U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 41,923 times

Advertisements

I also am looking into moving to Nashville TN for myself and son's. One son has an associate degree in Recordinfg Arts from Full Sail in Orlando FL. My other son is college student but also very athletic, both are in their 20's. I believe the oldest with the RA degree will have more opportunities than in Ohio were we currently live. I have associate in Applied Science (Human Service) and Im very close to getting my BA in SWK. Im currently working as a Service Coordinator for NCR housing. They do own properties in Nashville but no current openings. I'm looking for work in the social service field in Nashville if anyone knows of any. I would like to move there this coming fall. I will be looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom house. If anyone has any information on all the above please advise me. Thank you very much, oh and how is the average weather?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 41,389 times
Hello. I am currently a 22 year old looking to move from MA to TN. I am looking to move to Nashville. I have been in the south before (never TN) and I just love the atmosphere and hospitality of the south. I am making a trip down to Nashville next month to look for apartments before I make the big move. Any suggestions to a young adult moving down south alone?

I would appreciate anything that you can tell me.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM

957 posts, read 3,488,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville has a very strong, very stable job market.
Depends on what field you're in. We contract lot of manufacturing type work out of state just because we can't find qualified employees to do it in house. We are spending some money on automation this year in hopes of bringing more work back in house, but that equipment will also replace people.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:05 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,781,148 times
1. How is the job market - is Nashville the kind of town you can find a job easily or should we have a solid job before moving?

The job market here may be slowly growing. That said, you do need to have some prospects for the type of work you do. You may need to be flexible if you want a job at an insurance co or work insurance in a finance co.

2. Is the town geared more for families, young couples, urban professionals?

Depends on the area of town you finally settle in. Then you can look at schools, entertainment, shopping, church family, etc. Nashville has a reputation where celebrities can come in and blend into the mix without being bothered. Music City draws talent for most types of music to make & record here. They still shop at Kroger for groceries. The Grand Old Opry loves to have visitors from anywhere to come and enjoy the show.

3. Is it better to start renting or buy a house?

I'd rent before buying. Then you can move depending on your transit needs. Some areas of town have a safer reputation. Also depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I appreciate any positive and negative traits anyone would like to share about the city. We do not have any children and I am also looking to start law school in the next year, but I hope that I can fall back on my insurance background to find a job easy.

Given the poor economy, there may be no "easy" jobs unless you get something temporary to pay the bills till a good job turns up. Sports revolve around the Titans and Predators.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,030,845 times
To answer a few of the questions that people have thrown into this thread:

1. Yes, if you're coming from the North (I suspect that includes Indianapolis), Nashvillians will by and large seem warm, welcoming and friendly. Unless you are competing for a parking space at the Green Hills Mall.

2. If you are moving from Indianapolis to get away from traffic, you are making a big mistake. Nashville and Middle TN are growing fast. Traffic is a disaster during rush hours on the interstates and pretty much at all times in certain areas (like near the Green Hills Mall). Nashville has some of the least mass transit for a city its size (although the bus system is slowly improving), which means everybody drives, which means traffic can be very bad, especially if you are commuting from one of the less expensive outlying suburbs. (Not Atlanta/NYC/Chicago/DC/Boston bad, but those cities have public transit alternatives and Nashville does not.)

3. The roads are narrow and winding. That means practically no bike lanes. I haven't been to visit Indy, but I hear your city is actually doing great things in expanding its bike lane network. Many parts of town do not have sidewalks and things are spread out. Again, just emphasizing that you will most likely need to drive everywhere unless you live right Downtown or in certain areas quite close to Downtown.

4. Nashville is big enough to have plenty of neighborhoods to suit almost anyone -- rich, low-income, alternative, yuppie, young family, empty nester, etc.

5. Rent before you buy. It takes time to figure out which neighborhoods you like best.

6. Job market -- a growing city means more opportunities, but also lots of competition from people moving to town. For people trying to make it in the music biz, think of it like trying to be an actor in LA -- sure, you're more likely to find opportunities, but you're up against everyone else in the world who wants to be an actor.

7. Weather -- hot and humid in the summers (expect 3-4 months of temps in the 90s), strong storms in the spring (tornado season), can be beautiful in the fall, surprisingly cold in the winter (average lows are in the 20s). We have much less snowfall than most Northern cities, but Nashville actually probably has the coldest weather of any Southern city. We're often 10 degrees colder than either Memphis or Atlanta. And we do have ice storms (and freezing fog) occasionally, which make the country roads pretty dangerous.

8. Taxes - No state income tax Sales tax is therefore obviously kind of high (around 9-10%, I think). Still, I prefer having higher sales tax and no income tax. There are definitely property taxes if you own. For a $500,000 house in Nashville proper, I think you would pay around $5,000 annually in property tax (supporting schools, police, fire dept, road maintenance, etc.) Taxes would probably be around $3500 for such a house in the suburbs. Obviously less expensive houses/apartments would pay less in taxes.

Not trying to scare anyone away. Just good to make a move with your eyes open, knowing both good and bad.

Personally, I really like living in Nashville, but no place is perfect.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 AM

722 posts, read 1,960,663 times
Here is an example of the friendliness of Nashville. We were in Rivergate Mall and went to the food court. They have the merry go round there and my daughter wanted to ride (of course being 3). I asked if i could pay with a debit card because i didnt have any cash with me. They didnt so we were walking back to our seat when a lady came up and handed my daughter 2 dollars so she could ride the merry go round.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
anz

27 posts, read 93,450 times
I found it fascinating that everyone is so friendly. Every place I went people would say hello or wave. People at the local supermarket just start a conversation with you and ask how you are doing, and they really are interested. I'm from Buffalo and as my father in law said. In Buffalo if someone waves to you you're looking for your wallet. Down in Nashville when someone waves to you they just want to say hello. I can't wait to move down someday.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM

15 posts, read 74,452 times
that's awesome!! can't wait to move down to nashville from chicago. down to 4 months and counting.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM

52 posts, read 121,454 times
Great comments from all!

In my opinion there is not much to do in Nashville (except "Listening to Music") and so I am feeling borred. I have stayed in Orlando and Dallas for almost an year and to this day I feel like moving to a bigger city (Dallas or Chicago) so that I can have more fun and meet people with diverse background and interest.

I have heard great things about NC and the job prospects are really good over there.

*This is my personal opinion - No offence to people who love Nashville

Old 02-14-2012, 10:12 PM

63 posts, read 161,016 times
I've had a similar experience everytime I've visited: in general people in Nashville are incredibly friendly. Looking forward to moving there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville