Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times

Advertisements

Lol, Nashville has a few HBCU's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Lol, Nashville has a few HBCU's...
Exactly

Old 07-20-2018, 12:17 PM

157 posts, read 284,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
I am honestly curious why Black culture is not more prominent in Nashville? There are 4 Historically black colleges and universities in Nashville-which is the most outside of Atlanta. The city's signature dish is Nashville hot chicken, which came out of Nashville's black community. The origin of the city's nickname, "Music City", originates in the 1800s when the Fisk (HBCU) jubilee singers performed for an English Queen. She proclaimed that the singers must have come from a "Musical City".

Yet, there is no prominent upper class or even middle class black neighborhood. How can you have 4 colleges/universities and not a single strong economically viable neighborhood? Bordeaux and Trinity Hills are the closest Nashville has and they are sorely lacking in amenities. Almost every black neighborhood is gentrifying. I guess Antioch is the closest thing Nashville has to a middle class black neighborhood but its only 38.1 % black. The hip hop artist to achieve national success was Young Buck over a decade ago.

On top of al of it, Meharry Medical is a medical school. There was never a better way to escape poverty.

I don't understand the implication here, which is that this is unique to Nashville. How many upper class black neighborhoods can you name anywhere in the country?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:14 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
I don't understand the implication here, which is that this is unique to Nashville. How many upper class black neighborhoods can you name anywhere in the country?
It happens in some cases. Ladera Heights in LA (it's own city but surrounded by Los Angeles) is an example. Their black population is over 70%, and their median household income that I believe is over 100k a year. If it isn't it's up in that range. Does it happen? Sure, I'd assume, but I don't see anything weird about Nashville not having that kind of neighborhood.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 PM

163 posts, read 156,198 times
Quote:
There are quite a few in metro Atlanta, Dallas and Houston.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
They do exist mostly in large MSAs like Los Angeles, NYC, DC and Atlanta. Some sprinkled throughout TX cities, Chicago and St. Louis has a couple that made the 150 top income cities as well.

To answer the OPs question, Nashville isn't large enough. The area ranks 31st in number of Black residents. Many peer MSA's don't have areas like what's been described.

Reference https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...he-investment/

Old 07-22-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
They do exist mostly in large MSAs like Los Angeles, NYC, DC and Atlanta. Some sprinkled throughout TX cities, Chicago and St. Louis has a couple that made the 150 top income cities as well.

To answer the OPs question, Nashville isn't large enough. The area ranks 31st in number of Black residents. Many peer MSA's don't have areas like what's been described.

Reference https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...he-investment/
Don't agree size has anything to do with this imo, Nashville is a pretty big size city. I think this more or less has to do with the layout of the city not to mention it's a pretty integrated city unlike some of the above mentioned.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:40 AM

93 posts, read 74,471 times
I am surprised at the OP view Black Culture is not more prominent. With Fisk, TSU, and American Bible College setting standards for HBC colleges for over a century, Black academia is well represented.

The history here with the Woolworth sit-ins, and other historical political and educational movements here, Black Culture is very alive and well. The music industry, the Spoken Word and Poetry scene, the arts, cuisine, and so many other things, the Black Culture is thriving here.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:45 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Don't agree size has anything to do with this imo, Nashville is a pretty big size city. I think this more or less has to do with the layout of the city not to mention it's a pretty integrated city unlike some of the above mentioned.
It's a numbers game. The more people create more variations within a community. I'm sure if Nashville had the numbers of a top 20 Black MSA, I'm sure there would be some communities the resemble what the OP has mentioned.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It's a numbers game. The more people create more variations within a community. I'm sure if Nashville had the numbers of a top 20 Black MSA, I'm sure there would be some communities the resemble what the OP has mentioned.
Don't agree with this but it's all opinions.. As the above poster stated, black culture is very much alive in Nashville just very integrated and I like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville