Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM

217 posts, read 283,514 times

Advertisements

I'm considering attending Tennessee State University in 2018 to finish my geography degree, and I am hoping to find a job while going there so I can save up money for an apartment and a vehicle. By the time I'm done doing my year-long volunteer stint, I should have between $2,000 and $4,000 by the time I finish and over $5,000 in financial aid award from AmeriCorps. I also plan on applying for scholarships.

Are apartments expensive in Nashville for a single person? What if I brought a friend and we could split the rent for a two-bedroom apartment?

Is it possible to live close to any sort of work where I can take a bus in Nashville, or would I need a vehicle? Would a motorcycle or motorized bike be suffice? What is traffic and local driving like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
I'm considering attending Tennessee State University in 2018 to finish my geography degree, and I am hoping to find a job while going there so I can save up money for an apartment and a vehicle. By the time I'm done doing my year-long volunteer stint, I should have between $2,000 and $4,000 by the time I finish and over $5,000 in financial aid award from AmeriCorps. I also plan on applying for scholarships.

Are apartments expensive in Nashville for a single person? What if I brought a friend and we could split the rent for a two-bedroom apartment?

Is it possible to live close to any sort of work where I can take a bus in Nashville, or would I need a vehicle? Would a motorcycle or motorized bike be suffice? What is traffic and local driving like?
How affordable is Nashville?

How do you define affordable? The answer depends on your perspective, IMO.

I would say that Nashville is certainly past the point of being inexpensive or "cheap"...but "affordable" will likely depend on what you can tolerate in terms of your housing situation (i.e. how big of a space, how nice of a space, how safe of a space [again, safety: see perspectives], whether or not you have a roommate or roommates, which you mentioned was a possibility).

What do you think your budget will be? Will you have a job while you are here?

I did a quick (but not extensive) search for apartments in Nashville that would be at least moderately convenient to TSU, and I would say you are probably looking at the $800-1,000 range per month. And most of those will be older complexes. Newer stuff is stupid expensive. And if you see something for less than, say, $6-700....red flag. Probably not a nice complex and/or area.

So for a year, you are looking at $10-12,000 just for housing, plus extra for utilities and whatnot.

Regarding taking the bus....yes....you can. But you might find the frequency and coverage frustrating depending on where you end up living. One other negative aspect of the bus system here is it is very heavily centralized, meaning that most routes go all the way into downtown -- a hub and spoke pattern -- so transferring to a different route can add a lot of extra time to your trip. However, one very good thing that the MTA has added (fairly) recently is the "University Connector" route, which cuts across several of the main routes on the west side -- and, as the name implies, it does have a stop at TSU.

Here is the MTA system map, in case you are curious:
http://www.nashvillemta.org/news/pub184.pdf

FWIW, I would highly recommend a vehicle. Unless you manage to find an apartment within walking distance of most of the amenities you would need (grocery, restaurants, banks, etc), you might feel very restricted by when and where you can go, because you will be at the mercy of the bus schedule, or be paying a lot more for a taxi or rideshare.

A motorcycle would suffice...but depending on where you are coming from, take weather into account. Nashville gets more rain than people might think...and in the winter, it can get pretty cold (not Northeast or Midwest cold, but you would experience a number of mornings in the high teens/low 20s). Take that into account.

Traffic...is progressively getting worse. How bad....again, perspectives. But Nashville doesn't really have great transit infrastructure to begin with, IMO. It's a spoke-and-hub layout with a modest sized, but funky grid in the middle. Main thoroughfares are somewhat narrow compared to a lot of similar sized cities. But having an interest in geography may work to your advantage (are you good with maps/exploring) because you can learn a lot of shortcuts (some of which are not obvious without looking at a map).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Addendum:

I just saw that you are from Memphis. While the cities are quite different, they actually do share some similarities. Disregard the climate aspect. You should be used to the weather. Definitely more expensive here than Memphis. Quite a bit more. The bus system might not be that dissimilar in terms of coverage...though admittedly I am not as familiar with Memphis's network. Traffic is worse. And compared to Memphis's nice, wide thoroughfares, Nashville's are definitely more narrow and congested.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:18 PM

247 posts, read 336,673 times
Traffic and getting around is much more difficult in Nashville than Memphis, if we're using that for comparison. You'll have to be much more strategic with where you live relative to your work or other places you go on a normal basis. Nashville is much more centralized, with most of the big jobs being in or around downtown, so the closer you can get to it, the better. There are a ton of people going in and out of it at the same time every day.

I personally think some of the apartments are reasonable in the grand scheme of things (Bellevue has several affordable options, and it's convenient to most of the city and a nice area), but the housing market, renting or buying, is competitive as can be. If you're planning on being there long term and want to eventually buy a home, I'd expect to have the means to foot a mortgage note of at least $250-300k, or a monthly rent of $1600-2000 (obviously you'll want a roommate).

It's different in Memphis, more of a big city feel. As long as you put yourself in a position to be as close as possible to where you need to be, you shouldn't be too frustrated.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Egad. I actually thought Nashville would be EASIER to get around than Memphis. Everything seems so spaced apart in Memphis. Then again, I feel like a drive downtown from midtown or from the medical district on a bicycle or motorcycle did seem realistic, if I give myself an hour headstart. Most of Memphis is not bicycle-friendly, but they're working on making it more so by installing bike lanes and expanding the Green Line. Is Nashville taking any initiative for bikers like Memphis is?

The big city feel is part of what makes me interested in Nashville, and the cost of an apartment there is not much of a surprise. I'm just unsure about the apartment costs, although I could manage with a roommate who wants to get out of Memphis.

I plan on working some job while I'm there. I hope to find one while staying on-campus at TSU, if I go to school there. I would prefer to work with the fire department or police department, but considering the size of the city and my lack of EMT training and a degree, I suspect that it would be nearly impossible to become a firefighter or police officer there even after my year-long volunteer assignment with AmeriCorps NCCC.

I'm hoping that by owning and using a moped, bicycle, or motorcycle, I can keep gas, repairs, and maintenance expenses down, but I'm not sure how much that will add up. I'm was hoping to spend at most $700 a month on rent alone, but since the rent is $800 there cheapest, I guess I will have to see how much the job I get in Nashville pays. I may have to go the AirBnB route for awhile after my first semester at TSU. I hope to spend no more than $200 a month on food and spend less than that if possible by cooking a lot of my food from scratch, and I'm hoping utilities isn't too much more than $100 a month. For entertainment, I don't plan on going out a lot unless it's to visit some pub or lounge to listen to music or even perform. As for emergency funds...I don't have any right now, unless I can save some of the $4K I get from NCCC afterwards.

I was planning on attending either TSU or Austin Peay to finish my geography degree in some way as a means of trying to ease myself into living in either Nashville or Chattanooga, and get out of my parents house.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Is Nashville taking any initiative for bikers like Memphis is?
Not like they could. But with traffic so terrible, you have#($* drivers anyway.

Quote:
owning and using a moped, bicycle, or motorcycle,
It was 21 degrees this morning with ice on the roads near TSU when I drove by at 9AM. Are you really going to be riding a bike/moped? Ditto that in the big storms throughout the year. And note that it gets dark by 4:30 PM in the winter.

Quote:
and I'm hoping utilities isn't too much more than $100 a month
IIRC from when I was living in an apt. here, utilities were definitely over $100/month.

A roommate would make things easier. But like nashvols said, how safe of a space [again, safety: see perspectives], will be a big consideration to find something closer to your lower price point.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Egad. I actually thought Nashville would be EASIER to get around than Memphis. Everything seems so spaced apart in Memphis. Then again, I feel like a drive downtown from midtown or from the medical district on a bicycle or motorcycle did seem realistic, if I give myself an hour headstart. Most of Memphis is not bicycle-friendly, but they're working on making it more so by installing bike lanes and expanding the Green Line. Is Nashville taking any initiative for bikers like Memphis is?
I'll admit that I'm not super familiar with Memphis and getting around on a daily basis. I've visited a number of times, but most of my experiences and insights are based off of short-term experience anecdote from friends, not day-to-day living, so take that with a grain of salt.

I think overall, Memphis and Nashville are similar in terms of spacing. While I think Memphis is more...cohesive than Nashville, they are both similar in the respect that they are southeastern sun belt cities built in the same sort of car-centric context (post 1940s). Things like suburban shopping malls/commercial centers, and outer ring suburbs will be similar to an extent.

If you are looking for "dense and walkable/bikeable", then you will probably find both cities to be remarkably similar compared to, say, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, etc....and even compared to a lot of newer more dense western cities.

In re: bikes....Nashville is taking some initiative there...at what is likely a similar pace and scale to Memphis. Bike lanes are becoming more prevalent, but as a mode of say, commuter transportation (rather than leisure/exercise), it is still in somewhat of the infant stage.

Quote:
The big city feel is part of what makes me interested in Nashville, and the cost of an apartment there is not much of a surprise. I'm just unsure about the apartment costs, although I could manage with a roommate who wants to get out of Memphis.
Caveat: Nashville is technically a larger city than Memphis on quite a number of metrics (metro population, GDP, media market, and soon to be city population, as well as others)...but "big city feel" is a bit more subjective than raw data would indicate. I have heard both sides of the argument in re: Nashville vs. Memphis, which feels bigger. A few points of consideration:

-Memphis was considerably larger in the pre-WWII era (which I think is fairly distinct when it comes to comparing types of development). 1940 population:
Memphis - 292,942 - 45.6 sq mi (6,424 pop per sq mi)
Nashville - 167,402 - 22.0 sq mi (7,609 pop per sq mi)

-Taking this data into account, Memphis was very nearly twice as large at a reasonably similar population density. What this translates into now is that Memphis had a much larger "urban" street grid. You can see it today as Memphis has a far bigger collection of charming pre-WWII houses/neighborhoods than Nashville -- which is one reason why inner city "historic" housing in Nashville is ungodly expensive right now. There's simply not as much of it.

-On the other side of the equation -- the "big city feel" is subjective because it depends entirely on what you consider "big city"....tall buildings? Yes, Nashville has Memphis beat. And it is increasing the gap at an incredible pace (if you want to make your mind melt, take a look at the rundown of recent Nashville projects proposed and under construction: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...cams/?page=195). I mean, at one point we were talking 40 (40!) separate projects over 10 stories U/C or proposed in Nashville.

-While Nashville has the "tall" buildings in its favor, I think Memphis has the core neighborhoods definitely in its favor. Wide urban boulevards, and miles of grid to go with it. Perhaps the best distinction to make is that Nashville has a bigger city core feel to it, and Memphis has a bigger city neighborhood feel to it.

-Outside of that, a lot of what contributes to the gap between Memphis and Nashville is the growth of the outer suburbs. While a lot of cities grow from the core outward, Nashville is a little....different because of the metropolitan government (if you are not familiar, Nashville "city" more or less coincides with Davidson County -- unlike Shelby County, there are no "unincorporated areas"...and there really aren't any strong independent suburbs like Germantown, Bartlett, and Collierville -- more small wealthy "semi"-independent satellite towns like Belle Meade, Forest Hills, and Oak Hill).

-A lot of Nashville's growth in the past 20-30 years has occurred 15-30 miles from downtown. And not necessarily in a neat, orderly fashion. Because of the metropolitan government, there is a bit of a different relationship between Davidson County and non-Davidson County. For all intents and purposes, while Belle Meade is technically not Nashville, it is more "Nashville" than say Germantown is "Memphis". At least from a governance perspective. I hope that makes sense.

-What is interesting about Nashville's development is how the surrounding counties and exurbs have grown. Rather than development strictly following a density/distance model where the central city becomes more dense and expands outward, some established suburbs and exurbs have created their own nodes of development and have exploded with growth 10-20-even 30 miles from Nashville (ex. Murfreesboro, Franklin/Brentwood, La Vergne/Smyrna, Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, and now Gallatin). Rather than develop as an extension of Nashville, these places have expanded from their own, already developed cores (especially Murfreesboro and Franklin).

Quote:
I plan on working some job while I'm there. I hope to find one while staying on-campus at TSU, if I go to school there. I would prefer to work with the fire department or police department, but considering the size of the city and my lack of EMT training and a degree, I suspect that it would be nearly impossible to become a firefighter or police officer there even after my year-long volunteer assignment with AmeriCorps NCCC.
I cannot speak with any real experience here -- so take my advice with a grain of salt. But as rapidly growing as Nashville is, there are jobs out there for those that are ambitious. I can also tell you that in light of the recent, let's say, social unrest, there is a desire for a better relationship between the police and college students, especially in regards to TSU. I know that there is some relationship built already between (I think) the criminal justice school at TSU and the Metro Police. I am not sure about any connections with Fire/EMT. But that is definitely something you should inquire about. I don't know what exact role would fit, but it's definitely something I think you should explore.

Also, this is not necessarily a question that I want you to answer for me, but rather yourself....how does the Geography degree fit with police/fire/emt training? Does that broaden your experience in your opinion? Or could another type of job better help you advance that degree? Don't forget that Nashville is the seat of state government, and there may be a more practical application for your degree in terms of jobs...

Quote:
I'm hoping that by owning and using a moped, bicycle, or motorcycle, I can keep gas, repairs, and maintenance expenses down, but I'm not sure how much that will add up. I'm was hoping to spend at most $700 a month on rent alone, but since the rent is $800 there cheapest, I guess I will have to see how much the job I get in Nashville pays. I may have to go the AirBnB route for awhile after my first semester at TSU. I hope to spend no more than $200 a month on food and spend less than that if possible by cooking a lot of my food from scratch, and I'm hoping utilities isn't too much more than $100 a month. For entertainment, I don't plan on going out a lot unless it's to visit some pub or lounge to listen to music or even perform. As for emergency funds...I don't have any right now, unless I can save some of the $4K I get from NCCC afterwards.
Honestly, if you are shooting for $700 rent, I would aim to have a roommate. I think you would be more comfortable that way (but be careful with the type of person you choose as a roommate! From experience, a close friend can sometimes be a poor roommate choice). Right now, I pay $770 for a ~20 year old apartment that is ~20 miles from town (2 BR...all to myself). The closer you get to town, and the better area of town....that pretty much doubles.

For perspective...I pay somewhere between ~$100-150 for electricity/water and another $130 for cable/tv/internet (I love sports, so that's probably negotiable). Then if applicable, include phone, car/health insurance, and, of course, food expenses.

I think, with a capable roommate and a reasonably sound pocketbook, you could probably survive off of $1k per month. If you're disciplined. I'd probably try to budget for at least $1,200...with a roommate. $1,500-1,700 without. I hope you like Ramen.

Quote:
I was planning on attending either TSU or Austin Peay to finish my geography degree in some way as a means of trying to ease myself into living in either Nashville or Chattanooga, and get out of my parents house.
Austin Peay would definitely be a different dynamic.

Question: which is more important: your degree or getting out of your parent's house? Because if it is your degree, I don't think you should take any shame from living at home (unless your parents hate you, or something). Take some friendly advice: I completely understand wanting to get out of your parent's house, but also consider the practicality of doing so. It is not the end of the world if you complete college and have to move back in with your parents. It may not be optimal, but it may be necessary, in the short term. A lot of this will depend on the job market as you graduate.

Also, out of curiosity, why Nashville and Chattanooga? Your answer could potentially lead to better advice/direction.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:12 PM

I know you want me to ask myself this, but I will give an opinion about it anyways:

Quote:
how does the Geography degree fit with police/fire/emt training? Does that broaden your experience in your opinion? Or could another type of job better help you advance that degree?
Honestly, I don't see how my degree fits with police work, firefighting, or EMT work, unless I work as a dispatcher, but I want to be with the boots on the ground. A career in any of those fields appeal to me a lot more than some GIS work, but I'm already reaching 50K in debt for this degree so I might as well make the most use of it.

If you want my opinion, I think that being a Park Ranger of some variant is the best use of my degree: I get to use the knowledge I gain from my Geography courses, I get to do some office work but also some field work, I get to be outdoors, which I enjoy, I get to work with my hands as well as my mind, and I can still get involved with law enforcement, EMT, or firefighting, even if it's just volunteer firefighting. Plus, I can gain more hard skills and learn more about nature through that work without going to trade school.

In short: I feel that a career in park services as a Park Ranger or anything else will let me use my body and mind equally, help people, make good money, and find a use for my degree. I'm just not very confident in my ability to get a park job at the moment, and even if I do, I don't know how I'm going to afford living and owning a vehicle while working such a job, so I've considered settling for some job in the city until I save up enough money and finish my degree: Except, now that I've done research, it's nearly impossible to get a skilled job as an entry-level employee unless I'm willing to make a lengthy commitment to it like I did with my degree, which I haven't finished yet, and I honestly can't see myself surviving on minimum wage at a McDonald's in any city where I DON'T need a vehicle, so now I feel like I might as well shoot for the stars and keep going for a career in park services.

Quote:
which is more important: your degree or getting out of your parent's house?
Honestly, I know that degree can be my ticket out of my parents' house for good, but I feel shut-off from the rest of the world when living with my parents, and it doesn't help that they're currently going through a divorce. I've spent much of my childhood and all of my teenhood sheltered out in the country while being homeschooled, and although I feel like such a thing has helped me grow to be more of an individual, I feel like the lack of life experience as a result of the sheltering has done me a huge disservice. It's not that I hate my parents, I still love them, but with that in mind, and being out in nowhere, and especially with my mom divorcing my dad, I'm kind of sick of being in the middle of their **** and pretending that everything is alright with me, and I want to go out and live and see the world more. That's a large part of the reason I'm doing NCCC, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I gain more life experience through things like NCCC than just working a job or going to college on campus. I learned more about myself working with a conservation corps over the summer for a few months than I did in an academic year or two's time in college.

So, to a very, very small extent, that degree is more important to me than living with my parents. Sure I can finish my degree online within a year while living at home, but I can't imagine spending another full year doing nothing but schoolwork, chores, and babysitting without any other person, especially my age, to interact with. I love my family, but I really don't want to be stuck in the middle. I feel that if I move out and move on, I can find some way to finish my degree, and also finally begin living my own life, even if it is risky, financially challenging, and monotonous. At least I can somehow save up money and go out, or practice drawing or playing music in my own space, or go to the gym, or something, without depending on my parents to take me everywhere.

As for why Nashville or Chattanooga, they were just two options I was considering. If I do go ahead with going back to college full-time, on campus, I was considering going to Austin Peay of TSU since their tuition is slightly cheaper than University of Memphis, and I figured that since Chattanooga is smaller, I would have an easier time riding or driving around it, and if Nashville is "bigger" and "nicer" than Memphis (but not wider), then I could rely on bus transit more. Also, I considered that possibly going to Nashville or Chattanooga would be a good way to get a change in scenery while also moving further away from family, getting to pay in-state tuition costs, and not having to go through the hassle of registering as a citizen of another state and going to get my driver's license changed and what-not.

Last edited by TinBo; 12-10-2016 at 10:24 PM..

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
I know you want me to ask myself this, but I will give an opinion about it anyways:
Honestly, I don't see how my degree fits with police work, firefighting, or EMT work, unless I work as a dispatcher, but I want to be with the boots on the ground. A career in any of those fields appeal to me a lot more than some GIS work, but I'm already reaching 50K in debt for this degree so I might as well make the most use of it.
I'm not necessarily wanting you to question why you are getting your degree or what relatable field you plan to pursue while you are in college, but rather how you can advance your skills now. I can say I have struggled with this myself. Reading further into your response, I suppose my "question" would change into how could you correlate what you anticipate doing (while in college) into what you want to do (after college). See: below.

Quote:
If you want my opinion, I think that being a Park Ranger of some variant is the best use of my degree: I get to use the knowledge I gain from my Geography courses, I get to do some office work but also some field work, I get to be outdoors, which I enjoy, I get to work with my hands as well as my mind, and I can still get involved with law enforcement, EMT, or firefighting, even if it's just volunteer firefighting. Plus, I can gain more hard skills and learn more about nature through that work without going to trade school.
You are thinking about being a Park Ranger. Why are you looking at police, fire, EMT? If I were in your shoes, and looking at attending university in Nashville, I would look strongly at.....Tennessee State Parks. The closest choice would be the Bicentennial Mall (just north of downtown Nashville), which is more or less an urban "history" state park. Monuments and such.

If you are more inclined to the natural side of things, I would very strongly suggest checking into Radnor Lake State Natural Area...more or less a man made lake several miles south of downtown Nashville....which has become a wildlife oasis. It's the most visited state park in TN (last I checked). An interesting natural contrast to the ongoing Nashville urban/suburban development.

Quote:
In short: I feel that a career in park services as a Park Ranger or anything else will let me use my body and mind equally, help people, make good money, and find a use for my degree. I'm just not very confident in my ability to get a park job at the moment, and even if I do, I don't know how I'm going to afford living and owning a vehicle while working such a job, so I've considered settling for some job in the city until I save up enough money and finish my degree: Except, now that I've done research, it's nearly impossible to get a skilled job as an entry-level employee unless I'm willing to make a lengthy commitment to it like I did with my degree, which I haven't finished yet, and I honestly can't see myself surviving on minimum wage at a McDonald's in any city where I DON'T need a vehicle, so now I feel like I might as well shoot for the stars and keep going for a career in park services.
Understood. If park services is your goal, that's where I would keep my eyes set. To be fair, I don't have any personal experience there, so if someone has any positives/negatives related to that line of work, I would certainly listen to them. But as to what you have posted here, I would encourage you to clarify your goals -- as much for yourself as to anyone else -- and to pursue them. If you want to be a park ranger -- reach out to a park ranger. Figure out how they got to be where they are. And, who knows, they might be willing to mentor/guide you to where you want to be.

Quote:
Honestly, I know that degree can be my ticket out of my parents' house for good, but I feel shut-off from the rest of the world when living with my parents, and it doesn't help that they're currently going through a divorce. I've spent much of my childhood and all of my teenhood sheltered out in the country while being homeschooled, and although I feel like such a thing has helped me grow to be more of an individual, I feel like the lack of life experience as a result of the sheltering has done me a huge disservice. It's not that I hate my parents, I still love them, but with that in mind, and being out in nowhere, and especially with my mom divorcing my dad, I'm kind of sick of being in the middle of their **** and pretending that everything is alright with me, and I want to go out and live and see the world more. That's a large part of the reason I'm doing NCCC, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I gain more life experience through things like NCCC than just working a job or going to college on campus. I learned more about myself working with a conservation corps over the summer for a few months than I did in an academic year or two's time in college.

You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders. You need to experience the world on your own. Go and do that. Learn. Ask questions. Make mistakes. Never hesitate to ask for help or advice. While I can't relate to your exact experience, I understand where you are.

Quote:
So, to a very, very small extent, that degree is more important to me than living with my parents. Sure I can finish my degree online within a year while living at home, but I can't imagine spending another full year doing nothing but schoolwork, chores, and babysitting without any other person, especially my age, to interact with. I love my family, but I really don't want to be stuck in the middle. I feel that if I move out and move on, I can find some way to finish my degree, and also finally begin living my own life, even if it is risky, financially challenging, and monotonous. At least I can somehow save up money and go out, or practice drawing or playing music in my own space, or go to the gym, or something, without depending on my parents to take me everywhere.
I feel you. You seem very independent....and I can definitely relate to that.

Quote:
As for why Nashville or Chattanooga, they were just two options I was considering. If I do go ahead with going back to college full-time, on campus, I was considering going to Austin Peay of TSU since their tuition is slightly cheaper than University of Memphis, and I figured that since Chattanooga is smaller, I would have an easier time riding or driving around it, and if Nashville is "bigger" and "nicer" than Memphis (but not wider), then I could rely on bus transit more. Also, I considered that possibly going to Nashville or Chattanooga would be a good way to get a change in scenery while also moving further away from family, getting to pay in-state tuition costs, and not having to go through the hassle of registering as a citizen of another state and going to get my driver's license changed and what-not.
Understood. If parks is a big interest for you, I would definitely inquire about Chattanooga, too. While "smaller", it is big enough to offer most of the urban mid-sized amenities....but it is probably one of the more scenic cities in the southeast. If you consider yourself an "outdoorsy" type, I think it might be the best fit of any in Tennessee.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
If parks is a big interest for you, I would definitely inquire about Chattanooga, too. While "smaller", it is big enough to offer most of the urban mid-sized amenities....but it is probably one of the more scenic cities in the southeast. If you consider yourself an "outdoorsy" type, I think it might be the best fit of any in Tennessee.
This is excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville