Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 01:17 PM

108 posts, read 118,984 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a young family in the beginning of 30's and mid 20's with a small child. Mother is a stay at home. Father just got a new job close to home, but we have toyed the idea of moving toward Nashville.

Not really in the middle of downtown, but we would like to be semi close. We love music and country music, and I am a drummer and come to Nashville every once in a while for music related activities.

I think I would be able to find a job in Nashville pretty easily, as I am in the IT field, and numerous companies use the software I support. I have also done IT in the healthcare field as well.

With that said, since we are currently on a single income, I would imagine that price range of homes would not really need to pass 200k, but who knows, I haven't checked what we can or cant afford.

I am not even sure where to start. Would one look for homes first, or jobs first? If I found a job, how does one move? Seem kind of stuck unless I happened to get a job that helped us relocate.

Safe neighborhoods / areas are a concern, and somewhere that is good for young children and young families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,043 times
Quote:
Not really in the middle of downtown, but we would like to be semi close.

price range of homes would not really need to pass 200k
These two statements do not jive. Everyone wants to be semi-close to downtown and therefore, prices have skyrocketed.

Quote:
Would one look for homes first, or jobs first?
JOBS!!!

Quote:
If I found a job, how does one move? Seem kind of stuck unless I happened to get a job that helped us relocate.
Very unlikely you'd get relo allowance, unless you had a very specialized skill that employers can't find here.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:24 PM

336 posts, read 441,046 times
Unless your paying cash for your house, your not gonna get a house without a job.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,052,221 times
Check here for houses and see what your money will get you in and around Nashville. Then feel free to run some neighborhoods, cities, by the folks on the forum. Also you can use the search option to see what has already been written!

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

Old 07-14-2015, 03:47 PM

108 posts, read 118,984 times
thanks,

we are still pondering this and I am thinking of starting my job search in that area. Suppose I do land a job offer in that area. What happens now?

I am new to moving, as my first house was easy to buy. Bought it at 22 yo. I have never had to sale a house, or move to a new area, so I am kind of lost on how we can pursue moving to a new area. How do you get a job and sale a house in a certain amount of time, and find something new. What do you do, if you have a job offer there, but cant get your house sold in time, etc?

Just really confused on how someone pursues something like this when currently have a mortgage and job?

Old 07-14-2015, 04:07 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,429,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civ View Post
How do you get a job and sale a house in a certain amount of time, and find something new.
Ah, there's the rub.

It won't happen without a certain degree of stress but hopefully you luck up and it goes well. As others have mentioned, I'd definitely say finding the job is #1. Once #1 is secured, #2 becomes selling your current home quickly but not desperately. How much are you willing to sell for, and how quickly, and how much less than asking price do you want to take in order to sell quickly? Hire a reputable and hard working agent. Hopefully your prospective employer will be open to giving you a few weeks to put your home up for sale and move. At this point you'll just have to decide if moving before the house is sold is worth the job or not...and if so...what kind of housing in Nashville do you take? Do you rush and try to find a home or look for a short-intermediate rental just to get in the market? So there is a set of dominos that have to fall and decisions you and your spouse have to make at each stage.

I definitely second CountryGirl's website recommendation of Realtracs. That will hopefully give you an idea of what's out there in the way of real estate. Nashville is booming and prices are up as you'd expect.

Some positives to making this move now are that it sounds like your child is not in school. So at least you won't be uprooting school friendships, etc. and this also gives you some flexibility on moving...you aren't committed to staying in your current home in the school year.

Negatives are the stress you're likely to encounter with the relocation. You're going to have to really want to come here to make it worth your while. Also, look into cost of living differences between Knoxville and Nashville. It's not likely to be significantly different, but I'd suspect Nashville will be more expensive.

Have you visited Nashville extensively yet? Do you have a feel for if Nashville's a good fit for you...or good enough to move from Knoxville (which is a good city in its own right)?

Hope that helps...and best of luck as you make these difficult decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville