Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:05 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will be up in the Murfreesboro area this weekend and thought I would drive through some towns in Middle Tennessee to see if any caught my fancy for full retirement.

I am a single retired lady, went to college at MTSU years ago, and always liked middle tennessee. I am ready to downsize to a low maintenance home and looking for a good place to settle in.

I am very familiar with TN but anticipate that it has changed in the 40 years I have been gone.

If anyone has heard of nice towns from the perspective of a retiree, I would appreciate hearing from you. In the meantime I will continue to search the forum for retirement advice.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:48 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Franklin has a lot of retirees. Most seem to move here for quality of life and close to grandkids.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
What is your budget?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:02 AM

25 posts, read 29,272 times
I guess it depends on what you really want. Franklin is a great place to retire where you can enjoy the convenience of everything you need nearby. Whereas Murfreesboro has grown just as much as Franklin, both have alot of congestion probably more so for the Boro.

If you want to be in a smaller town, then Spring Hill might be the place although the need for extra roads to control the traffic has been a huge issue for the last 10 years. If you want seclusion, for some reason I am drawn to Bell Buckle and it's charm. It's very small but not to far from everything you need in Murfreesboro...it will take just a little longer to get there.

Your definition of retirement may be different from others so what exactly are you looking forward to in your life?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
The state has established a system where communities can be "certified" as retirement-friendly.

Our Communities | Retire Tennessee

Then there's the American Association of Retirement Communities which also "certifies" communities as being retirement-friendly.

When those two lists are cross-referenced, the Middle Tennessee communities that appear in both lists are:
Columbia
Cookeville
Winchester

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 PM

Thanks all. My budget would be 150-250K$ for a downsized low maintenance home. Condo and town house ok. Wary of SFR unless it is easy to take care of. I am downsizing so I don't want to creep up into something more than I need. Less is more for me nowadays.

I am 66 yrs old, full retiree, do not work but like to stay busy and do things. I am physically able and am outside most of the day. But with time I guess that will change to less active. My days of climbing trees are over. Would like clubs and activities where I could join interest groups. It would be nice to make friends that last the duration. I do not play golf or tennis and do not want to be on a course. My dog is a large Weimaraner and I must consider a suitable environment for him.

I would like convenience and medical. I use the VA hospital here in FL but can go pure civilian if that is better. I currently take classes at the local college and would like to do the same elsewhere. But that is mostly to keep me busy and my mind active, not to achieve anything academic. I like to travel.

Thanks for the info, I will research them more. The congestion and traffic flow will be something I check this weekend.

My daughter just married a Pittsburgh PA fellow and will be staying there. My son is finishing Pharmacy school in Knoxville and it is unknown where they will end up, must follow the job but things may work out they can stay. I like Farragut where they live now but get respiratory problems when I stay too long in the Tennessee Valley. I would like to be 2-3 hours away from one or the other but need to consider to find a place that suits me.

Thanks again, hope this info helps. Judy

Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
but get respiratory problems when I stay too long in the Tennessee Valley

Then you will likely have worse problems in Middle TN.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Then you will likely have worse problems in Middle TN.
Not necessarily. Knoxville is ranked as having worse allergies than Nashville. Nashville's allergy score is about the same as Pittsburgh. Of the nation's 100 largest metro areas, Knoxville is ranked 10th, Nashville 27th for allergies.

http://www.aafa.org/media/Fall-Aller...t-Dec-2016.pdf

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Thanks all. My budget would be 150-250K$ for a downsized low maintenance home. Condo and town house ok. Wary of SFR unless it is easy to take care of. I am downsizing so I don't want to creep up into something more than I need. Less is more for me nowadays.

I am 66 yrs old, full retiree, do not work but like to stay busy and do things. I am physically able and am outside most of the day. But with time I guess that will change to less active. My days of climbing trees are over. Would like clubs and activities where I could join interest groups. It would be nice to make friends that last the duration. I do not play golf or tennis and do not want to be on a course. My dog is a large Weimaraner and I must consider a suitable environment for him.

I would like convenience and medical. I use the VA hospital here in FL but can go pure civilian if that is better. I currently take classes at the local college and would like to do the same elsewhere. But that is mostly to keep me busy and my mind active, not to achieve anything academic. I like to travel.

Thanks for the info, I will research them more. The congestion and traffic flow will be something I check this weekend.

My daughter just married a Pittsburgh PA fellow and will be staying there. My son is finishing Pharmacy school in Knoxville and it is unknown where they will end up, must follow the job but things may work out they can stay. I like Farragut where they live now but get respiratory problems when I stay too long in the Tennessee Valley. I would like to be 2-3 hours away from one or the other but need to consider to find a place that suits me.

Thanks again, hope this info helps. Judy
I'm going to suggest you look into Cookeville. Lots of retirees move to Cookeville for the same things you're looking for: low cost of living, good medical care (Cookeville has a VA clinic in addition to an excellent community hospital), very little traffic, a university for classes, concerts, lecture series, galleries, theater, etc., beautiful countryside with waterfalls, lakes, several state parks, and many clubs and interest groups for retirees.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Thank you all. I will try to visit as many as I can this weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville