Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 09:52 AM

10,065 posts, read 14,439,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This was a big one. TBH, I live 1.5 miles from an ikea and bought shower curtains and a cheap pot and pans set. The pot and pan set fell apart within a month. I am not as big of a fan as I thought I would be. I see it as a paradise for recreational shoppers and college students with good food options. I personally wouldnt purchase anything else from that store.
I agree. Not a fan. I love going into the store and looking when it is not jam-packed. Their furniture is high on design and low on quality. It's pretty much gonna break and/or fall apart after 2 or 3 years. I bought a bed there which was an amazingly cool design and it literally broke apart exactly 3 years later.

But the company does very well, and has many college students and young people or couples starting out as their customers.

I bet they make the Nashville store an "urban" style store in-town/downtown and scrap plans for this suburban one...I read they are shooting for that model now. Maybe they will make some of their furniture's quality match the design with this new strategy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree with you. The furniture is low on quality and terribly over priced. It is mostly for modernists or college types. Nashville has plenty of both which is why it will do well here when/if it comes. As to It being a regional draw, I think it will pull at a lot away from the Memphis store and some from the Atlanta and Cincinnati stores. I am still not sure if the state can/will support two stores.
Definitely cheaply made/low on quality, and after a couple years breaks apart.

I think Tennessee can support 2 stores--they should be able to. Memphis draws from the mid south, so west TN, MS, AR, AL and even SW KY. Whereas if Nashville gets a store, it will draw from central and east TN, central KY, and north AL.
But then as I write this, I'm realizing GA and NC both only have 1 store, and they have about 3 million more people + than TN as a state...so, IKEA may in fact be overbuilding if a store comes to Nashville...

Old 05-28-2018, 10:19 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
I still have some (now vintage) IKEA furniture I bought when I was moving around every two years or so. While not every piece survived the moves, most have and look nice.

I also bought some stuff at the IKEA in Memphis within the past year (four hour drive). Enjoyed the meatballs for lunch.

As much as I'd like for Nashville to get an IKEA, I'm inclined to agree with jjbradley about overbuilding.

PS - as someone who has been paid to cook, never buy cheap pots and pans, or knives.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

PS - as someone who has been paid to cook, never buy cheap pots and pans, or knives.
Now you tell me. Lol

Old 05-28-2018, 01:31 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
IKEA is like H&M . . . it's more about the design than the quality? I have a dresser that I've had since Elementary School in the 60's and it's still very sturdy BUT also very dated. I'd say 75% of my IKEA stuff is still in decent shape and I have had good luck with their pots and pans. The important thing is a very flat bottom.

The BEST item from IKEA is those giant blue shopping bags! $1 each. Incredibly strong and great for moving.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 AM

93 posts, read 74,442 times
According to local sources, this store is dead. https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-me/654149002/

This is a shame. Antioch needs something to kickstart a revival and this store would have done it. Thousands of jobs are lost, property taxes are lost, and something to jumpstart the Antioch economy is gone.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:08 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ChurchStreet View Post
According to local sources, this store is dead. https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...-me/654149002/

This is a shame. Antioch needs something to kickstart a revival and this store would have done it. Thousands of jobs are lost, property taxes are lost, and something to jumpstart the Antioch economy is gone.
Wow, that sucks. Antioch, even with it slowly gentrifying, still gets a bad rap I feel (and for good reason at times). Glad we moved from there when we did.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ChurchStreet View Post

I literally just read that and was coming on here to post it now. It is a shame. I thought they would keep the Nashville store plans.

However, in the landscape of retail overall, I don't blame IKEA's shift to table planned stores. I bet they will move towards an urban style store for Nashville, which seems like the direction the strategy is headed for IKEA now.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 AM

Unlike Nashville's, I bet the San Antonio store is still "on."

They broke construction ground in March of this year, according to this article, so they may still be moving forward with this store, due to construction already underway.

https://therivardreport.com/ikea-sto...f-san-antonio/

A case of timing here, too. Had Nashville's store already been under construction, they might've gone forward. So, looks like IKEA cancelled Raleigh's, Phoenix' 2nd store, and Nashville's.

Wondering if Marietta, Georgia's store is still on? It would be Atlanta's 2nd. I can't find anything saying it has been cancelled. It too, may already be under construction.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Even though it's kinda a loss for Antioch area, I wouldn't be surprised and have a strange feeling we will hear news soon they have decided to build this in the urban core, close to Downtown in central city Nashville! Can't be for certain but it wouldn't surprise me in the least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville