Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 AM

31 posts, read 45,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieGuillen View Post
We live off Sneed in Grassland/Franklin. We lived in East Nashville after moving from New Orleans from where we moved to after living in Chicago for almost a decade (which is why I signed up to post in your thread).

The reason we moved to the burbs was because of schools. We actually had our oldest attend Julia Green Elementary in Green Hills for a year. We rented there but just decided we would get more value moving out to Williamson County (although it is not really that much further).

So - Green Hills and Forest Hills might be an option for you. Anything in the Julia Green Elementary school or Percey Priest Elementary School District - those are great schools.
The problem, though, is that it gets slightly more dicey as you go to Moore Middle and then Hillsboro High. I mean those are good schools and produce great kids and graduates, but there is some cause for concern.
Thank you for this post. Our family is in almost the exact same situation as the original poster. We'd prefer to live in Nashville, but we hear mixed things about the schools.

Can you say exactly what makes these schools dicey? Are they dangerous? Is the quality of instruction lower? Right now, we live in a community in which, on paper, the schools have scores that are pretty low, but the reality is that the quality of instruction is high. The scores are low because there are many students who don't speak English or come from a poorer economic background, but because the teachers are good, we've been pretty happy with school. I can't tell if the same is true of places like Moore Middle and Hillsboro High, or whether these schools simply have poorer teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooow View Post
Thank you for this post. Our family is in almost the exact same situation as the original poster. We'd prefer to live in Nashville, but we hear mixed things about the schools.

Can you say exactly what makes these schools dicey? Are they dangerous? Is the quality of instruction lower? Right now, we live in a community in which, on paper, the schools have scores that are pretty low, but the reality is that the quality of instruction is high. The scores are low because there are many students who don't speak English or come from a poorer economic background, but because the teachers are good, we've been pretty happy with school. I can't tell if the same is true of places like Moore Middle and Hillsboro High, or whether these schools simply have poorer teachers.
I wouldn't say Hillsboro is dangerous. But it is more dangerous than any school in Williamson County - if that makes sense.
Hillsboro also has the AP coursework across the board and I think good teachers (at least as of a few years ago when we were checking out schools). I would have been fairly happy sending my children to Hillsboro.

I guess the "dicey" part of it concerns the fact that you have a relatively large portion of students that don't value education much at all. And that spans across economic lines - meaning its not just the predominantly economically disadvantaged.

But just to be clear - Hillsboro is a good school, and while I cannot be certain - it does seem like it has good teachers.

Also, if you stay in Nashville you have the chance of getting into the magnet schools: Meigs and Head for middle and then Hume Fogg and MLK for high school. Both of which would be in the top 4 or 5 if in Williamson County, and quite possibly first and second - in terms of academics.
One final thought - there are some things I do not like about Williamson County schools, and that Nashville schools do better. Obviously no district is going to be perfect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville