Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM

7,399 posts, read 4,622,034 times

Advertisements

instead of grass to mow regularly?

I do. So here's another shake up to the Builders out there.

NOT ALL WANT TO MOW LAWNS. Some of us want to relax on Spring and Summer and privacy that trees provide and, guess what, they are already out there. All you have to do is leave those trees alone and just touch the ones where the lot of the house will stand.

We are moving to Middle Tennessee from various cities and one of the reasons is the charm of the hills and the trees on top of it. Some of us get dismayed when the community that started out as all trees becomes a rectangle of grazed soil. And it would have been fine if they fix it by replanting trees.

I have nothing against people who LOVES to mow. In fact, I had a colleague here in Nashville who said he loves mowing so much he does it every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 04:22 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,299,084 times
That's the charm of the more mature neighborhoods. Lots of trees. And big trees.

It seems most developers just want to take the easy route and flatten everything in sight.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,350,311 times
I AM a little bit of a grass nazi, BUT, I LOVE my large tree shaded yard in south suburban Atlanta. I have 30 plus trees on my acre and a half subdivision lot (all hardwoods running the gamut from the "decorative" crepe myrtles/ dogwoods/ redbuds to gigantic centuries old oaks, poplars. sweet gums, and hickories with one largish magnolia thrown in for good measure) How do I have both a lawn AND gorgeous and beautiful shade trees? Well for one think, I do try to keep my tree canopy "raised" and I use "deep shade" fescue seeds for the REALLY shady parts of my back yard and I really baby my grass to the point it creates much consternation with my lovely wife. I also have pine straw islands full of shade tolerant plants in the really dark areas. You can have the best of both worlds. Many people do refer to Metro Atlanta as "the urban forest".

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,533,999 times
If you want shade trees you need to move to an older neighborhood. Many of the new subdivisions never had trees to begin with, they were plowed farm fields sold to developers.

We bought in an older neighborhood after living in new construction for 10 years. I love the trees. My yard is so much cooler, even in the heat of the day.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:53 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,452,909 times
I see the value of trees, but after having a nice shaded backyard with no less than 4 diseased trees (and 2 more that weren't...yet...but shed big limbs on the roof) I have enjoyed the past few years of not worrying if a tree was going to fall over on my house during a storm. Or stiff wind.

Ideally, yeah, I'd have trees, but I honestly can say I haven't missed them that much. Especially in the fall.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,702,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I see the value of trees, but after having a nice shaded backyard with no less than 4 diseased trees (and 2 more that weren't...yet...but shed big limbs on the roof) I have enjoyed the past few years of not worrying if a tree was going to fall over on my house during a storm. Or stiff wind.

Ideally, yeah, I'd have trees, but I honestly can say I haven't missed them that much. Especially in the fall.
Exactly. I'm pretty sure my friend would agree after the storms/rain last week that took down a tree and crushed the side/roof of his house.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:31 AM

627 posts, read 1,842,709 times
We'll see how many people want a heavily treed lot when I go to sell later this year or early next year.

In the summer they provide good shade and sound dampening. I'm not sure that offsets the 2-3 times per year I have to deal with cleaning out the gutters along with the threat of numerous towering oak and walnut trees coming down in my living room.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 PM

374 posts, read 691,912 times
I live across the street from undeveloped forest. The one year I attempted to bag the leaf litter myself I ended up with 25 large bags and that was just the driveway (albeit a large one)! We seem to lose a tree a year to snow or disease and I have to admit I'm not too sad to see them go.

I don't get the lawn obsession. If you're not a golf course or parents of small children, what's the point? It's just lack of imagination for the most part.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,407,977 times
The OP doesn't seem to have lived through tornadoes or high winds... Never again will I have a tree close enough to the house to cause damage.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,070,811 times
Your tree doesn't have to be close enough to fall on the house. In a tornado, the trees next door can be planted in or on your living room. A friend lives on a couple acres of what was once farmland - she raises goats. No trees on her land,none of the neighbors' to both sides of hers. When the tornado hit her area, her roof was replaced with a tree - sideways across the roof. She was glad it wasn't through the house as she had no shelter and was hunkered down inside.

We don't rake leaves - not since moving to TN. We don't shovel snow - not since moving to SW TN (we sweep it or just watch it melt before noon). We love our trees - all of them - looks like a forest around our property. It helps to break the wind, gives us shade in summer, and we are going to call the tree-guy again soon since one more of the trees has begun shedding some of its huge branches. He took down 2 trees already - they aren't missed as there are so many. Leaves? Let them stay where they fall - we'll get them in spring with the first mowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville