Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 06:33 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Dude! Dude! No!

I think it's a horrible idea to name anything after a living person. And I wish Ms. Winfrey many happy years ahead. But aside from that, she merely launched her career in Nashville but has no achievement of note in Nashville. Plus, the council-unit proposing this has a really terrible track record of making these silly, inane proposals to prove some personal point. In this case, it's obviously to gain votes from a selective group of Oprah fans. Like renaming streets. Keep it simple. First Avenue... Second... Third... Fourth... Fifth... etc. It helps people from out of town and doesn't "w***e" for votes.

I really don't like naming airports after people. Keep it simple. Atlanta should be Atlanta International. Washington should be Washington-Arlington International Airport.
Agreed. This is a dumb idea that should not even be entertained. First of all, the airport authority has a clear policy to not name anything after living people. That councilwoman who made the proposal should've known that. Secondly, there are other Nashvillians who have made more contributions than Oprah; I mean people who are actually from Nashville or who have made those contributions while living in Nashville. Oprah left Nashville for Chicago and never looked back.

If they're to change the name of the airport, Al Gore would be a much more likely candidate (after he dies, of course). I mean, he's from Tennessee, he lives in Nashville, he was in congress (both the House and Senate) for 16 years and then vice president of the most powerful country in the world for 8 years and won a Nobel Peace Prize. I don't necessarily agree with his ideologies, but I could see an international airport named after him long before Oprah. Oprah has her frozen pizza and mashed potatoes to keep her legacy alive.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM

126 posts, read 146,584 times
Some how the words Gore and airport don't go together well.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:12 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
The airport is already named for someone.. Harry S. Berry.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:31 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,257 times
I'd rather they focus their efforts on claiming the IATA code NSH from Noshahr Iran.

Agreed, naming it after any living person is very problematic. Imagine if Philly had named an airport after "beloved TV father figure", "funnyman", and 2002 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner Bill Cosby? That would have seemed like a solid resume to name an airport after in the early 2000s. Now...not so much. Famous deceased individuals' legacies are complicated enough with the passage of time. For example, what if Nashville's airport had been named after Andrew Jackson back in the 30s when the WPA began work on what is now "Berry Field". That would have been probably widely accepted and lauded. Today, Jackson's legacy is far more complicated.

I'm guessing 98% of Nashvillians don't know who Harry Berry was (I didn't until a few years ago...he was the TN Works Progress Administration Director during the Great Depression). And at least you can say having an airport named after someone that no one really knows means that person's legacy is likely uncomplicated.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,896 times
A better name might be “Under Construction Airport”. Every week there’s a different exit out of the parking garage. Just got back from there and the parking garage closes for good on December 20 and the new one will be open.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM

182 posts, read 448,953 times
Ridiculous suggestion. Unfortunately I am sure it has to do with ethnicity as she does not meet any of the requirements. I don't support immortalizing stars especially those who with her wealth and media reach has done nothing for Nashville. There are many music legends that would be more appropriate especially considering the terminals focus on country music. My goodness Johnny Cash is a Nashville and Tennessee icon if no one else.

Why must everything be tagged? Why can't it be Nashville International Airport that would represent all Tennesseans without worrying about race, gender, etc.?

Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 AM

I think destination-centric names are far more user-friendly for flyers than choosing to name airports after individuals. Not to mention (again) how problematic naming them after individuals can be, even those who seem to be unimpeachable today...as the shifting sands of history and memory can change.

Obviously cities with multiple large airports have to play the naming game differently than a city like Nashville, and in those cases if they want to honor a civic or cultural icon I have no problem with emphasizing diversity. But for cities with just one airport, go with the destination name.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
After recently expanding its nonstop service from Nashville to London Heathrow to a daily flight, British Airways is now upgrading its aircraft out of Nashville to one with additional premium seating including first class suites.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...nashville.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'd rather they focus their efforts on claiming the IATA code NSH from Noshahr Iran.

Agreed, naming it after any living person is very problematic. Imagine if Philly had named an airport after "beloved TV father figure", "funnyman", and 2002 Presidential Medal of Freedom winner Bill Cosby? That would have seemed like a solid resume to name an airport after in the early 2000s. Now...not so much. Famous deceased individuals' legacies are complicated enough with the passage of time. For example, what if Nashville's airport had been named after Andrew Jackson back in the 30s when the WPA began work on what is now "Berry Field". That would have been probably widely accepted and lauded. Today, Jackson's legacy is far more complicated.

I'm guessing 98% of Nashvillians don't know who Harry Berry was (I didn't until a few years ago...he was the TN Works Progress Administration Director during the Great Depression). And at least you can say having an airport named after someone that no one really knows means that person's legacy is likely uncomplicated.
Millennials be like: Halle Berry?! I love her!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:23 AM

Sun Country Airlines adds 3 new routes. Guess the headline here is that it'll be the airport's first nonstop to Portland OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville