Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,884 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am considering relocating to TN from Arizona next year and I have a few questions. I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times, but I've searched the forums and can't find any relevant or recent threads.

I am looking for a town pretty much anywhere in North-Central TN that would have all of the basic necessities (restaurants, a mall, Starbucks lol), good schools, and most importantly, in my price range! Looking for a 4 bedroom (or more) home in a safe area, with a decent-sized yard or on a bit of land if it's out in the country, with rent $1200 a month or lower. I currently pay $1050 a month for a 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 3,000 sq ft home in AZ.

I have researched Murfreesboro, Mount Juliet, Clarksville, Franklin, Hendersonville, and Columbia, and EVERYTHING seems to be out of my price range, with homes starting at $1600 for less bedrooms and way smaller than what I have now.

Is average rent in TN really $1600-$3000??? Or am I looking in the wrong places?

Suggestions on towns or areas to search would be greatly appreciated! I don't mind living a bit out in the country; 20-30 minutes to the nearest Walmart or Olive Garden is fine. It is also important to have a GOOD middle school/high school nearby for my son, who will be going into 8th grade.

Also, while I'm asking questions, I'm an elementary school teacher with 3 years of experience and a Masters degree. Is it difficult to get teaching jobs over there? I left Indiana a few years ago because it was impossible to get a full-time teaching position, but I'm hoping that prospects in TN will be better, especially now that I have some teaching experience.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,057 times
This web site may help you, regarding teaching jobs,

Department of Education 404 Page - TN.Gov

As far as rent, I would be surprised if you can find similar housing in Middle Tn for the price you are currently paying.

The only rental on our rural, one lane road, is next to us. It is a tiny 1950's era cottage that isn't as nice as our 2-1/2 car garage and about as big. It was getting rented for $600/month plus utilities until somebody finally bought it. I am still dazed and amazed the old owner got that much money but everyone tells me, a house that size that is in town, rents for more. And we are an Ag county!

With Nashville now the new "It" city, the price of housing (rentals and sales) seem to be climbing everywhere.

As far as where the best schools would be, I am of no help as I retired to this area from another state; I had no interest in caliber of schools. I do know there is no school bus pick up on my road, it is so outdated, with long hills, hairpin curves , camel humps and barely enough room for two compact cars to pass.

Hopefully others will come in with more information for you

Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
$1200 a month will be very difficult, and even if you find something you consider acceptable it'll be nothing like what it sounds like you've got in AZ.

Williamson County has the best schools but a high price tag comes with it. Wilson and Sumner counties (Mt Juliet and Hendersonville) are probably next on the list in no order, but you'll find people that would tell you Murfreesboro's schools are fine also. The housing costs here are rising rapidly and you may continue to have difficulty finding something you like in your price range or even a little above it.

As far as the jobs go, I can't help you on that one.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 AM

74 posts, read 89,740 times
Have you even tried to Google teaching jobs around Nashville? Just curious. These were the first few hits...

Check out:
Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools jobs - Indeed Mobile

or,
Teacher jobs in Nashville, TN - Indeed Mobile

or,
Find Teaching Jobs in Nashville, TN | Simply Hired

or,
Tennessee Charter School Incubator Job Board

Old 06-28-2015, 10:09 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Also keep in mind that once you find a teaching job, you'll likely be taking a pay cut in addition to the higher cost of living. Compare online information.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:03 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
If it's just you and your son, maybe you won't NEED 5 bedrooms here in Nashville? Still, as people have been saying, rents seem to be much higher than they are in AZ. You could maybe find a 2 bedroom for $1200, if that would work for you?

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 40,357 times
I rent a 2BR house out in Nashville for $1200/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville