Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:23 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
The sports teams should pay for their own playgrounds or go somewhere else.
Many are beginning to see it that way. That was part of the issue why St Louis turned down public funding for a mls stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
Where is Nashville getting the money to pay for the:
This isn't intended as a smartass response, but here:
http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/S...get%20Book.pdf

It's 711 pages, but it contains a mountain of information. FYI, the recommended budget for next year is $2.2 billion (city/county). But you can see just how much money is coming in, where it is coming from, and what it is going to.

Right now, 40% of the budget goes to schools, and only 12% goes to debt service (paying for things like the stadium, MCC, etc). It gets into pretty heavy detail.

There are also a lot of cool nuggets of information buried in there.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:16 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Many are beginning to see it that way. That was part of the issue why St Louis turned down public funding for a mls stadium.
It's also the reason I don't currently have a favorite NFL team, as mine moved because of this.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:35 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Are the Nashville politicos willing to increase hotel taxes to help pay for these types of projects?

Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Are the Nashville politicos willing to increase hotel taxes to help pay for these types of projects?
Our hotel taxes are already high.

Not sure why we would need to raise any taxes.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:57 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
About the only tax left to raise would be a local city sales/gas tax but that may be dedicated to go for the transit plan.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:54 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Nashville is one of four cities demonstrating momentum in the quest for a Major League Soccer expansion team, MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Wednesday, as the league moves closer to a decision in December.

In an interview with reporters prior to Wednesday's MLS All-Star Game in Chicago, Garber mentioned Nashville among a group of four cities that he said have been energized during the expansion process.

Others he singled out are Sacramento, long considered a front-runner for an MLS expansion franchise, Cincinnati and Detroit.

Nashville one of four cities energized for MLS expansion, commissioner says

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 AM

320 posts, read 540,372 times
This is great news! I hope they can come up with a stadium plan soon. That would make a bid even more promising.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nashville is one of four cities demonstrating momentum in the quest for a Major League Soccer expansion team, MLS Commissioner Don Garber said Wednesday, as the league moves closer to a decision in December.

In an interview with reporters prior to Wednesday's MLS All-Star Game in Chicago, Garber mentioned Nashville among a group of four cities that he said have been energized during the expansion process.

Others he singled out are Sacramento, long considered a front-runner for an MLS expansion franchise, Cincinnati and Detroit.

Nashville one of four cities energized for MLS expansion, commissioner says
Admittedly I'm a big soccer fan and proponent of an MLS team here, so I'm biased. That being said, a couple months ago I spoke with someone who was well-connected to the MLS who had no bias at all, as he said he just had just moved here like six weeks prior from Kansas City I think it was (original MLS city). I mean this guy was a walking fact book about all things soccer, and he knew in depth details about all 12 of the MLS expansion bids. Let's just say I trusted what he said. This was before Nashville started to pick up momentum in its bid, and he said his personal opinion is the 4 cities that will eventually be awarded a franchise will be Cincinnati, Sacramento, San Antonio and....Nashville. We were still a long shot (supposedly) at this point and in the time since he said that we've had nothing but positive momentum towards this and you know it's big when the commissioner has acknowledged not once, but twice, in the last month that we are gaining ground quickly.

Now, other than San Diego crapping all over itself with their MLS bid because that city can't do anything except get in its own way, and the St Louis funding falling apart, I don't know the status of the other bids, but I've been under the assumption that Sacramento and Cincy are locks and the other 10 are competing for the last 2 spots.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 AM

The ownership of the Minnesota Vikings have joined Nashville's MLS expansion bid group. Could be a big play there.

Wilf family, owners of the Minnesota Vikings, joins Nashville's MLS ownership group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville