Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 AM

49 posts, read 70,402 times

Advertisements

I love country and I was afraid that since the area is becoming so transplant saturated it will lose some of the Grand Ole Opry flavor that makes the area famous to begin with.

Is Country Music influence in the area going strong? Waning? Is it still the "place to be" for an aspiring country singer in the same way that New York is for a wannabe model and LA for a wannabe actor/tress?

Does Nashville still have that certain "country/southern" feel to the city or is it just now more like Charlotte which is a city that happens to be in the south as opposed to a southern city? I am a bit more familiar with Memphis which while still a big city is unmistakably a southern city that has been heavily influenced by the Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,470,452 times
I've lived here all my life and while I don't have my finger on the pulse of the music industry, I very much believe Nashville is a place to be for an aspiring singer, songwriter, or musician. Look no further than the CMA Fest this week in Nashville. That said, I believe our music scene here is more diverse now that maybe it has ever been. And I believe cities like Austin have developed their own music scene to the point that you can't call Nashville the only Music City in the nation...but the last economical study I saw on industry in the city certainly indicates that Nashville is still very much The Music City.

I recall back in the early 90s reading an article in the Nashville Banner (I'm establishing my old-timer legitimacy here with that sentence ) that lamented that Nashville was losing its music identity because country music was becoming so commercial, blah blah blah. Fast forward 20 years and the city has grown far beyond anyone's imagination yet the same fear/critique is still there. I'm not too scared. However, it is very much worth noting that Nashville doesn't depend solely on the music or hospitality industry (though both are key components of our economy). Healthcare and service industries are much larger employers, though "Hospital City USA" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as Music City USA does.

Nashville is still a town that attracts starry eyed musicians/songwriters hoping to make it big. All that said, Nashville is also becoming a city where it is increasingly hard for those starving musicians to find affordable housing...which is a major problem that the next mayor has the pleasure of addressing.

And as far as Nashville losing its southern culture/flair...I definitely think that we are in no immediate danger of becoming a Charlotte. We've definitely done a good job of keeping our identity in spite of the large number of transplants. We've got a welcome wagon, hauled by an old pickup with a driver named Darryl, that visits each new citizen and gives them Goo Goos and Moon Pies, a six of Yazoo, an iTunes playlist of Jason Isbell, Johnny Cash, and Todd Snider, a bag of Martha White's All Purpose Flour, and directions on how to circumnavigate Old Hickory Boulevard. That seems to help.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post

Is it still the "place to be" for an aspiring country singer in the same way that New York is for a wannabe model and LA for a wannabe actor/tress?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post

...is it just now more like Charlotte which is a city that happens to be in the south as opposed to a southern city?
No.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:47 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
playlist of Jason Isbell, Johnny Cash, and Todd Snider
Perfect! And by coincidence, exactly what you will find being played on Lightning 100.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:51 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Coincidentally, in Sunday's Tennessean there was an interview with Colin Reed, president and CEO for Ryman Hospitality.

"Nashville is the authentic music capital of the United States of America, period, end of story. Austin sort of says, "We've got more venues," and they may have and that's fine - they're a bigger city. But we're where the artist management companies live, the artists live, the recording businesses are here, the songwriters are here, and it's every day that goes by you see more and more people in the music business wanting to be in Nashville, Tennessee."

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,410,327 times
Though Nashville is still the country music capitol, did Branson, MO, still some of Nashville's thunder?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
Though Nashville is still the country music capitol, did Branson, MO, still some of Nashville's thunder?
OMG No! They are totally different.

Branson is like Pigeon Forge. It is a manufactured, photoshopped, sanitized place where country artists you once liked but had forgotten about can still play.

Nashville has some of that manufactured "slickness" to it in places, but there is still a lot of authenticity here and definitely innovation.

Nashville is Thanksgiving Day. Branson is leftovers.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden eagles fan View Post
If they stole any thunder, then they lost it on the way back to Branson.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
It's the unequivocal capital of bro-country music and that's a fact.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:59 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Nashville country sounds more like manufactured mainstream pop music than country.

For the real gritty, down-in-the-dirt, outlaw country music, that's coming from Austin.

Nashville and Branson are nothing like Austin. Especially Branson. Emmylou Harris once said she will never play in Branson again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville