Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 03:01 PM

473 posts, read 520,611 times

Advertisements

OP, I was in the same boat as you five years ago, with the same wishlist. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, what we want is mutually exclusive. It may indeed be that things will change as Nashville grows. You asked where other liberals send their kids. Here's what I've seen:

1) Williamson County schools. I personally don't know anyone, liberal or conservative, who's been unhappy with the WC school district, current school board controversy notwithstanding. (And you should read up on it if you go that route.) The demographics here do tend to be shifting, slowly. Also, the WCS teachers I know (socially) tend to be more liberal than not for whatever that's worth.

2) Private school, namely USN. But see my caveat above. It's one of the most competitive (and priciest) options here.

3) Davidson County schools. I know a handful of families who have kids at Hillsboro High. All seem happy enough. I wonder if things there will improve as fewer high income, secular newcomers choose private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
OP, I was in the same boat as you five years ago, with the same wishlist. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, what we want is mutually exclusive. It may indeed be that things will change as Nashville grows. You asked where other liberals send their kids. Here's what I've seen:

2) Private school, namely USN. But see my caveat above. It's one of the most competitive (and priciest) options here.
This is makes me so frustrated.. People on here say "just live in davidson and do private" as if it so simple. If they don't want to live in the burbs because they are liberal they aren't going to be happy with most of the private school choices in Davidson. It is next to impossible to get into secular private school as there is high demand and not a lot of slots and without having a connection already there pretty hard. We got into a secular private school when we moved here, but it probably helped that my husband was recruited to relocate here and his boss was on the board of directors of said school.

If OP wants open and inclusive and doesn't think she'll find it Williamson county, she's not going to find it at CPA, EHCA, Davidson Academy, Lipscomb etc either.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:23 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
I wouldn't assume the middle and high schools are bad in the Hillsboro cluster. I have friends who send their kids to both middles and Hillsboro high and swear by them. There is an International Bacc program at all of them that students can choose that performs very well on standardized tests.

The elementaries in this cluster are uniformly great. Waking, Percy Priest, Julia Green, Sylvan Park, and Waverly Belmont are all going to offer some degree of diversity with high performance.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,637 times
I dont know if you are still looking for a place in Nashville for your family. I am currently going thru a divorce with three little girls and feel that I have the exact wants for my family. I want OUT of the suburbs and would love for my girls to grow up in a more diverse urban life. Walking from place to place, public parks, culture etc...
I have been searching high and low. My price range is much lower than yours Im looking to rent an apartment. But I wanted to ask if you had looked into the Germantown or Hillsboro areas. Both are very close to downtown you can catch a bus and be there within minutes, but lean a little more to suburban like atmosphere. East Nashville is also a place you may want to look at as its gotten caught up in the revitalization also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville