Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM

15 posts, read 41,358 times

Advertisements

If you have recently relocated to the Franklin, TN area and are originally from Michigan, please give me a shout! We are a family of three and do not know anybody yet! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I have some friends from Michigan. Would you happen to be Michigan State or Michigan fans? I bet you can find a group of fellow fans who meet at one of the local sports bars if you are (I could ask my friends). Or, go to a Predators game. wearing something that identifies you as being from Michigan; I bet you'd meet a few folks from back home.

Just some ideas. There are quite a few folks from Michigan in the Brentwood area.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:48 PM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Just hit a Wings/Preds game at the Sommet. Lots of red in the seats. Spring Hill is supposedly full of folks from Michigan as happened when Saturn opened the plant. Now that it's a GM manufacturing facility with 4200 workers (or will be this year), I'm sure you'll find Michiganders all thru the region. Come on down.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM

100 posts, read 352,123 times
Default What part of MI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mende01 View Post
If you have recently relocated to the Franklin, TN area and are originally from Michigan, please give me a shout! We are a family of three and do not know anybody yet! Thanks
We don't live in Franklin but my husband is from Michigan. What part are you from? He is from Ontonagon on the U.P. (Upper Penisula--for non Michican/Wisconsin folks)

Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
I have met so many from Michigan in the Brentwood Area. I belong to Nashville New Neighbors so if your interested in joining just PM me.

Diane G

Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 AM

19 posts, read 30,844 times
one thing I've noticed about TN is that there are so many people that are originally from Michigan or have family there. I live in Memphis and there are a lot here. I have friends in Nashville who tell me there are a lot there too. I dont understand the TN-MI connection

Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftball_Mom View Post
one thing I've noticed about TN is that there are so many people that are originally from Michigan or have family there. I live in Memphis and there are a lot here. I have friends in Nashville who tell me there are a lot there too. I dont understand the TN-MI connection
Probably for several reasons. A lot of people in Michigan have southern connections (many people from the south went north during the Great Depression in order to find work, but still had family in the south); some have moved because of the auto manufacturing that has developed in the Tennessee; others because they're tired of the cold weather in Michigan but didn't want to move as far away as Florida from their families still in Michigan and the upper south makes a good compromise; others just because of the general opportunities that are happening in the south these days; still others because Tennessee still embraces many of the same things that they value-family, community, country. I'm sure there are other reasons as well; those are just some that come to mind offhand.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:35 PM

Default Thank you for your replies!

Thank you very much for all of your replies! I am really excited about this Nashville New Neighbors Club! We will check out a Predators game too...sounds like fun!

We always loved Tennessee...such a beautiful state! The reason that we moved here is due to the economy in Michigan. It is awful and there aren't any jobs and now the employers know that workers are a dime a dozen...they are not paying what they used to. I do know that we do not miss driving in the snow! We do miss the beach and big Lake though!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftball_Mom View Post
There are over 20,000 people that have moved out of the State of Michigan due to the state's present economy. I have friends that still live in Michigan and their husbands work out of state and come home on the weekends. It is really quite sad

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM

940 posts, read 1,901,556 times
Quote:
There are over 20,000 people that have moved out of the State of Michigan due to the state's present economy. I have friends that still live in Michigan and their husbands work out of state and come home on the weekends. It is really quite sad
Blue state policies including high tax and rigid labor policies most likely can be blamed. Goes to show how a population, when faced with a failure of political outlook, want to blame everybody but themselves. I've a friend in Ohio, another state without right-to-work, and high taxes, who tells me that his state is in a similar but not as severe situation as Michigan. Why would a manufacturer want to expand or relocate there when they can come to the business friendly South?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville