Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM

32 posts, read 125,625 times

Advertisements

All this confusion....residents of Murfreesboro/Nashville....please lend your voices.....which side should one consider off limits in Murfreesboro? I do not want an amusement park in my backyard.....I want a descent high school with an honors program, enrichment activities such as a science/computer lab, no gangs, no major drug problems in the school, and an outstanding backbone for leadership in a school that encourages and supports students interest and parents interest for COLLEGE BOUND individuals. We are strongly considering Murfreesboro, Mt. Juliet/Wilson Co. and Nolensville (Williamson Co. ) schools. What say you would be your first choice. I know this is a personal decision but I want direct, personal experience/innuendo that one has experienced or heard. Yes, I plan to visit but would appreciate any details you could provide. Grateful for this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 37,248 times
Nolensville, Williamson County is known for having the best schools in the state. Ravenwood is the high school for that area, it has a great reputation. Ravenwood and its sister school Brentwood high school are thought to be the best in the county.It's a new school, they graduated their first class I think 2 years ago. Last year multiple students were accepted into Ivy League schools.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 37,248 times
I didn't mention, I have 2 children in Ravenwood high school. One of them is in all honors classes and is also in the Duke tip. We've lived here for 3years, both of my children have had a great experience here. Their peers have been very accepting socially. We have found the school to be safe, there is no gang activity here at all. When you look at homes in Nolensville, make sure the home you choose is in Williamson County. There are parts of Nolensville that are in different counties. You will pay a little more, but it is well worth it considering your child is getting a private school quality education.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM

177 posts, read 613,997 times
Kinda depends on what outweighs what. Murfreesboro has a good school system too. Can't say it's "as" good as Williamson County, being that it's one of the wealthiest counties in the nation can afford it to pay teachers better than Rutherford/Murfreesboro. But they're good no less. Also, having the largest University in the state in it's backyard also helps Murfreesboro out a lot.

For me, diversity is a major issue. I think next to Nashville, Murfreesboro is the next best place, in the Middle Tennessee area, to obtain a good mesh of people. I personally feel that is something Williamson County lacks. Not saying it's homogeneous, but I feel the ratios in Murfreesboro and it's schools are a lot better.

As far as areas to avoid... I guess people would say areas like State St., Hancock St., etc. I personally don't think there are any "unsafe" areas in Murfreesboro. But the very few there may be, you'll know them. Overall, it's a family oriented city. You may want to check out the Blackman and Cason Lane areas. Those seem to be the hotspots now. Especially after they built The Avenue Shopping Center. But if you're looking for a tranquil area, reasonably priced, nice houses, check out the Mitchell-Neilson area (my favorite), the Northfield area, and believe it or not, the victorians downtown are suppose to be reasonably priced for their condition and beauty. These are the new spots for people who are sick of subdivision living. There are also some areas (I'm just discovering) past Riverdale High School down New Salem Pike. Two friends of mine just bought houses over there. They are REALLY NICE and no doubt cheaper than what you'll probably find in Williamson County.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
Can't say it's "as" good as Williamson County, being that it's one of the wealthiest counties in the nation can afford it to pay teachers better than Rutherford/Murfreesboro.
Surprisingly, the pay is about equal, except for Franklin Special School District, unless one has national board certification. Williamson County pays $2,500/yr for this; I'm quite sure Rutherford County doesn't. I think it just boils down to kids w/money usually perform better. Not always, but that's usually the case.

But if you're looking for a tranquil area, reasonably priced, nice houses, check out the Mitchell-Neilson area (my favorite), the Northfield area, and believe it or not, the victorians downtown are suppose to be reasonably priced for their condition and beauty. These are the new spots for people who are sick of subdivision living. There are also some areas (I'm just discovering) past Riverdale High School down New Salem Pike. Two friends of mine just bought houses over there. They are REALLY NICE and no doubt cheaper than what you'll probably find in Williamson County.[/quote]

Good recommendations! Aside from the morning/evening traffic on Warrior Drive, I really like the Riverdale area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville