Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:55 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I live near Cedar Hill Park, and walk my dog there a lot. Though it is/was a gay hangout, I've _never_ seen it myself, and besides, gay hookups don't put any of us in personal danger.

The park is nice, with lots of kids playing, a few people fishing at the pond, and older people doing their walks there instead of at a mall. I've never felt in danger there, and every time I've been there I've had pleasant conversations with others like me who are out engaging in non-criminal activities

I'd guess that a lot of people feel like they're in danger because they've heard that Madison is dangerous. Did your friend ever _see_ any criminal activity at Cedar Hill?

Graycroft is a nice area -- big homes on large lots. I'm near Cedar Hill, which is also safe. The only crime we've been victim to in the five years we've been here was having our truck broken into. We shop in Rivergate, and have never had any problems, and don't know anyone else who's had problems. Though we often head elsewhere to shop, its because the traffic at Rgate is horrendous -- apparently a whole lot of people feel like it's safe enough to shop there, too.

Crime is up here just like it's up everywhere else in Davidson county. I rarely hear people talk about the crime in Inglewood, even though Inglewood has some VERY rough sections. In some ways, it's a lot like Madison: Safe, working- and middle-class neighborhoods with some expensive homes scattered about, alongside an area where most of the crime happens. Inglewood, however, isn't seen as monolithically crime-ridden, unlike Madison. I'm guessing it's because the architecture there is more interesting
I lived in the Inglewood area for a year back in the early 80's and used to go to Cedar Hill Park a lot. I never had any problem there. It is a nice park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM

15 posts, read 88,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I lived in the Inglewood area for a year back in the early 80's and used to go to Cedar Hill Park a lot. I never had any problem there. It is a nice park.
I live close to Madison in OH village and I_have_seen men having sex in the park on 3 occasions.
Whatever your sexual preference is, you should never have sex in public, especially a park where children play.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 67,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown defector View Post
2 bedroom. apartment, house, either way. just something nice that won't make us bummed we moved.
There are 2BR apartments available in Brentwood for about $850 per month. Check out The Landings in Brentwood. Brentwood and Franklin are the places to live IMO.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM

112 posts, read 522,190 times
I don't think it's quite as bad as people are making this place out to be.

First, I live in LaVergne and it's fine. It's affordable, and the neighborhood is pretty decent.

Antioch gets a really bad reputation, but it really depends what part of Antioch you're in. If you're in the part north of Bell Road, then uh-oh. South of Bell Road is actually pretty decent for the most part. It forms the buffer between where I live (LaVergne) and northern Antioch.

North Nashville is bad times, everybody will tell you that. Listen to that.

Hell, South Nashville in general...especially near Nolensville Road...isn't great. English isn't the first language there.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 AM

112 posts, read 522,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsdad View Post
There are 2BR apartments available in Brentwood for about $850 per month. Check out The Landings in Brentwood. Brentwood and Franklin are the places to live IMO.
We looked at the Landings before we moved into our first apartment in the Nashville area. Gotta say that it wasn't impressive...

Old 02-11-2008, 03:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
Antioch gets a really bad reputation, but it really depends what part of Antioch you're in.
Couldn't be more true!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
kmw

25 posts, read 155,999 times
There are some bad areas, but crime here isn't any worse than in Inglewood, but somehow Madison's picked up a bad reputation.

We've been happy here -- nice house at a good price, good sized yard, quiet neighborhood, a few minutes to Nashville or to the more distant burbs. We're in an established neighborhood, with most houses from the 1950s-1960s. Most of the crime in our part of town has been domestic violence, not random.

There are parts of town to avoid, but please don't write off the whole area.[/quote]

We've lived in Madison now for about 4 years after moving from CA. We live off of Graycroft. I totally agree with you.....I don't know why there's such a bad reputation for Madison. We've never had a problem at home, in the neighborhood, or anywhere in the whole town.
We love the 1 acre, private yards and mature trees. We are so close to so much. Shopping and restaurants at Rivergate...close to Hendersonville and the lake....minutes away from cool East Nashville and Downtown....one exit away from Opryland/Opry Mills. Besides I65, we have Briley Parkway and Ellington Parkway to quickly get us everywhere. A huge new shopping center is being built across from Skyline Hospital.
I realize, too, that there are some not-so good pockets, but few places are perfect. There is GREAT value in Madison! Don't write it off.
(By the way, a recent article in the Nashville Scene about 2 weeks ago,was about the quality of homes in the area...written by a long time home inspector. He strongly suggested NOT buying anything built after the 60's due to the very poor workmanship and said that the very best value are the ranchers from the 50's-60's. Not very charming...but well built, apparently! Madison has many of these, and many new houses, too.)
PS....I've been to Cedar Hill Park many times and have seen nothing "bad" going on. Lots of families, dog walkers, joggers, etc. Seems very safe to me!
Don't write off Madison!!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 PM

7 posts, read 25,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I would stay away from south Nashville city limits south of 440 until you get to the city of Nolensville. Yes, Nolensville is a nice area which is close to downtown, but just far enough away to keep out the crime. I do know that you should stay away from Antioch and LaVergne which is in Rutherford county. I live in Murfreesboro and enjoy it alot. If you commute to Nashville, expect driving times from M'Boro or Smyrna to be around 30-40 mins. I don't know enough about Mt. Juliet to comment. Sorry I can't give subdivisions; my wife and I rent.
Oh yes, I forget that Murfreesboro is Rutherford's crime free utopian oasis. The crime rate is much higher in Murfreesboro than La Vergne or Smyrna. Some parts of Antioch, however, are pretty suspect. By year 30 of your loan, if you make it that long, you wouldn't have much for your investment.

You might want to check how many people per 1,000 have been gunned down in your town in the last couple of years. I don't think any other Rutherford town would look nearly as bad as yours.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:19 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Default crime indexes for Rutherford County cities (2006 data)

Lavergne - 278.6

Murfreesboro - 460.2

Smyrna - 301.0

national average - 245.1

The crime in Lavergne seems to be centered primarily around the Lake Forest Estates subdivision.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM

13 posts, read 48,659 times
the rents have def. increased in chicago over the past few years. especially in logan square, which is really turning into the IT place to be. we just happened to have found a decent place with a landlord who doesn't really know what he is doing. which is good and bad!

thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville