Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 08:54 PM

10 posts, read 23,702 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am very interested in a career in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound Technician) and just had some questions for those out there who are in this line of work.

I live in Nashville so I am especially interested in the job opportunities and culture of the industry here in Nashville.

Are there any sonographers out there who check this forum???

I have questions such as:

* Should I even consider going into this field?

*Where should one get their training. Vanderbilt has an expensive certificate program available, but only takes 5 students at a time (?!)

* What is the pay really like? I keep seeing websites that state an average of around $60k, but read on other forum's that that is not accurate.

* Is the field saturated like I am reading?

* Are sonographers over worked and under appreciated?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:03 PM

39 posts, read 38,053 times
I am not from Nashville. I live in Houston Tx and I am an Xray tech so i have worked with sonographers. Its a great field. The pay will depend on what type of sonography you choose and where you work. Hospitals will pay better than a clinic usually. Echo or Vascular will pay more than regular or breast sonography. $60,000 seems about right for Echo or vascular but not regular or breast.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 23,702 times
Thanks Lynn!

I'd love more replies from others if they're out there!

Old 12-06-2015, 10:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
If I had it to do over again I would have done some kind of medical tech. I just had an echo done and the technician was a young woman with a very bright future. The 3-D imaging was amazing technology. I did some Googling when I got home because she said she had performed 12,000 procedures in 5 years and I thought she must have been mistaken. Turns out she might not have been. Overworked? I'll let you be the judge of that o.p. Does anything about the work appeal to you? There is a website for American Sonographers and it is pretty informative. I don't think you will (or can) get better information here than there. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If I had it to do over again I would have done some kind of medical tech. I just had an echo done and the technician was a young woman with a very bright future. The 3-D imaging was amazing technology. I did some Googling when I got home because she said she had performed 12,000 procedures in 5 years and I thought she must have been mistaken. Turns out she might not have been. Overworked? I'll let you be the judge of that o.p. Does anything about the work appeal to you? There is a website for American Sonographers and it is pretty informative. I don't think you will (or can) get better information here than there. Good luck.
That's just 10 studies per day if she's working 240 days/year. Each Echo stakes around 30 minutes to do (easy ones ab bit faster, hard ones abut longer), so that shouldn't be too hard to believe and is a nice workflow.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
I had a thyroid ultrasound at Vandy a few months ago and met one of the students in the program. She was really impressive, and it sounds like the program is great. She told me all about the program and some stories of the interesting cases she had seen.
I obviously don't know anything about the cost, but I had a very favorable impression of the program from the woman I met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville