Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 12:53 AM

44 posts, read 74,518 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm possibly relocating to the Nashville area/suburbs from the West Coast and have never had to deal with ticks or chiggers, something I worry about with my relocation (I'm a big wuss when it comes to bugs).

I plan on living in an apartment at first, with my dog. What's the likelihood of my dog or me getting ticks or chiggers while I take him on daily walks around the neighborhood? I would never let him go in tall grass, and we'd stay near cut grass/lawns only. I also don't plan on hiking or camping.

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
I've never had a problem with chiggers here.

Ticks are common but according to our pediatrician as long as you find them in the first 24 hours you don't have to worry.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:46 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
The height of tick season is Spring, then again toward Fall.

For the record, ticks do NOT die in the cold weather, they burrow into the ground. The colder the temps the further they burrow.

This is why people freak out when they see a tick or two in the winter, lol

Our primary ticks are Lone Star ticks and Deer ticks. Lone Star Ticks are known for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but any of them can carry Lymes. Dogs can get Lymes.

I am not a chemical person but believe me, I Frontline my dogs to keep the fleas and ticks off them. The vet gave me a sample of Advantage and I will never pay for that stuff, no matter how well it works. My dogs live in the house and Advantage left an oily residue on them for a couple weeks. Never again.

I literally pull the ticks off my horses, as they can also get Lymes.

If you hike, Lone Star ticks love pine trees and cedar trees. Always check yourself and your dog after a hike or a walk. Spraying yourself with "Deep Woods Off! is a huge help.

Chiggers: We bought bare land and built everything. I haven't heard DH complain about chigger bites for years. They seemed to have disappeared once we started keeping this place mowed and bush hogged. I swear they lined up on the garage apron waiting for him but they have never bothered me.

FWIW mosquitoes carrying West Nile have been found in Davidson County and surrounding counties, so wear long sleeves or spray with OFF when out in the summer evenings.

I am from the north and never saw ticks on anything but the dogs. I about threw up the first year we lived in Middle Tennessee and I found ticks on my horses. Don't get thy nickers in a twist over them just use some common sense, check yourself and your dog after walks. Pretty soon, checking for the little b****rds will be second nature. A second nature you will never like but second nature nonetheless

Old 12-10-2015, 07:07 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryicecream View Post
What's the likelihood of my dog or me getting ticks or chiggers while I take him on daily walks around the neighborhood? I would never let him go in tall grass, and we'd stay near cut grass/lawns only. I also don't plan on hiking or camping.

Thank you for any advice!

All of the above is true...but based on apartment living and walking the dog in a standard suburban type neighborhood...I don't think you're at a large risk for ticks. Certainly not chiggers. I'd keep your pet treated with tick repellant periodically. That is likely to be enough.

We had an inside dog for a number of years and would let her out in the backyard (where there was a creek and some very tall grass) and she never picked up any ticks or fleas. So if you're just walking a dog in neighborhood, I think you'll be just fine.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:45 PM

374 posts, read 693,158 times
Be careful if you plan on visiting neighborhoods with or near wooded lots. I live near Lake Radnor and there are chiggers even in the well-manicured yards. But they are dormant when the daytime temps drop below 60.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses so far, everyone!

I'm very paranoid but it sounds like I have a reason to be. I will freak out and get queasy just seeing a tick on myself or my dog...I don't know how I'd handle having to actually remove it

I will be sure to stay away from ANY wooded areas, period. I'll also keep my dog on flea & tick meds and stock up on "Deep Woods Off"!

Thanks NormaShirley for the additional warning about mosquitos!

I have friends who have a house in East Nashville and they claim to never see ticks. So are they more common in the outer suburbs like Brentwood, Franklin, Murfreesboro etc? Would I be "safer" in the city? Though I prefer living in the suburbs because I hear the city has a high crime rate...

maybe I will lock myself inside

Old 12-10-2015, 05:45 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
Please try not to let this phobia get the best of you.

I live in the toolies, 90 miles south of Nashville, where people say I should have radios in the trees, playing Deliverance music, lol

Meaning, we have more issues than the Suburbs or the city but we still aren't over-burdened.

You probably need to use more caution crossing streets than worrying about ticks. We just want you to know all the facts, not cause you a panic attack

Old 12-11-2015, 05:39 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
I live in East Nashville, and I've never had a tick problem.

We have a great dog park here too.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
They "could" be in any part of the area, but if your friends say they don't have a problem, that's a good sign.

I have gotten chiggers by sitting on wooden benches or brick walls. To me, they are worse than ticks.

So, to add to the list, if you stay on paved sidewalks, never go in tall grass or the woods and don't sit down if you are outdoors, you should be fine.

(FWIW) I spray myself with bug spray whenever I work in the yard, and it keeps ticks off me.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
if you stay on paved sidewalks, never go in tall grass or the woods and don't sit down if you are outdoors, you should be fine.
If you see an Asian girl in a Hazmat suit, come say hi to me

But seriously, I do not want to have to check for ticks daily and as for chiggers,...well I know nothing of chiggers except that they are hell, so I will stay away from brick walls and park benches! And neighborhoods with lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville