Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,912 times

Advertisements

The reality is that you pay for bags, carry ons, seat selection, etc. on every airline. It's just a matter of how you're charged. The legacies build in the fee for snacks and drinks while frontier doesn't. The same for baggage on southwest. My kids didn't need a checked bag and didn't need a carry on, so we didn't pay for it. On Southwest we would have paid for a checked bag through the higher fare, but we wouldn't actually get any benefit from paying for it.

On the whole, we paid $750 for all of us on frontier versus ~$1200 on the legacies and Southwest. It got me to where we wanted to go in a very clean, modern aircraft on time and safely. No reason to save $450 and then complain about the a la carte pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:22 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
It looks like British Airways is going to start flying nonstop between London and Nashville.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...don/538475001/

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-03-2017, 08:27 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Boom. Hopefully this is just the first of a number of international announcements. I'd love to see Tokyo next. And perhaps another European flight.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,982 times
That is yuuuuge news!

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,408 times
SUCH GREAT NEWS!

I am flying to Amsterdam in December, and because I have had nothing but trouble (cancelled flights, delayed flights, delayed luggage) on the little "feeder" jets that United runs to major hubs like Chicago, DC and Newark, I'm flying Southwest up to Chicago Midway and then taking a bus/shuttle over to O'Hare to catch the direct ORD - AMS flight.

This opens up SO many possibilities for further travel onward from London. Awesome!

Even Providence, RI and Hartford, CT have direct flights to Europe. It's about time and really our only hub options have been Atlanta and Chicago. Neither one very convenient.

Hope it happens in the next year or less???

Old 08-08-2017, 09:51 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Nashville-to-London flight to launch in May of 2018

Follow up story on the London/Nashville flight.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
SUCH GREAT NEWS!

I am flying to Amsterdam in December, and because I have had nothing but trouble (cancelled flights, delayed flights, delayed luggage) on the little "feeder" jets that United runs to major hubs like Chicago, DC and Newark, I'm flying Southwest up to Chicago Midway and then taking a bus/shuttle over to O'Hare to catch the direct ORD - AMS flight.
Definitely look into taking the train/subway system. The orange line stops at Midway and the Blue line stops at O'Hare. You can transfer downtown at the Loop between he orange and blue. It will be much quicker and much, much cheaper than a bus/shuttle/taxi during most times of the day.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:13 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
I wonder what size jets BA will be using for the route? I'd guess a 777 variant. I wouldn't be surprised if the maiden voyage wasn't on a high profile plane like a 747 or Airbus 380 just for attention's sake.

edit: when in doubt, self, read the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessean article
The nonstop flights between Nashville International Airport and London's Heathrow Airport will operate five days per week via Boeing 787-7 Dreamliner.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Advertised air fares at the British Airways web site are for less than $1000 r/t. That's a pretty good price.

The Daily Mirror in London has also written about this:
British Airways launches new route to Nashville - the only direct flight to the Music City from Europe - Mirror Online

In its article, it describes this as a big win for British Airways. Hopefully, this means that other airlines will start offering overseas flights to/from BNA.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM

While in town for the groundbreaking of the Virgin Hotel Nashville, Richard Branson hinted that his Virgin Atlantic Airways might start nonstop service between Nashville and London, particularly now that his rival British Airways is here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...london-of.html

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville