Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 02:29 AM

19 posts, read 23,022 times

Advertisements

I just got a call from the company I work for about relocating to Nashville ASAP, and with it being this close to the end of the lease term on my existing apartment, I have been scrambling to try and find a place to live in Nashville. My work's headquarters are located about two miles west of Vanderbilt so I am trying to look for an apartment to live in that is within a 10 mile radius of the place, but not in Franklin, Brentwood, East Nashville, etc. Basically I am trying to make sure my commute isn't terrible, so staying near I-40 or 440 is key.

I came across the infamous 865 Bellevue and while it seems to have all the accommodations I would want, people on every facet of the internet say it's downright THE worst place to live. However, whenever I find any relatively similar alternative, the reviews are just as bad. ApartmentRatings should change its name to "pissed off tenants venting page".

Anyways, I'm not a local by any means, but I know my way around at a novice level. There is a daunting amount of information out there on apartments and I seem to be making little headway when it comes to finding something that has 1. a decent rent price of $1200 or less 2. not old and shoddy looking and has decent appliances and 3. happy tenants. In fact finding happy tenants seems to be nearly impossible. My method has been to look at Zillow or ApartmentFinder, then check its location on Google Maps, then go to ApartmentRatings or Yelp. Almost every time I am on the final step, my hopes are crushed.

I'm wondering if anyone out there who lives in Nashville currently can give any recommendation on apartments. The apartment I currently live in wasn't even listed online, so I'm assuming there are hidden gems out there in Nashville too. I'm not picky about the accommodations really, as long as the place is energy efficient (insulation) and there aren't a ton of bugs or loud neighbors, I'm going to be happy. Is that asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:21 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,065,329 times
Online reviews are tough . . . I use Tripadvisor a lot for hotels and one person gives it one star and one gives it 5! Hard to know who to believe anymore. I do think basic human nature tends to drive people who have a problem, to take to the internet. People who are merely content don't bother. MAYBE a compliment but it does take effort to do a review and mad people seem to have more energy!

The ONLY apartment complex I have second hand knowledge of (two different friends lived there for quite a few years) is the Colonial Grand, in Bellevue. Both experiences were mostly positive. Noisy neighbors are just one of those things. I have a dog who lives next door and has barked since I moved in 5 years ago. How long do Beagles live, anyway? Owner told me she was 4 when I moved in . . . .

Here is the link:

Apartments in Nashville, TN | Colonial Grand at Bellevue

It may or may not work out location wise and of course, prices can change daily. You could always move your stuff into a storage unit and spend a month in one of those long term hotel places. There are some good ones in the Maryland Farms section of Brentwood.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,074,778 times
From the title of this thread I wasn't sure if this was going to be moved to the Relationships forum.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,074,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Online reviews are tough . . . I use Tripadvisor a lot for hotels and one person gives it one star and one gives it 5! Hard to know who to believe anymore. I do think basic human nature tends to drive people who have a problem, to take to the internet. People who are merely content don't bother. MAYBE a compliment but it does take effort to do a review and mad people seem to have more energy!
Yup. Online reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Frustrated people want to air their grievances online. On apartmentratings.com a complex in Donelson my friend lived in got a 33% but he really liked it. Only moved out because they raised the rent more than he wanted to pay. The VAST majority of people who have a normal experience don't take it to the internet.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:31 AM

7,956 posts, read 12,646,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

The ONLY apartment complex I have second hand knowledge of (two different friends lived there for quite a few years) is the Colonial Grand, in Bellevue. Both experiences were mostly positive. Noisy neighbors are just one of those things. I have a dog who lives next door and has barked since I moved in 5 years ago. How long do Beagles live, anyway? Owner told me she was 4 when I moved in . . . .

Here is the link:

Apartments in Nashville, TN | Colonial Grand at Bellevue

It may or may not work out location wise and of course, prices can change daily. You could always move your stuff into a storage unit and spend a month in one of those long term hotel places. There are some good ones in the Maryland Farms section of Brentwood.
Beagles can live a long time; some of the top longest lived dogs on record have been Beagles. I have a 23 year old Beagle mix myself.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM

Should I still look at 865 or just toss it as an option? All of the brand new stuff is astronomically expensive. But I'm willing to have a studio if it's under $1300 and >550 sq ft.

Last edited by thunderOne; 06-12-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 06:03 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,239,001 times
It would appear you don't have much time to decide & be picky. Have you been to Nashville or Bellevue? There could be other options nearby in older units that could be affordable. You could go for a short lease, or just do a month by month (expensive) & move.

another option may be to find a short stay hotel designed with month to month deals. Then you find exactly what commute to work is like. I did this at first, moving into a furnished unit until you fimd a apartment if you also need to get furniture, appliances, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:33 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,898,413 times
What about somewhere in Nolensville folks? It gets a high rating, except for COLA, and nothing says the OP has to stay there.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-26-2015 at 05:07 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
It would appear you don't have much time to decide & be picky. Have you been to Nashville or Bellevue? There could be other options nearby in older units that could be affordable. You could go for a short lease, or just do a month by month (expensive) & move.

another option may be to find a short stay hotel designed with month to month deals. Then you find exactly what commute to work is like. I did this at first, moving into a furnished unit until you fimd a apartment if you also need to get furniture, appliances, etc.
I certainly don't have time to be picky, but the options out there currently would make even picky people's head spin.

So far on my list I am visiting 865 Bellevue, Opus 29, Lofts at the Reserve, The Views Cumberland, Westwood (Gianikas), 3157 Parthenon Avenue, and possibly Avenue Nashville West. The rent prices for each of these is widely variant, but I feel as though I need to have a look at them before deciding. I guess I should go with the other poster's opinion about taking Apartment Ratings with a grain of salt. The average reviews for all of Nashville would probably fall at a 3.0 out of 5.0 or less.

Since I loathe moving, I really want to make sure I find a great place, so I don't feel the need to move after a year. Optimally, I should find a place to live for the next five years at a minimum. While the nicer places might be pushing my budget currently, I feel as though it would be easier later on down the road. That being said, it may be financially smarter to go ahead and rent somewhere I can comfortably pay and move later on. The pros and cons list I create in my head have the tendency to clash with one another.

Last edited by thunderOne; 06-13-2015 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 PM

I found a place! It's about one or two blocks away from Opus 29. The area looks pretty nice. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville