U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:19 PM

134 posts, read 656,249 times

Advertisements

I agree with one poster...you really need to visit where you might stake your tent. HiThere77 makes practical points like traffic, etc. You do not get that info looking at properties online. This is why renting year one wise. You might realize a better school after a month or so and can cut down on drive/daily commute time significantly by eventually moving to an area close to school.
If your child will spend the next 5-6 years at one school, this is a big deal living nearby. Better to spend less time with kids in car than a parent driving to work.

That said, as I noted, TN is not unlike parts of So Cal or elsewhere. In one county or city you can be affluent and in the next wonder if you're in the same state. All that said, in my experience from CA to TN, Franklin will remind you of being at Disneyland's Main Street...you will wonder how such a place can be so pristine and set apart. Brentwood (Cool Springs) is very modern and has everything you need and then some. Dare I say...this is "white America" which is why it reminded me of Valencia, CA.

As for the "religion" thing...yes, it is the Bible belt and you will see more Church of Christ churches than Dollar Stores (but they are catching up)! The Internet changed the world and people are more into sports imo. Bottom line, nobody will ask you where you worship and if they do respond the way any would. Will you see Confederate flags? Yes...here and there, but the locations you seek are VERY friendly. Many people who live in Brentwood rarely venture out to the more rural areas if they don't have to visit family. I will tell you this, you think Beverly Hills is a place of affluence? Wait til you see some of the houses in Brentwood and surrounding areas! Drive along Hwy 96 to Franklin and you will see AMAZING houses on 5-10 acres...the acreage for housing is stunning for someone from CA. TN is GORGEOUS! Stunning actually. It is GREEN everywhere!

Go to Realtor dot com and see what you can get for $300k in nearby cities! For $700k you can buy a mansion on 20 acres if you want. If your price point is what you say it is, you have ultimate control of where you want to live.

I believe in renting the first year to get a real feel of life...again, you can find a great home to rent for 1/3 of CA prices. Once you settle, then networking takes over. You will meet someone who knows the area and probably with very little prodding give you a tour.

Lastly, I believe in this: like attracts like. If you are a positive person living a healthy lifestyle, you will attract this and synergy will take place. People in TN are MUCH friendlier than CA overall. Not worth analyzing this, it just is. Hobbies are a great way to meet people and bridge the "new" gap--cycling, hiking, fishing, water sports, quilting, antiques...whatever. My cousin's daughter went to school in Nashville from Brooklyn! She loves it there and plays guitar/sings on weekends in Nashville and is a school teacher. Growing up in NYC to TN--well, she's sold! Her parents are now thinking of moving there. They cannot fathom the size of lots for homes living in NYC despite upper NY State being very rural and spacious.

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 01-20-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 03:47 PM

51 posts, read 74,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
I agree with one poster...you really need to visit where you might stake your tent. HiThere77 makes practical points like traffic, etc. You do not get that info looking at properties online. This is why renting year one wise. You might realize a better school after a month or so and can cut down on drive/daily commute time significantly by eventually moving to an area close to school.
If your child will spend the next 5-6 years at one school, this is a big deal living nearby. Better to spend less time with kids in car than a parent driving to work.

That said, as I noted, TN is not unlike parts of So Cal or elsewhere. In one county or city you can be affluent and in the next wonder if you're in the same state. All that said, in my experience from CA to TN, Franklin will remind you of being at Disneyland's Main Street...you will wonder how such a place can be so pristine and set apart. Brentwood (Cool Springs) is very modern and has everything you need and then some. Dare I say...this is "white America" which is why it reminded me of Valencia, CA.

As for the "religion" thing...yes, it is the Bible belt and you will see more Church of Christ churches than Dollar Stores (but they are catching up)! The Internet changed the world and people are more into sports imo. Bottom line, nobody will ask you where you worship and if they do respond the way any would. Will you see Confederate flags? Yes...here and there, but the locations you seek are VERY friendly. Many people who live in Brentwood rarely venture out to the more rural areas if they don't have to visit family. I will tell you this, you think Beverly Hills is a place of affluence? Wait til you see some of the houses in Brentwood and surrounding areas! Drive along Hwy 96 to Franklin and you will see AMAZING houses on 5-10 acres...the acreage for housing is stunning for someone from CA. TN is GORGEOUS! Stunning actually. It is GREEN everywhere!

Go to Realtor dot com and see what you can get for $300k in nearby cities! For $700k you can buy a mansion on 20 acres if you want. If your price point is what you say it is, you have ultimate control of where you want to live.

I believe in renting the first year to get a real feel of life...again, you can find a great home to rent for 1/3 of CA prices. Once you settle, then networking takes over. You will meet someone who knows the area and probably with very little prodding give you a tour.

Lastly, I believe in this: like attracts like. If you are a positive person living a healthy lifestyle, you will attract this and synergy will take place. People in TN are MUCH friendlier than CA overall. Not worth analyzing this, it just is. Hobbies are a great way to meet people and bridge the "new" gap--cycling, hiking, fishing, water sports, quilting, antiques...whatever. My cousin's daughter went to school in Nashville from Brooklyn! She loves it there and plays guitar/sings on weekends in Nashville and is a school teacher. Growing up in NYC to TN--well, she's sold! Her parents are now thinking of moving there. They cannot fathom the size of lots for homes living in NYC despite upper NY State being very rural and spacious.

Thank you, those are all great points to think about. We are going in Feb to look around and get a better feel for it. I guess the reason I chose neighborhoods where houses are more expensive with less land, because it seemed hose neighborhoods have the better schools / stores etc. But of course I don't really know and will have to see for myself.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,460,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Good warning on the ticks and chiggers. And the weather! You can have 4 seasons in one week here

To be fair though, Auburntown is about 50 miles away from Brentwood and a world apart. I actually do have a friend who grew up there, and it is about as big as one of Brentwood's city parks. Truly a wide spot in the road. I wanted to be sure the OP didn't come away thinking this kind of thing:

... is what life is like in Brentwood or most of Middle TN cities.
True. I work all over Middle TN and have never even heard of Aurburntown.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:22 PM

4,740 posts, read 9,920,490 times
I'm waiting to hear more from the OP about "religion and hick talk".

Old 01-20-2017, 06:36 PM

134 posts, read 656,249 times

Yeah...I would quit waiting unless you just want to start a
thread that flames away. This is the great limitation of 'electronic
conversation' What you do have is people who get tangential and
respond w/o first reading w/a 'seek first to understand' the intention
of the thread like where Auburntown is. Who cares? Has nothing to
do with the context of that reply which was, "If you venture out from
Brentwood life changes quick in smaller towns (and you WILL see
Confederate flags, guys driving around with loaded guns in their trucks,
people who judge you if you are not Baptist and a hick mindset)"
Ever been to Cannon County?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:11 PM

49,924 posts, read 55,633,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
Ever been to Cannon County?
Yes, but the OP didn't ask about Cannon County.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 PM

51 posts, read 74,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Yea, that was wrong of my to say and I can definitely apologize. I was responding to the person talking about people meeting their spouses at family reunions , and there were a lot of deleted posts about religion. But, shouldn't have called it hick and I'm sorry I did.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:20 PM

171 posts, read 218,867 times
There are many baby & toddler activities in Brentwood & Franklin.

Check out these resources for more info:
Williamson County Parks & Rec: Williamson County Parks and Recreation
There are 2 YMCAs in Brentwood (Maryland Farms and Brentwood YMCA on Concord Rd.) as well as 1 in Franklin: YMCA of Middle Tennessee - For a Better Us
Brentwood Library has a great children's section and programs: City of Brentwood : THE BRENTWOOD LIBRARY
Nashville Parent magazine- monthly listing of all activities in Nashville and surrounding areas: Nashville Parent Magazine

There is a Gymboree Play & Music off Hillsboro Pike in Green Hills, just north of Brentwood. PM me, if I can be of more assistance.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 6,929 times
You are going to be in for a bit of a shock moving from San Diego to Brentwood. People will tell you that "Nashville" is very progressive and Brentwood being a suburb of Nashville you would think that you would find plenty of open minded people. Williamson county is very conservative deep red place to live. I grew up in Nashville and moved back here two years ago from the San Francisco Bay area and I'm considering moving again because it just isn't for me and my family. That is saying a lot because my parents live here and we would be moving away from them again.
People will be friendly to you because as another poster said, people are used to outsiders here but YOU may have a hard time adapting to them.
There is a lot of old money in the Nashville area and yes, some of those people can be snobby and not inclusive.
We were looking at East Nashville and the Sylvan Park neighborhood when we moved, but ultimately chose Williamson county for the schools. I wish we had just bought closer to downtown because I think we would have been happier there. Its about a 30 minute drive to get to downtown Nashville but the traffic is freaking terrible and during popular commute times it could take you longer than an hour to get into town and it hardly makes it worth it with kids. In your price range you could buy into Sylvan Park, Green Hills, Melrose. There are some really great schools and some that are lagging a bit but you can buy a whole lot of house here with say, $600,000 and save some of that money for private education if necessary. Best of luck!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 PM

2,887 posts, read 6,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnreneau View Post
You are going to be in for a bit of a shock moving from San Diego to Brentwood. People will tell you that "Nashville" is very progressive and Brentwood being a suburb of Nashville you would think that you would find plenty of open minded people. Williamson county is very conservative deep red place to live. I grew up in Nashville and moved back here two years ago from the San Francisco Bay area and I'm considering moving again because it just isn't for me and my family. That is saying a lot because my parents live here and we would be moving away from them again.
People will be friendly to you because as another poster said, people are used to outsiders here but YOU may have a hard time adapting to them.
There is a lot of old money in the Nashville area and yes, some of those people can be snobby and not inclusive.
We were looking at East Nashville and the Sylvan Park neighborhood when we moved, but ultimately chose Williamson county for the schools. I wish we had just bought closer to downtown because I think we would have been happier there. Its about a 30 minute drive to get to downtown Nashville but the traffic is freaking terrible and during popular commute times it could take you longer than an hour to get into town and it hardly makes it worth it with kids. In your price range you could buy into Sylvan Park, Green Hills, Melrose. There are some really great schools and some that are lagging a bit but you can buy a whole lot of house here with say, $600,000 and save some of that money for private education if necessary. Best of luck!

This is excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville