U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 AM

722 posts, read 1,963,930 times

Advertisements

I lived in both Chicago and Dallas, most recently moving here from Dallas. I found Dallas to have everything there but to be very vanilla. A nice place to live but I wouldnt want to visit is the quote I heard once. Chicago again has everything you need but is dirty, cold, and with ridiculous taxes, tolls, fees, etc. Voted most corrupt city in US again recently.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 74,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
I lived in both Chicago and Dallas, most recently moving here from Dallas. I found Dallas to have everything there but to be very vanilla. A nice place to live but I wouldnt want to visit is the quote I heard once. Chicago again has everything you need but is dirty, cold, and with ridiculous taxes, tolls, fees, etc. Voted most corrupt city in US again recently.
i agree. chicago is becoming a very expensive place to live well not only chicago but illinois in general. i've lived here 38 yrs and it's time to leave!!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:36 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,156,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
1. How is the job market - is Nashville the kind of town you can find a job easily or should we have a solid job before moving?

The job market here may be slowly growing. That said, you do need to have some prospects for the type of work you do. You may need to be flexible if you want a job at an insurance co or work insurance in a finance co.

2. Is the town geared more for families, young couples, urban professionals?

Depends on the area of town you finally settle in. Then you can look at schools, entertainment, shopping, church family, etc. Nashville has a reputation where celebrities can come in and blend into the mix without being bothered. Music City draws talent for most types of music to make & record here. They still shop at Kroger for groceries. The Grand Old Opry loves to have visitors from anywhere to come and enjoy the show.

3. Is it better to start renting or buy a house?

I'd rent before buying. Then you can move depending on your transit needs. Some areas of town have a safer reputation. Also depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I appreciate any positive and negative traits anyone would like to share about the city. We do not have any children and I am also looking to start law school in the next year, but I hope that I can fall back on my insurance background to find a job easy.

Given the poor economy, there may be no "easy" jobs unless you get something temporary to pay the bills till a good job turns up. Sports revolve around the Titans and Predators.
Having lived in Nashville for a couple of years now, I agree with this. Nashville's job market is definitely getting stronger but my experience has been that you can certainly make much more money in other cities depending on your line of work. Nashville is HUGE into healthcare. If you're a doctor/nurse/etc you've come to the right place. I've had a lot of friends change jobs/do contract work the past couple of years. I would suggest trying to land a job before you come (maybe you already have, I haven't read every post in the thread yet, forgive me). I feel like for most stable jobs you can earn a pretty decent living but the cost of living in general for this area is rising quite substantially.
My wife and I met here and got married here. My experience is that most areas closer to downtown are oriented toward singles or young couples. It is a family friendly city for the most part but it strikes me as being more optimal for young couples. Nashville has lots of great cultural opportunities (restaurants, events, concerts, etc) but the schools near "downtown" aren't good. Most families I know of that are more established have moved out of the city limits to areas like spring hill/thompsons station or hendersonville etc. Living in areas like brentwood/franklin can get very expensive very quick, and also traffic commuting (anywhere during peak hours) can be very bad. Even since I've moved here (4ish years ago) I've seen the traffic patterns significantly worsen. I would suggest renting before buying to get an idea of the all the areas. Keep in the mind the housing market is blowing up and very competitive (houses often selling within a day or two easily) which is also driving up the rent cost.
Overall, people are pretty friendly here and it's a very enjoyable place to live but it's popularity has made some things about the city (traffic, getting around) not so enjoyable, especially because the highway system isn't optimized to handle the growing influx of commuters. I wish you and your family the best.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM

3,947 posts, read 3,836,655 times
Did you note that you are responding to a post from 01-29-2008?

Old 01-01-2016, 01:53 PM

223 posts, read 229,051 times
It's good to get a modern perspective on an old question to get a sense of how things have changed. I'm one of the newer prospective residents who appreciates a up to date take on things. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding a job but still plugging away. (Have HP Indigo experience, will relocate!)
Been reading quite a bit about commuting challenges, which is why I'd want a job first so I can live reasonably close by. I guess with an explosion of growth comes traffic headaches. Efficient public transit is a major draw for a lot of people-I switched jobs a couple of years ago (in Chicago), and haven't driven once to work. Been to Nashville several times for job interviews, and traffic didn't seem that bad although I was not driving in rush hour traffic.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:50 AM

783 posts, read 815,160 times
Nashville is definitely on my radar. I currently live in San Antonio. I have lived in Atlanta, DC area, and a few other places on the east coast.

Right now San Antonio seems like a very big small town. A very homogenous culture in which I do not fit in, compared with somewhere like a major metropolitan city such as Atlanta or DC where you can find something to fit into. I do like the appeal of a nascent small town growing into something major and being in the tech field I have more mobility.

No state tax is appealing and a place with four seasons is something I desire considering I'm missing it greatly in Texas. Only a few hours way from family in the Atlanta area sounds good also.

My only concerns are the friendliness of people, diversity, things to do as an active early 30s year old black male. Family and kids eventually but I will cross that bridge when it comes

Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM

8,123 posts, read 6,423,485 times
Pros: Art is embraced, diverse, shopping, very friendly people, dining, economy, affordability, cultural offerings, proximity to Midwestern and Southern Cities.
Cons: Atlanta growth without Atlanta infrastructure, NIMBYs, state political structure hold's back its potential, traffic, behind peer cities in infrastructure and urban planning, lack of affordable housing, homeless/panhandler issues.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:07 AM

831 posts, read 1,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
Nashville is definitely on my radar. I currently live in San Antonio. I have lived in Atlanta, DC area, and a few other places on the east coast.

Right now San Antonio seems like a very big small town. A very homogenous culture in which I do not fit in, compared with somewhere like a major metropolitan city such as Atlanta or DC where you can find something to fit into. I do like the appeal of a nascent small town growing into something major and being in the tech field I have more mobility.

No state tax is appealing and a place with four seasons is something I desire considering I'm missing it greatly in Texas. Only a few hours way from family in the Atlanta area sounds good also.

My only concerns are the friendliness of people, diversity, things to do as an active early 30s year old black male. Family and kids eventually but I will cross that bridge when it comes
You and I have had this conversation over on the SA board months ago, you know my feelings on you looking at Nashville. If the friendliness of the people, diversity and things to do are your biggest concerns, I am surprised you're not already here. Nashville has all those things. Not to mention, tech is booming here.

Bonus: Half the billboards here aren't in Spanish!

Old 01-15-2016, 01:27 AM

783 posts, read 815,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
You and I have had this conversation over on the SA board months ago, you know my feelings on you looking at Nashville. If the friendliness of the people, diversity and things to do are your biggest concerns, I am surprised you're not already here. Nashville has all those things. Not to mention, tech is booming here.

Bonus: Half the billboards here aren't in Spanish!
Ha I was actually going to interview you LOL and I actually am looking at some opportunities, mostly remote, right now.

I intended to visit last month when I was in Atlanta but just didn't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville