Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,315 times

Advertisements

Me, my wife, and my 12 year old daughter are moving to Nashville, or ideally, within an hour of Nashville proper in the summer.

We have very little money and will be arriving in June. We plan on finding a place for short -term rental, and probably camping for a week or two, BEFORE we get on our feet there work-wise.

It is inevitable that someone will say that moving like this is irresponsible. Considering we will be moving to the Nashville area from the countryside in Ecuador, yes Ecuador, with a decent amount of money saved to tide us over for the summer, I'd like to think that we are less irresponsible than very accustomed to making our way quickly with little regard for how impossible irresponsible etc. anything is, and do not want to return to Ohio because it...sucks.

We are both teachers specializing in ESL and have taught in colleges, and hope to work in this field again in Nashville proper, but in the meantime have no problem working any job whatsoever, with many years in waitressing and pizza delivery between us. We are hustlers.

SO...I'm going on recon down there on spring break, and will be looking for cheap hovels and places that will let you rent quickly. We have lived in a trailer park in Ohio, and have no issues with this in the future. The big question is...where would this fantastical realm of rural trailer life/****ty house life be? Ideally, I would want to rent a shack in the country but still have a decent drive time to downtown. What town/area is best for us? In Ohio, we were lucky enough to live in the poorest most disrespected section of one of the most wealthy suburbs with a good school for the kid. Does this dynamic exist anywhere close to the metro area? If you were willing to start from the ground up and had an extremely limited budget and wanted reasonable access to all the universities for future work, where would you go to look for this kind of life?

Halp! and thank you ahead of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM

174 posts, read 212,141 times
Man, I few months ago while living in Franklin (just outside Nashville) I looked at a rental house that would have been PERFECT for you, from what you describe. It was in nearby Columbia, so you might want to try looking there for very affordable rentals.

There are some pricey areas around Nashville, but also a few reasonably-priced ones with fairly easy access to the metro area, like you describe. Try La Vergne, Smyrna, and East Nashville to name a few.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:45 PM

456 posts, read 583,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
Man, I few months ago while living in Franklin (just outside Nashville) I looked at a rental house that would have been PERFECT for you, from what you describe. It was in nearby Columbia, so you might want to try looking there for very affordable rentals.

There are some pricey areas around Nashville, but also a few reasonably-priced ones with fairly easy access to the metro area, like you describe. Try La Vergne, Smyrna, and East Nashville to name a few.
Maybe throw in Antioch, Bordeaux, Madison, and portions of West Nashville (TSU area).

Maybe Millersville or Goodlettsville too.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,267,193 times
I would look on the north and west sides of town....Cheatham County, Dickson County, Robertson County.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,056,310 times
I was thinking Dickson, too. My RE agent said it's slowly 'up and coming'. She has sold a couple serious 'fixer upper' houses there (like, no flooring!) and neighborhoods are starting to change.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:33 PM

74 posts, read 89,205 times
In order of my recommendation based on your needs: Columbia (some great rental deals), Kingston Springs/Pegram, Dickson and Madison. You may find something around Smyrna or in the Murfreesboro area.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville