Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Nashville is famous for dulcet harmonies and whiskey-soaked ballads, but its new tune is daring cuisine and restaurants with patrons flying on private jets. A longtime habitue traces the evolution of the city's red-hot food scene.​

Read more:

The Delicious Reason the Jet Set is Heading to Nashville

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 03:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
I'd like to think I was on the vanguard of this. :-)

Quote:
many of them hungry and discriminating in their tastes

Old 01-12-2016, 04:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I'd like to think I was on the vanguard of this. :-)
I'm not sure that getting dragged here kicking and screaming is the same as "jet setting."

Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I'm not sure that getting dragged here kicking and screaming is the same as "jet setting."
I flew on a jet.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
I flew on a jet once, and then ate somewhere.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:59 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I wonder if another part of this could be Nashville's (historically at least) laid back attitude on celebrities. We've generally been a "smile and nod, but don't bother them" type city when it comes to celebrities. Not sure if that has changed recently or not, but based on the very small sample size of personal recent sightings, the celebs were just left alone...though maybe no one knew who they were.

In any case, great food + paparazzi free environs + citizenry who generally don't bother folks + "it city" = sure, let's fly in and eat at Margot's for dinner.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
I ate at a table next to Jack Klugman once... and another time two tables over from Tom Cruise... and another time, Judy Collins... and another time Gene Simmons... and another time Tony Bennett... and another time The Judd ladies... all in Nashville. And nobody even gawked at them.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:48 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I wonder if another part of this could be Nashville's (historically at least) laid back attitude on celebrities. We've generally been a "smile and nod, but don't bother them" type city when it comes to celebrities. Not sure if that has changed recently or not, but based on the very small sample size of personal recent sightings, the celebs were just left alone...though maybe no one knew who they were.

In any case, great food + paparazzi free environs + citizenry who generally don't bother folks + "it city" = sure, let's fly in and eat at Margot's for dinner.
That is a very interesting and valid point. I hope that aspect of Nashville never changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
I ate at a table next to Jack Klugman once... and another time two tables over from Tom Cruise... and another time, Judy Collins... and another time Gene Simmons... and another time Tony Bennett... and another time The Judd ladies... all in Nashville. And nobody even gawked at them.
I love that!

I remember once eating out in Nashville with my parents, and Eddie Arnold was at the next table. I had no idea who he was, but my parents sure did. When I asked my parents if I could go get Mr. Arnold's autograph, they informed me that in Nashville, we just don't do that, that Mr. Arnold and all other celebrities deserved to be left alone so they could enjoy a nice, quiet dinner just like the rest of us. That is definitely the Nashville way. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the reasons, as DonCorleone said, that some celebrities will jet into Nashville. Not only does Nashville have some fantastic restaurants, but celebrities can be out in public here and be left alone.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-14-2016, 07:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is a very interesting and valid point. I hope that aspect of Nashville never changes.

I love that!

I remember once eating out in Nashville with my parents, and Eddie Arnold was at the next table. I had no idea who he was, but my parents sure did. When I asked my parents if I could go get Mr. Arnold's autograph, they informed me that in Nashville, we just don't do that, that Mr. Arnold and all other celebrities deserved to be left alone so they could enjoy a nice, quiet dinner just like the rest of us. That is definitely the Nashville way. And I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the reasons, as DonCorleone said, that some celebrities will jet into Nashville. Not only does Nashville have some fantastic restaurants, but celebrities can be out in public here and be left alone.
Eddy Arnold loved my daughter when she was little. We used to see him at Vittles and he would always stop and talk to her for a long time and invite her to his farm. The first time we had no idea who he was. He was talking to our daughter and people would stop to shake his hand. He would shake their hand and then tell them he was busy with this cute little girl. I thought maybe he was a well known Brentwood businessman. After he left, the people from the table next to us leaned over and said, "you guys have no idea who that was, do you?" Lol

Every time we saw him there he would always make a big fuss over our daughter. I was a little sad when I heard he died. He seemed like a really nice man, although I'm pretty sure he already had some onset of dementia before we ever met him.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Well, while we're sharing celebrity stories...this was 30 years ago...but my dad had to have his car towed for some reason and was sitting in the shop waiting on his car to be fixed, sitting next to an old man in a suit. Struck up a conversation with my dad for about 30 minutes. Then he proceeded to pay for his Cadillac to be serviced with a "wadful" of $20 bills. Bill Monroe, ladies and gentlemen. My dad had no idea who he was without his cowboy hat on.

More recent (and relevant to this conversation) is I saw Jack White at the bar at Holland House several years ago during his White Stripes heyday. Not a soul bothered him.

I think the Chamber of Commerce should make sure every new transplant receives a "don't bother the famous folks" brochure upon arriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville