Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No more free hockery tickets for you!

;-)
I don't know anything about hockery anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I don't know anything about hockery anyway!
Oh, great, I've been caught by the typo police . . .

Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 PM

270 posts, read 796,575 times
Since akm4 lost his free hockey ticket privileges can I get them if I move down?? )

Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post
Since akm4 lost his free hockey ticket privileges can I get them if I move down?? )
Uh, oh. Akm4 is a her, not a guy. If you watched the Forget the Lyrics TV show a couple of weeks ago you would have seen her.

Oh, let's ask her why she went for the $250,000 prize when she didn't have any backups left!

;-)

Old 01-25-2008, 04:21 PM

My appologies to amk4 ! I don't get to watch TV to much so I didn't see it...did she win anything?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
My appologies to amk4 ! I don't get to watch TV to much so I didn't see it...did she win anything?
$25,000.

Actually, she was terrific on the show until, well, that last decision.

;-)

Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,582 times
Smile NY to TN

Quote:
Looking for some former New Yorkers (Upstate preferably but not necessarily) who relocated to Nashville, Tennessee area to give some differences on the 2 states. Things you learned that you didn't expect, biggest differences? Thanks for any info you can give
Well, you will likely love it here in TN. My family and I moved here to middle TN about 30 years ago, from Long Island, Sagaponack, to be exact. It was very laid back in the town where we first lived. They were friendly, but suspicious. There are many more "transplants" here now, so natives think nothing of having a neighbor from NY.
The schools were not up to our expectations either in the first town, so we later moved to Murfreesboro and it has proven to be very nice. The schools are very good and the university is a big draw. With 4 children, that was a major concern for us. One of my daughters now teaches German in the same high school she attended.
The town has grown by leaps and bounds and you will find that to be the case in most of the towns within 30 miles of Nashville.
As far as hunting goes, I do not hunt,but know some hunters who go here and there constantly bagging whatever is in season. They could and would be happy to give you pointers. You might also contact some of the hunting groups for their thoughts.
Don't forget your "deer whistles" when you come here. They are not as easy to find here as in upstate NY. You will still see deer standing on the roads when you drive out in the country, even though, it isn't to lick the salt.
You will likely find the real estate taxes to be much lower than NY and at present, there is no personal tax. That should make you smile.
All sorts of foods can be found at the wonderful assortment of grocery stores and you won't need so many heavy winter clothes. Hardly any time will you have to shovel snow, and when it does snow, everyone stays home. The schools close and no milk can be found on grocery shelves. It makes for much conversation and is broadcast constantly on the tv news.
I wish you a happy move.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks for all the info grangigi I do think I will be very happy there! I will be visiting in February and hopefully a resident this summer!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grangigi View Post
Well, you will likely love it here in TN. My family and I moved here to middle TN about 30 years ago, from Long Island, Sagaponack, to be exact. It was very laid back in the town where we first lived. They were friendly, but suspicious. There are many more "transplants" here now, so natives think nothing of having a neighbor from NY.
The schools were not up to our expectations either in the first town, so we later moved to Murfreesboro and it has proven to be very nice. The schools are very good and the university is a big draw. With 4 children, that was a major concern for us. One of my daughters now teaches German in the same high school she attended.
The town has grown by leaps and bounds and you will find that to be the case in most of the towns within 30 miles of Nashville.
As far as hunting goes, I do not hunt,but know some hunters who go here and there constantly bagging whatever is in season. They could and would be happy to give you pointers. You might also contact some of the hunting groups for their thoughts.
Don't forget your "deer whistles" when you come here. They are not as easy to find here as in upstate NY. You will still see deer standing on the roads when you drive out in the country, even though, it isn't to lick the salt.
You will likely find the real estate taxes to be much lower than NY and at present, there is no personal tax. That should make you smile.
All sorts of foods can be found at the wonderful assortment of grocery stores and you won't need so many heavy winter clothes. Hardly any time will you have to shovel snow, and when it does snow, everyone stays home. The schools close and no milk can be found on grocery shelves. It makes for much conversation and is broadcast constantly on the tv news.
I wish you a happy move.
You couldn't find Milk on the shelves in NJ either. It was like they were going to be snowed in for weeks!! My husband bought a shovel when we moved here, it has sat in the garage collecting dust.
To the OP, you won't find all that much difference here except its not as rushed, and most of the people are more polite. Of course there some exceptions but more likely they are from somewhere else.
Diane G

Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 PM

58 posts, read 149,601 times
Quote:
Looking for some former New Yorkers (Upstate preferably but not necessarily) who relocated to Nashville, Tennessee area to give some differences on the 2 states. Things you learned that you didn't expect, biggest differences? Thanks for any info you can give
Hi There.
We too moved from upstate NY to TN. I really miss my friends and family in a way I can't really express.
I'd rather talk over coffee than on silly lists. I am new to this and I noticed that it's easy to ruffle feathers without meaning to; and that's not my gig. (If I ruffle feathers, I will surely do it intentionally.)

Anyway, in a very small nutshell: HUGE difference between NY and TN. I'm sure you noticed the good and bad by now. Like anywhere.
Differences that are not a question of locale, rather the condition of humanity itself.
Southerners are not as quick as Yanks (in my personal but not professional experience,) but in most cases, they are typically waaaay sweeter. Again, my personal-actual experience. They are just not in a hurry to get anything done... ever.
My biggest complaint is the clay soil!!! What the heck? How can I start a garden?? What grows in clay? And the drought, and the heat of course. All of which I can adjust to.
What I cannot adjust to is having no one to call, no one to go out with, no one to talk to, no one for my daughter to play with, no one to watch her so I can have 5 minutes alone, etc. We're out in the boonies a bit, and yet only 6 miles off I-75.
Isolation is toxic. Get out, do things.
I really want to start a club for transplants, specifically northerners. Wanna join?
Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville