Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,305 times

Advertisements

My family and I went to Chattanooga last year and instantly felt at home there. We are now contemplating a move. However, after looking at the job market pay and school system ratings, we think Nashville may be a better fit. We would like a nice rural town not too far from the city. My wife and I are both teachers and fee working in the city gives us the best opportunity to maximize our salaries. That being said, we are not city people at all. We live 20 minutes from NYC and loathe ever having to go there. Our most important requirements are affordable homes in a small town with exceptional schools for our two elementary-aged boys.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
If I've got the basics right here: wanting to work for Metro Schools for a higher salary, rural town/feel, good schools for your kids (not necessarily the ones you're teaching at)...

I might start by looking at the surrounding counties around Davidson/Metro Nashville with good schools like Sumner County, Wilson County and focusing on areas near Davidson/Nashville but still in those other counties to minimize commute times. Williamson County is top-knotch for schools, but you're likely to run into more issues finding affordable housing in areas near Davidson County.

As far as rural feel goes, most areas just nearby the county border are suburban rather than rural, but you can find pockets of rural around. The Beech area of Hendersonville/Sumner County still has a rural feel to it, Cottontown in Sumner County certainly does but that's pushing it for a commute. Maybe areas outside of White House in Sumner would also fit the bill. The area south of Providence in Mt Juliet/Wilson Co is still pretty rural.

I guess my question would be wouldn't it make more sense to work in the school system you're zoned for? Most counties will give you, as an employee, the right to place your child in whatever school you want inside the county. Weighing the salary increase versus convenience of living and working in the county you're zoned for is something to consider.

All of this, of course, depends on your home budget and other economic factors.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM

71 posts, read 74,027 times
I live in Williamson and people love it for schools, but I also know they have some of the lowest teacher wages around...this is strange to me, but I'm not in government or education...All that to say I don't blame you one bit for not wasting any energy on that.

If you loved Chatt, I would figure part of that is the scenery, and while Nashville is hilly, there are parts that are more scenic than others. Definitely do some driving, but I love this aspect too so I make mental notes for one day when we want to move further out... White Bluff/Montgomery Bell state park area is gorgeous, as is north of Nashville (Whites Creek/North of Briley, west of 24). You might be able to find something pretty near Fairview or off of McCrory Rd too, both have fabulous elementary schools (Fairview and Harpeth Valley)and would put you pretty close to town. The other side of town is cool too with the lakes, but I appreciate the extreme hills/tiny mountains more than the lakes. Center Hill has both...but sooooo far.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville