Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris TX to Franklin View Post
Ernie,

Thw acrchitect is Brad Shapiro & designer Eva Keegan.

Hot rod,

I attempted to attach a picture. The house is beautiful and very happy with the finished product, although it isn't quite finished. It's an ongoing process pushing the builder to get the last few things done. Did you buy acreage or in a subdivision? It will definitely take longer if you bought acreage in the country like I did. The longest part is getting your septic approval & permit. I was told 6-7 months but it ended up taking 13 so I'm glad I started that on my own before choosing a builder. If you're in a subdivision then you won't have to mess with that so let me know before I explain the whole process.
Thanks for the information regarding the architect/designer. The photo you posted is beautiful and the best possible endorsement of their work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 11:21 PM

18 posts, read 30,407 times
Hotrod,

Best of luck. I enjoyed a lot of the process but glad it's over and won't ever have to do it again because this is the last home for me . One custom builder that I heard good things about is Bernie Bloemer so I'd include him in your list to interview. I heard about him a little late in the interview process and he was too busy to start one when we planned to start. I rarely saw my builder even though I think he's a good guy so wouldn't want to recommend him unless you have the time to supervise daily construction.

Regarding the septic, I ended up going conventional because the soil scientist, first step of 4 phases, recommend since we have a lot of acres like you and conventional is thousands less than modified. But in my case the septic field is 1500 ft from the house and we have 2 back up fields that are another 500 feet further. If we had gone with a Modified system it could have been much closer to the house and you need 1 back up spot instead of 2. Plus getting conventional approval ended up taking a few months longer because the soil scientist is so busy you have to wait weeks or more every time you need him to do something else. It's a long screwed up process but I would have gone Modified instead of conventional if I had known everything I know now. But you may have perfect soil close to where you want to build so conventional may be the way to go for you. So have a soil scientist out to check and if he has to go more than 1000 ft away to find decent soil then I'd consider doing Modified and not waste a bunch of time on conventional.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 7,364 times
Thanks for the note Chris and all the info. We are actually having our perc test done next week so we'll see how it goes. In speaking to the guy we've hired he felt it would be pretty easy to find a site since there is already a house on the property. I am able to be onsite full time when we build as I retired early, but would still like a builder that stops by every day. I don't see the point of paying extra money for a site supervisor. One builder we talked to wanted an extra 35K just for his supervisor to be there all day. When I asked him where he'd be if there was a supervisor he said "in my office". We knew right then he wasn't our guy. This is not our first rodeo so fortunately we do have some experience in how things should go.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 7,364 times
Hey Chris, update. Our new home should be ready to.move into early April. Our builder got the septic permit in about 3 weeks. Maybe we just got lucky. Next we renovate the old house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville