antioch is not a city. It is a part of Nashville.

When you are in Davidson County, these are the cities:
Nashville
Goodlettsville
Old Hickory
Ridgetop
Belle Meade
Forest Hills
Oak Hill

If you aren't in one of these cities, you are in Nashville. Antioch, Bellevue, Hermitage. Donelson, Madison, West Meade, etc are all part of the city of Nashville.
Lakewood (was) a city, but Old Hickory hasn't been a city as long as Metro Nashville has been incorporated.

I think what's confusing to some people is that some of these places have their own named zip code (Antioch, Madison, Old Hickory, etc).

Old 06-30-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Lakewood (was) a city, but Old Hickory hasn't been a city as long as Metro Nashville has been incorporated.

I think what's confusing to some people is that some of these places have their own named zip code (Antioch, Madison, Old Hickory, etc).
You're right, I was thinking of Lakewood which is no more.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM

308 posts, read 966,869 times
I live here in Antioch since 6 month. Never had any problems here.
And in my gym the people are awesome and friendly.

You might want to check out the interactive crime map

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/tn/nashville

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

610 posts, read 1,623,047 times
I consider that Pizza Hut Nashville. For me Antioch starts east of Nolensville Rd...

Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 AM

815 posts, read 2,016,817 times
Quote:

Antioch, Madison, Old Hickory, Whites Creek, Joelton, Goodletsville (on the Davidson County Side) are all their own cities, with own zips and post offices, however they are still a part of Metro Nashville Davidson County. Bellvue and Donelson are areas that carry their own name, however both of those areas are still considered Nashville. Forrest Hills, Oak Hill, Berry Hill, and Bell Meade are independent cities, seperate from Metro, however when you address those areas it is stil considered Nashville. You don't put Forrest Hills, TN or Bell Meade, TN. it is Nashville, TN and what ever zip. Please correct me if I'm wrong. However with Antioch you address it Antioch, TN, 37013, same with Madison, and Hermitage. Even when you call for information the businesses in the area are listed as Antioch. A great deal of Antioch residential numbers are listed as Antioch in either the Lavergne section of the phone book or the Nolensville section.
As far as Lakewood, which was its own independent city, still was addessed Old Hickory, Tn, rather than Lakewood, TN.
I think all that has to do with when the cities were founded, how soon it populated, and the history behind the foundings of each area, prior to the Metropolitian government.
Boundaries of Antioch are east of Nolenville Rd, at least a half mile to a mile east of the Old Hickory/Bell Rd. Nolensville Rd. intersection. Now if you go just southeast of that intersection, behind the walmart, it is considered Antioch.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:27 AM

You are wrong. Antioch has no government unlike cities like Goodlettsville which have their own mayors and provide services to their citizens separate from metro Nashville. And yes you do write Belle Meade and Forest Hills in the address because they are separate cities. Aside from the cities Nashvols and I mentioned all other parts of Davidson county are considered to be the city of Nashville. This definitely includes Antioch.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Antioch, Madison, Old Hickory, Whites Creek, Joelton, Goodletsville (on the Davidson County Side) are all their own cities, with own zips and post offices, however they are still a part of Metro Nashville Davidson County. Bellvue and Donelson are areas that carry their own name, however both of those areas are still considered Nashville. Forrest Hills, Oak Hill, Berry Hill, and Bell Meade are independent cities, seperate from Metro, however when you address those areas it is stil considered Nashville. You don't put Forrest Hills, TN or Bell Meade, TN. it is Nashville, TN and what ever zip. Please correct me if I'm wrong. However with Antioch you address it Antioch, TN, 37013, same with Madison, and Hermitage. Even when you call for information the businesses in the area are listed as Antioch. A great deal of Antioch residential numbers are listed as Antioch in either the Lavergne section of the phone book or the Nolensville section.
As far as Lakewood, which was its own independent city, still was addessed Old Hickory, Tn, rather than Lakewood, TN.
I think all that has to do with when the cities were founded, how soon it populated, and the history behind the foundings of each area, prior to the Metropolitian government.
Boundaries of Antioch are east of Nolenville Rd, at least a half mile to a mile east of the Old Hickory/Bell Rd. Nolensville Rd. intersection. Now if you go just southeast of that intersection, behind the walmart, it is considered Antioch.
It has to do with incorporation. Some of those cities were incorporated before Metro existed, but dissolved their charters and were absorbed into Nashville. Others, like the 6 independents, incorporated or retained their charters in 1963.

Antioch, Madison, Donelson, Old Hickory, Bellevue, et al are no longer cities. They are incorporated under the banner of Nashville and have no official boundaries or services.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM

815 posts, read 2,016,817 times
Quote:
It has to do with incorporation. Some of those cities were incorporated before Metro existed, but dissolved their charters and were absorbed into Nashville. Others, like the 6 independents, incorporated or retained their charters in 1963.

Antioch, Madison, Donelson, Old Hickory, Bellevue, et al are no longer cities. They are incorporated under the banner of Nashville and have no official boundaries or services.
That is true, however, according to the U.S postal service Antioch, Madison, Hermitage, Old Hickory, Whites Creek, and Joelton area assigned their own zip codes that are not label as Nashville, tho part of the Metropolotian government. Donelson and Bellvue are Nashville address tho still areas within Nashville with it's own name. Example, someone living on Lebanon road in Donelson would have the address of 1234 Lebanon rd. Nashville, Tn 37214, rather than 1234 Lebanon rd. Donelson, Tn... Same goes for Berry Hill, which is it's own city with in Davidson county but when addressed it is 1234 Bransford ave. Nashville, Tn 37210, or what ever the zip, rather than Berry Hill, Tn.... An Antioch addressed is addressed as is, Antioch, Tn 37013, Hermitage, Tn 37076, and so on... Tho part of metro... For postal services they are their own... Those areas are also the true suburbs of Nashville, unlike areas such as Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, or Smryna, which are their own cities with in the Metro...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville