Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,006 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

This is my first time posting anything on here. I have been researching areas within and around Nashville. My boyfriend and I have been living in NY our whole lives. He is a cook/musician and I am a compliance analyst for a large financial institution. We are both spent with the fast paced lifestyle and wish to try a new start. Frightening as such a relocation might be, our minds are set on leaving the city.

His previous job was in a hospital preparing and cooking dinners for 300+ patients.
I have worked for a bank for the last 20 yrs. My background within included, HR benefits, Admin. Asst., and currently a compliance analyst. I am looking to leave the financial institution because of its constant bank mergers which always leaves me unsure of a secure job (which is extremely stressful).

We are both hard workers in search of a honest and decent living where we can enjoy life and each others company...not much to ask, huh? lol......

We do not have much money saved and will need to find jobs as quickly as possible. (probably enough to get us by for a few months). We are looking for an easy commute and a nice save/private apartment to live. I do not drive so I will need to be in a town/community where I can easily walk to a store or catch a train/bus to work. I have been reading that public transportation is limited but are there any areas that anyone might be able to suggest.

We are planning a road trip in August and would like to take this opportunity to look through several towns and get a feel for what Nashville can offer us and vise versa.

Anyone with any information? It would be so helpful to gather as much knowledge as possible before our trip in order to get the most out of it. We are both in our 40's so we are not looking for a noisy night life but more of a peaceful, pleasant and beautiful place to reside in the next phase of our lives.

Regards,

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:01 AM

74 posts, read 89,808 times
Cathy, first of all - welcome, I hope you're able to make your move. It's difficult to answer some of your questions without knowing where you'll be working...so much will hinge on that fact - combined with your need for accessible, reliable public transport. Your rental budget is another key piece of info needed. That said, and assuming you may work in downtown /Midtown areas: focus for now on the main spokes of the Nashville road wheel - and their adjacent neighborhoods. Gallatin Pike, Charlotte Pike, Nolensville Pike, West End/Harding, 21st Ave./Hillsboro Rd, 12th Ave, 8th Ave/Franklin Pike.....there are a multitude of housing and neighborhood choices along those corridors, all of which have bus service to the downtown hub. Neighborhoods range from quiet/sedate to urban/happening. Hop on one of the real estate sites like Zillow or Trulia and map the rentals shown...and start to get a feel before you visit. It'll make your time more efficient when you come. Finally, we have one commuter rail line running between downtown and eastern suburbs. Check out neighborhoods along the Music City Star line....Mt. Juliet, etc. Finally, if y'all do move here - I'd strongly encourage you to pursue jobs downtown or on an inner ring corridor to help with the public transportation need.
Good luck!

Old 07-19-2015, 12:52 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
I'm not sure I would move here if you don't drive. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just want you to have a realistic expectations.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm not sure I would move here if you don't drive. I'm not trying to be discouraging, just want you to have a realistic expectations.
Yes, that is going to be a HUGE adjustment.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:20 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That is probably the major reason one or more of my former coworkers did not relocate here. After visiting, they found it would be very difficult (and that would have been living and working downtown).

Old 07-19-2015, 02:59 PM

I think you not driving is an ussiw, but nowhere near to a deal killer. There are any thousands here who use public transit to commute to and from work each day - and that's been going on for decades. Some of those bus users are friends. Your choice of workplace and abode locale will be ultra-critical. Also of note is a plan by metro Nashville in the near term (1-3 years) to invest in more and better buses serving critical need corridors. Get on metro nashville website and do some research. Again, good luck....what you want can be done with some forthought and planning.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Sorry, that should've read 'issue' ...not "ussiw"...as in : Willie1212 obviously has an 'issue' with the predictive typing on his smartphone.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:26 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I just don't see Nashville as being a good choice. Apartments are not cheap - especially close to downtown.

My advice is to go to the "general US" forum and search for some of the many threads about living car-free.

My first thought is Atlanta - or maybe a smaller city where apartments aren't quite so much in demand and biking is a possibility. With your BF's specialty it might help to research cities with job openings for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville