Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are traveling via Nashville(no kids) on 1/20/16 for one evening/night. Live music is appealing though so are shops, walking about in an area with restaurants, bars, just a nice area to hang around about, etc. Downtown seems to perhaps be the place to stop for what we are looking for in our situation based on the research we've done so far? If so, what's the street names/best areas to visit?

Not sure where we are going to stay hotel wise. We are driving in our own car and might be staying outside the city and parking just for the night and moving on to the hotel down the road though we are open to staying at a hotel in Nashville. On the topic of parking mid-week, is it free downtown? Metered? Pay lots? Is the area ok to park a car in regards to crime or are there areas we should stay away from? For live music going on in the bars downtown, do they have cover charges?

Appreciate any/all advice.

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited by stevek64; 01-04-2016 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Exactly when at the end of January? The NHL All Star game is the last weekend so it will be fairly crowded.

Very limited street parking downtown. Lots are always pay.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Exactly when at the end of January? The NHL All Star game is the last weekend so it will be fairly crowded.

Very limited street parking downtown. Lots are always pay.
We are looking at 1/20, Wednesday evening. I just looked the all star game is 30th/31th. Thanks for mentioning that, good to know.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:32 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I'd pony up for a hotel downtown so you can avoid having to find parking/driving...especially if you plan on drinking. Downtown Nashville hotels are priced at a premium and expect to pay parking charges on top of it...but for one night I think it would be worth it.

There are so many hotels to choose from. I'd try to find one within walking distance of Broadway, personally. In no particular order: Omni, Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton (all south of Broadway); Renaissance, Courtyard/Marriott. Further north and still within walking distance...but not nearly as close/convenient are Hotel Indigo & the Doubletree. Luxury hotels in the area include Union Station and the Hermitage Hotel which are west and northwest of the entertainment district.

There are also a good number of vacation rentals listed. Try to keep within 2-4 blocks of the 2nd Avenue/Broadway area.

If you decide to stay outside the downtown core, uber/lyft is available here and that might be a better option than driving. Not sure it'll be cheaper than downtown, but there are some great hotels in the West End/Vanderbilt University area that are easy drives (less than 10 minutes) to the Downtown core and have some great places to walk to in their own right.

Parking will range anywhere from $10-25. Expect to pay closer to the high end for an evening...but since it's a weeknight it might not be so bad.

Exercise some common sense in walking around at night...while downtown is safe for the most part, Nashville can be a place you can get into some trouble if your radar is not running. Meaning: don't make yourself a target, nothing good happens after midnight, and beware your surroundings. It's nothing to be frightened of...but do respect your situation and surroundings.

Hope you have a great time!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
With just a few hours, you will just get a quick taste for the city . . . so for me, it would depend on my energy level (assuming you are doing a long drive?)

My suggestions would be:

#1 FRANKLIN

If you want a more relaxing stop, I'd stay in a hotel in Cool Springs (a big shopping area, malls, chain restaurants, hotels off of I-65 south of Nashville - Exits 65 through 69) and head for downtown Franklin, which is very quaint. Very cool little shops, bars, restaurants. On the 20th you could have dinner at Pucketts - they do have live music that night (and are not the only one but just a suggestion).

PUCKETTS
Puckett's Franklin | 120 4th Ave S Franklin, TN 37064

Parking is free in downtown Franklin. There is a parking garage on 4th, just across the street from Pucketts, also free on-street parking.

OR, you could attend a taping of the Music City Roots radio (music) show, which is every Wednesday. It is taped at a little complex (restaurants, the Farmers Market is there on Saturday mornings) called the Factory which is just a mile or so from downtown Franklin.

THE FACTORY
The Factory at Franklin | Shops, Restaurants, and Events in Historic Franklin, TN

MUSIC CITY ROOTS
Music City Roots

(tickets are $10)

#2 DOWNTOWN NASHVILLE

If you think you have the energy for downtown Nashville, I'd stay in Brentwood - the Maryland Farms area (exit 74 Old Hickory Blvd) has some reasonably priced hotels and it's a quick drive into Nashville. You could stay downtown but it tends to be expensive.

Drive downtown (Broadway exit) and park at the Library, if you can get in. It's the cheapest. On 6th between Commerce and Church. You can download a map here. Some of the surface lots with the little machines can be really pricey. If you have patience, you'll find something - there are often signs pointing you to park for the evening for $10.

Park It! Downtown - The Parking Website of the Nashville Downtown Partnership

Then just 'do' Lower Broadway. Music coming out of every bar . . . see who can play the loudest! Legends and Tootsies are the long time venues. Shopping is limited to mostly magnets, t-shirts, and breath mint tins with Elvis on the cover. But if you are there during daylight hours, check out Hatch ShowPrint for cool concert posters. They are in the Omni Hotel/Country Music Hall of Fame complex. They are only open until 6.

Hatch Show Print

To answer your questions, I think downtown Nashville is pretty safe and your car should be fine (but don't leave your iPad mini on your front seat). Places with a cover charge should tell you up front but a lot are just bars and you'll of course, have to buy a drink. Just saw that if you came though on the 21st, there is something at the Ryman called The Country Showdown. Free event. Don't know much about it but the Ryman is a very cool venue!

Country Showdown | ryman.com

Can't go wrong either place. As I said, for me it would be depend on your energy. Franklin would be more of a 'stroll' and relatively peaceful, calm. Nashville is loud and bright and maybe boozy!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Staying in downtown Nashville is great if you can afford it. I just checked the Hyatt Place and for the night of the 20th, with taxes, it came to $278. I stayed at the Hilton in March, for my birthday. It was expensive and because the music from Broadway ran until 4AM (on a Sunday night) I got very little sleep. But it is great if you plan on drinking!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
I feel like downtown would be the way to go, and a no-brainer if you want the night life and music that goes with it. Franklin is great but I wouldn't bother to go visit unless I was here for a few days. I feel like as nice as Franklin is, there's probably something resembling it in most other metro areas that anyone could see. The downtown scene is one largely unique to Nashville. Just depends on what vibe you want.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
I'd stay here: Fairfield Inn & Suites Nashville Downtown/The Gulch

A Marriott property and only $111 on 1/20/16. Then you can do downtown and the Gulch.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:48 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:

A Marriott property and only $111 on 1/20/16. Then you can do downtown and the Gulch.

I'd compare anything downtown to something in the Midtown West End Vandyland area. High end Lowe's to Holiday Inn and other choices. Close enough to be minutes away from downtown, safe & quiet. Still plenty of choice for dining. Close to Centennial Park.

Weather for January 16 appears to be warm & maybe wet or colder & dry. Very little chance of snow, maybe a little ice early AM.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM

We do realize this is a quick trip but since we are passing through, figured why not check it out and certainly would return for a longer stay possibly in the future. We can burn the midnight oil easily so after a long car ride, we are still good to go. We live in the suburbs of Phoenix and make trips to Las Vegas often/hang out late so I suppose loud and bright is all relative and certainly we are up for it all. Sounds like Franklin might be more like many areas around Phoenix. As mentioned, downtown Nashville seems to have its unique vibe so I think that would be our choice on this trip though Franklin might be worth a stop sometime down the line too.

Quote:

The url you posted isn't active/not sure where you got the $111 rate which certainly would be nice. I went to hotels.com, tripadvisor, marriot directly, etc and all I see for 1/20 is $179 a night. Where did you see that rate/could you post a working url if you still see that rate? Thanks.

Thanks again everyone for the great detailed advice. Really appreciate it. Look forward to checking the city out, even for a brief time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: