Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 PM

39 posts, read 76,424 times

Advertisements

Crieve Hall has been appreciating rapidly for years. I saw a home around 1500 sq feet listed in the 350s just the other day.

It seems to be leaking into other nearby neighborhood as well...

Prices in McMurray-Huntingdon have gone up as much as 20% in 2 years. Some homes are being listed north of $300k, and they are regularly selling for high 200s. Just two years ago the most expensive listing was in the low 200s! Most of the homes are still outdated, some of them with flat out ugly 70s style facades that need a major overhaul.

The elementary school (Granbery in the McMurray area) is excellent, so that helps as well. Depending on where in Whispering Hills a person lives, they might not be as fortunate with schools.

Is this one of the next 'it' areas? Perhaps one of the last affordable, safe areas in Davidson County that young people may be discovering and flocking to?

Or is this just commonplace for every area of Nashville these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I wouldn't go quite that far. A lot of the houses still look pretty sketchy.

That area was one of our choices 25 years ago when we were looking for a first house, and back then they ranged from $75K -$80K. But even then the desirability varied from yard to yard, and we ended up in Franklin, where we paid $81K for a 1200-sq-ft house.

Crieve Hall never seemed to experience the same kind of decline as McMurray/Huntington, with cars parked in the yard, deteriorating exterior and no landscaping. I think more original owners stayed in Crieve Hall longer, whereas McMurray seemed to have more rental turnover.

If the housing prices keep escalating overall, people WILL move there. They just will have to have more of a pioneer spirit than they may be used to.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 PM

456 posts, read 586,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

That area was one of our choices 25 years ago when we were looking for a first house, and back then they ranged from $75K -$80K. But even then the desirability varied from yard to yard, and we ended up in Franklin, where we paid $81K for a 1200-sq-ft house.

Crieve Hall never seemed to experience the same kind of decline as McMurray/Huntington, with cars parked in the yard, deteriorating exterior and no landscaping. I think more original owners stayed in Crieve Hall longer, whereas McMurray seemed to have more rental turnover.

If the housing prices keep escalating overall, people WILL move there. They just will have to have more of a pioneer spirit than they may be used to.
Where is McMurry/Huntington? What major streets/collectors would that be. Trying to get an idea where this would be.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:08 PM

It's between Edmondson and Amalie, Huntington Pkwy and Brewer, south of McMurray Middle School.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:11 PM

456 posts, read 586,638 times
Quote:
It's between Edmondson and Amalie, Huntington Pkwy and Brewer, south of McMurray Middle School.
Got it thanks. I was over on the other side of I-65 (Lipscomb Univ. side) and it blew me away how expensive homes have become. Well...I guess they were always expensive.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:49 PM

114 posts, read 140,806 times
Whispering Hills has seen/is seeing major appreciation, McMurray/Huntington a respectable amount. The former is zoned for Crieve Hall Elementary in many parts, which has been a significant factor for demand. Both areas have changed quite a bit since I lived in Crieve Hall in the mid 2000s.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:

The houses look 'sketchy'? Can you be more specific? Outdated, yes. I'll agree on that.

This area may have declined in the past, not sure - I wasn't here. But it's doing quite the opposite today.

I think people need a pioneer spirit to move to East Nashville, or more notably, North Nashville.

McMurray is quiet with very little crime, especially violent - compare it to the others! It takes a 'pioneer' to move those places. Not South Nashville.

All it takes to move into McMurray is some elbow grease. The homes are built better than most new homes today (actual brick construction, not veneer) and while outdated (the older population is starting to move out), many young couples are making their homes here. Why? Great elementary schools, safety, larger lots than cookie cutter neighborhoods, and convenience to just about every other area of south of downtown.

Today, the disparity between what you get in McMurray vs Frankiln has grown significantly. I can't get 2,500 sq feet with a 1/3 acre lot anywhere in Williamson County for under $350k, if that. In McMurray, you can find it for $250k ($200k in the last 5 years). It's not the same ballpark by any means, like when you purchased your home.

It may not be an 'it' area, but McMurray is getting noticed.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashdesignguy View Post
The houses look 'sketchy'? Can you be more specific? Outdated, yes. I'll agree on that.

This area may have declined in the past, not sure - I wasn't here. But it's doing quite the opposite today.

I think people need a pioneer spirit to move to East Nashville, or more notably, North Nashville.

McMurray is quiet with very little crime, especially violent - compare it to the others! It takes a 'pioneer' to move those places. Not South Nashville.

All it takes to move into McMurray is some elbow grease. The homes are built better than most new homes today (actual brick construction, not veneer) and while outdated (the older population is starting to move out), many young couples are making their homes here. Why? Great elementary schools, safety, larger lots than cookie cutter neighborhoods, and convenience to just about every other area of south of downtown.

Today, the disparity between what you get in McMurray vs Frankiln has grown significantly. I can't get 2,500 sq feet with a 1/3 acre lot anywhere in Williamson County for under $350k, if that. In McMurray, you can find it for $250k ($200k in the last 5 years). It's not the same ballpark by any means, like when you purchased your home.

It may not be an 'it' area, but McMurray is getting noticed.
I take it you live there?

It's much more than "outdated."

My work takes me through there fairly often. There are whole sections of Huntington Pkwy that have multiple duplexes with basically parking lots in front of them. There being duplexes is not a negative, in and of itself, but they were built in place of original homes, which messes up the character of the area. There are multiple houses throughout the neighborhood where vehicles are parked in the yard, which is a negative in ANY neighborhood.

Some of the yards get overgrown pretty regularly and otherwise show general neglect. The pride in ownership and "elbow grease," as you put it, are not visibly consistent enough to make me feel good about investing there.

Yes, much of the neighborhood looks just like the older neighborhood I live in (except more hilly!). But the fact is that in order to get to that part you have to drive past a lot of places that still look pretty ... sketchy.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:18 PM

There is one stretch of these duplexes at the end of Huntington Pkwy near Edmondson. I agree on that - however, that is hardly representative of the entire area. It's one road, and only one part of the road at that point. I rarely see cars parked in yards - maybe on that one stretch, yes. But we're talking .25 miles of road, max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville