Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
NO Nashvols I have lived here for over a year and it just doesn't compare to other cities I have lived in. It's great if you like to drink and party down that strip, but the farmers market doesn't compare (you just have no idea what other cities are doing... AMAZING)... the energy that the downtown gives off (other than the drinking and partying down the strip) doesn't compare to other cities I have lived in and visited downtown. Even more than the farmers market -- if you don't go to bars and listen to country music it's really a bore.
We don't advertise where the real action is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 04:33 PM

74 posts, read 89,798 times
Quote:
NO Nashvols I have lived here for over a year and it just doesn't compare to other cities I have lived in. It's great if you like to drink and party down that strip, but the farmers market doesn't compare (you just have no idea what other cities are doing... AMAZING)... the energy that the downtown gives off (other than the drinking and partying down the strip) doesn't compare to other cities I have lived in and visited downtown. Even more than the farmers market -- if you don't go to bars and listen to country music it's really a bore.
Dude, really? Your repetitive message seems somewhat strident. What's the problem? If you haven't already left Nashville, it may be time to go. Check out Minot, North Dakota...Their farmer's market is killer. Lemme know what you think.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:07 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Bye Felicia...

Old 06-18-2015, 08:27 PM

932 posts, read 899,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
So you are basing the comparison on one single weekend visit to the city?
Wasnt even a weekend. It was a Monday as he stated after a whole 4 days of nothing but partying downtown, plus it was hot has heck and there was another big concert at the football stadium that night. Im sure most was staying cool and resting up for the night

Old 06-18-2015, 10:32 PM

15 posts, read 58,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Wasnt even a weekend. It was a Monday as he stated after a whole 4 days of nothing but partying downtown, plus it was hot has heck and there was another big concert at the football stadium that night. Im sure most was staying cool and resting up for the night
That quote wasn't for me if you see it. It was for DigitalNomad143.

All I wanted to know if that's how usually Nashville is on a normal day or maybe if I was in the wrong area. Because I understand that if is hot you don't see people walking around but not seeing even cars? That was weird for me. In Miami is hot as balls as well and if you go to downtown you see people.

So bottom line I'm not making any assumption about how the city is, just asking a question.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo22 View Post
That quote wasn't for me if you see it. It was for DigitalNomad143.

All I wanted to know if that's how usually Nashville is on a normal day or maybe if I was in the wrong area. Because I understand that if is hot you don't see people walking around but not seeing even cars? That was weird for me. In Miami is hot as balls as well and if you go to downtown you see people.

So bottom line I'm not making any assumption about how the city is, just asking a question.
Not so much wrong area as wrong day. Monday isn't the greatest day to experience Nashville, but after CMA Fest, a lot of the tourist crowd has left, and the locals are still afraid to go near downtown....lol.

As for the traffic, that really depends on the time of day. People talk about how awful Nashville traffic is, and IMO, it really only applies during rush hour and special events. I'm not surprised that traffic was a breeze for you around noon. Most people are at work. There can be localized heavy traffic going to/from restaurants in some areas, but downtown would be a bit different as most people don't want to move their cars if they go to eat.

As far as the lack of activity away from Broadway....I would guess it's because of CMA Week. But it could also be if you were in a particular stretch of downtown. 2nd to 5th and Broadway to Union is where a lot of the downtown action is. The west side of downtown can feel dead for a variety of reasons. Then you have other hotspots around downtown and midtown where major employment centers are.

Central Nashville itself may be best described as a collection of active clusters, rather than one large contiguous urban spot. A lot of these clusters are beginning to grow together, but some of the gaps seem mysteriously dead (even if they are developed).

So to properly address your question, that is not a normal day in Nashville. However, you may have also been looking in some of the wrong areas for activity...for instance, you're not likely to see a lot of pedestrians strolling down West End Ave (a major thoroughfare), but just a couple streets over, Broadway and Division can be bustling with activity, because there are a lot of bars and restaurants on those streets (despite them being narrower and a bit less traveled).

Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
I'm honestly confused as to what you actually saw, or didn't see and don't understand what's so different than any other city? You describe it as a ghost town, when did you visit, in 1970? I'm confused... Whenever I'm downtown during a regular business day I see activity, people walking, mostly people who work on the area,also tourist, and if you don't see anything else you are going to see homeless people. If you would have waited until about 3:45 you would have noticed traffic forming on both sides of the downtown loop and could have follows the traffic all the way out to Antioch on I-24 or Hendersonville on I-65 to nearly 7:00... So again I'm a bit confused as to where you were, Nashville, TN??? Now you can't compare us to a New York, Chicago, Los Angeles or even Mami.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 AM

15 posts, read 58,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I'm honestly confused as to what you actually saw, or didn't see and don't understand what's so different than any other city? You describe it as a ghost town, when did you visit, in 1970? I'm confused... Whenever I'm downtown during a regular business day I see activity, people walking, mostly people who work on the area,also tourist, and if you don't see anything else you are going to see homeless people. If you would have waited until about 3:45 you would have noticed traffic forming on both sides of the downtown loop and could have follows the traffic all the way out to Antioch on I-24 or Hendersonville on I-65 to nearly 7:00... So again I'm a bit confused as to where you were, Nashville, TN??? Now you can't compare us to a New York, Chicago, Los Angeles or even Mami.
Comparing to Miami it looked like a ghost town, but even without the comparison it looked a bit empty to me. I was almost the whole day on downtown and from my hotel room I could see almost the whole city and I checked the traffic during peak hour and it wasn't that bad.

Maybe like nashvols said it was a wrong day and also the weather had something to do with it. But hey, I like a city like that, I hate traffic and crowded places so for me that day was perfect.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:52 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Kimbo -- we were in the city on a weekend and it was empty as well. We lived in Madison, WI which has WAY LESS people and the weekends were what the city was about. The farmers market in Madison is the best I have seen in the country and Nashville's farmers market was lacking and boring. We rented bikes and rode around a few times and the city as far as exploring outdoors was a total drag other than the three of us having fun on our own. Cannot wait to move from this place.
OK we got it. Nashville the empty city, recovery from nuclear detonation yet to commence. Them huge 3000+ acre parks with hills in Nashville, just doesn't make up for that flatness you get in Florida. Ref: Visit - Friends of Warner Parks

And we got it -a dour contributor that doesn't like seasons, and is expert in local musical tastes, where maybe half the population is not native. And food in Nashville just sucks just like all the inhabitants.

OK I decided to see how the teeming metropolis of Madison, WI compared to Nashville in terms of yearly hours of sunlight. I found a list, and the boomtown of Madison didn't make the list. So we will compare Nashville and Milwaukee:

Nashville total hours: 2510 & clear days: 102
Milwaukee total hours: 2484 & clear days: 90

ref: Average Annual Sunshine in US Cities - Current Results

So it turns out that contributor is really happier with fewer clear days than Middle TN can offer.

Quote:
We rented bikes and rode around a few times and the city as far as exploring outdoors was a total drag other than the three of us having fun on our own.
Yep had fun but it was a TOTAL fun-filled drag. Explore the whole metro on them bikes yeah. Pedaled out to Beaman Park a 1000 acre wasteland turns out. Nashville > Parks and Recreation > Nature Centers and Natural Areas > Beaman Park Nature Center > Beaman Park

Quote:
Cannot wait to move from this place.
Wait is entirely optional.

Looking forward to contributor contributing to another board instead of this one. Hope it isn't Houston, where people been waiting for sunshine for 15 days.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Monday night the Germantown area was hopping. Sounds game, all the new restaurants - so many cars you had trouble parking.

Why would we stay downtown when there are so many other neighborhoods to go to? (Though there are some fun new places downtown, off Broadway.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville