Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 06:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,977,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Don't forget all the colleges and universities in Nashville. There are also a number of excellent museums, Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, historic home museums and the zoo. Nashville is also the state capital, which means there's a significant role given to state government.

In addition to proximity to the Great Smokies, Nashville is not far away from Fall Creek Falls State Park, Natchez Trace State Park, and Mammoth Cave National Park. Chattanooga, with its museums, aquarium, and Lookout Mountain attractions, is right down the road. There are also numerous Civil War sites close to Nashville, the Franklin Battlefield being most notable.
I would completely agree with all of this... except the zoo. Nashville's zoo is very small and quaint and it's a nice place if you have kids and a couple of hours to spare but I would never say to someone, go to Nashville, you can visit the Zoo! It would be one of the last things I recommend they see. Much larger more attraction based cities (and even those who aren't attraction based) have much better Zoo's.
To the OP I grew up in Columbus and yes, Nashville has seen unprecedented growth the past few years. I think its seemingly "low cost of living", and no state taxes have attracted jobs and subsequently people making it a more popular and growth oriented city. I feel like (still being a 20 something) the city has a very young feel and as such it exudes a sense of excitement for visitors. People want to come see the music/entertainment industry sites and history (as well as the downtown bars & attractions) and as such business continues to cater to those people (new restaurants, attractions,etc) which then attracts more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 06:58 PM

374 posts, read 690,825 times
Check out Nashville Scene for local music listings. I tend to think of mainstream country as a big revenue export product and tourist attraction but actually most of the locals I know aren't fans.

That said, if you don't develop an appreciation for traditional honky tonk music you might be soulless.

Last edited by sucrose; 08-06-2017 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,763,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Don't forget all the colleges and universities in Nashville. There are also a number of excellent museums, Cheekwood Botanical Gardens, historic home museums and the zoo. Nashville is also the state capital, which means there's a significant role given to state government.
These are all very good points. There are around 100,000 college students in 21 colleges and universities in Middle Tennessee, with about 17,000 graduates each year. That kind of youthful exuberance is palpable and touches nearly every aspect of life in the Nashville area. There are literally thousands of alumni who return every year for games, campus visits with kids and grandkids, reunions, etc. And then there's the number of people who come to Nashville for NCAA sports, from Vanderbilt to MTSU to TSU to Belmont to Lipscomb, and many (probably most) of them end up staying for a couple of days just to enjoy the sites. It's one reason the SEC has made Nashville a semi-permanent host for its basketball tournaments.

Nashville is also a popular destination for history lovers, with a couple of Civil War battlefields in the metro area and several historical homes, particularly the Hermitage (home of President Andrew Jackson) and Belle Meade Plantation.

And to the naysayers who poo-poo Nashville's restaurant scene, chew on this from Food & Wine:

Philip Krajeck ticks off a list of restaurants that are opening in Nashville. “I hear the folks from Au Cheval are coming from Chicago,” he says. “Every week it’s a new chef, a new place. Donald Link is bringing Cochon Butcher from New Orleans. Flip Burger, Farm Burger, Yeah! Burger: They’re all opening places. Tim Love is supposed to be coming from Texas. Jonathan Waxman is already here from New York City.”

“It’s like they found the golden ticket,” Krajeck tells me on my most recent trip to the Tennessee capital. He is a relative newcomer, the chef-owner of the two-year-old Rolf and Daughters. Even he is astonished by the pace 
of change. “I don’t know what to compare this to. Maybe the boom years in Vegas?”

Nashville's Restaurant Scene Goes Boom | Food & Wine

or this from USA Today:

Nashville has long been known for its music scene, specifically country music. But over the past few years, the city has also become something of a culinary destination. And recently, restaurants have been popping up — many in the Gulch neighborhood, but all over the city — that have been cementing that reputation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...nts/100461998/

Zagat ranked Nashville as America's 16th hottest food city (ahead of San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Austin, Houston, and Miami):
https://www.zagat.com/b/the-26-hotte...cities-of-2016

USNews ranked Nashville among the country's "15 Best Foodie Cities"

15 Best Foodie Cities in the USA | U.S. News Travel

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 PM

4,337 posts, read 4,692,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
Kings of Leon and Moon Taxi are certainly not country.
Jack White
The Black Keys
Tommy Shaw of Styx fame
The Wild Feathers
The Weeks
The Kills
Paramore
Some dude named Justin Timberlake
Most Americana artists

And these are the ones just off the top of my head.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,487,172 times
I agree with the other comments here regarding the allure of Nashville. It's not "in your face" with "biggest ____ center" in the USA, etc. I'd venture that most people of a certain stage in life think smaller cities/metros are preferable to larger one. While Nashville has everything many large cities have, the lifestyle is easy. As such, people who visit there can easily see themselves living there. And many do move there when they get a chance. There's also the so-called "sweet spot" that growing cities find themselves in when they hit around 2 million. It's like the growth rate lurches into a higher gear. That's where Nashville is today.

Then there's the novelty of any place that is just being "discovered" by the mavens who make places cool. Think East Nashville --- and to lesser, 12South, Gulch, et.al. Not long ago, I read an airline magazine that had a feature on Nashville (seems they all do these days). I read that "East Nashville is so cool, it's been known to snow in July." It was written in such a way that the reader was presumed to know where/what East Nashville was all about. That's the hype Nashville is getting these days. Much of it is because biz leaders in music and publishing are already there. They've chosen to live there for cost of living, central location, easygoing lifestyle, etc. And they do benefit from the hype, as young would-be employees are moving there in droves.

But don't discount the local beauty of the hills, valleys, rivers/streams in people's decisions to live in Nashville. It truly is beautiful. As far as cities go, it's a green place and compared to other Southern cities the flora and topography are so much more visually appealing. Rock outcroppings and towering oaks right next to the street can be dramatic, especially for someone who grew up with red clay and scrubby pines all around her.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:15 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,453,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
My question is not meant to be controversial, more mainly to have an idea from locals about why this is happening.

So, my general impression of Nashville is that of a nice, growing, Sun Belt City that is the home of country music, and has good nightlife. That being said, I don't necessarily see it as a dynamic urban space in the very very Top of the US, and while it has some historic sections, I wouldn't say it's nationally renowned for them, or is a place with a million different entertainment attractions, etc. Also, while it has a good riverside setting and some nice natural features (forest around town, Percy Warner Park hills, some medium sized lakes, start of the Natchez Trace), it's not necessarily near mountains enough to be considered a base for getting to them, and is quite removed from the ocean and gulf, so I don't necessarily see it as a "leader" for natural beauty, etc.

This is why I am confused then: From both of my reasonably sized/extended social networks in Ohio and Florida, I can tell you that the single tourist destination most of them visit outside of local areas obviously, is Nashville. It's more popular than any city, or natural feature other than that, anywhere. Now, I suppose one part of that is it's cheap and reasonably easy to get to. But, honestly, while I'd probably check out a couple venues/music history site in and around (RCA Studio, Johnny Cash and unrelated Parthenon and Hermitage), I'm honestly not even that big of a country music person, if I'm being honest. In regards to nightlife, I hear that it has a good reputation, but at the same time, what I mainly see as distinct would be 2nd Ave (though honestly, that looks like mostly chains that aren't uncommon in other metros) and Broadway, which appears to be a cool 3 block long strip of bars that regularly have live music, plus some esteemed venues like Ryman. I'm sure I would enjoy that strip, but I just don't know if what I would find would be that much more distinctive than nightlife districts in another mid sized city, though perhaps I'm wrong.

So, I'm not saying all this to be negative about Nashville. I really am not, and I plan on visiting for a full day or two when passing through some time. But what I am wondering, is what is it that I'm missing the mark on that seems to be making it the most popular city to visit in the US? Is Country Music and/or Music History just THAT popular now that it's a destination for that many? Is the nightlife somehow objectively that much better and/or different than any other US city (it is called NashVegas, so maybe it is)? Or is it some other angle of the city I'm missing the mark on? I know there has to be some reason/reasons so many go and go back.

I'm just genuinely curious to hear positive thoughts regarding your fair city. Also, perhaps some of the better nature trails and viewpoints immediately around town, since I do plan on stopping through en route to Ohio for a day or so next summer. Thanks!
It's and Exciting City to me, Diverse, Growing Rapidly, Fast, you can feel the Energy in the Air and I love it!!! I'm not a Country Music fan at all and I love Nashville.. Wish people would stop stereo typing the City as all things Country Music, smh... I'm not downing Country music, just not a fan of it but I love how the City is a Beautiful mix of people that no one expects. Hey, I think what I love about it the most is no one expects Nashville to be the City that it is so they get caught off Guard... Very low expectations and then they are blown away, especially for Minorities smh!!! I'm black and I get a kick out of it every time some one that is Black or Hispanic or other visits Nashville to see what the City really is... Guess that's why almost 100 people a day move there... LOL

Old 08-07-2017, 10:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,862,791 times
Nashville is a groovy city man. We have the coolest people on earth here.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,453,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I like the greenery in Nashville as well as the idea that it is a growing city.

I guess Nashville has a unique market with country music that makes it stand out and gives some people a place to go and party who would think of South Beach or Chicago as an abomination. The fact that most major cities don't have country music venues downtown is a thing that sets Nashville apart from other cities.

I personally don't think Nashville is the nightlife and food mecca they claim to be. Trust me, if I am looking to eat and party Chicago, Atlanta, Vegas, South Beach, New Orleans and many other cities come to mind before Nashville.
I honestly see the Country Music theme as a selling point, theme for Nashville, that's it, that's not the real Nashville a lot like South Beach is to Miami. South Beach is hardly true or the real Miami, that's tourist, lol... You don't see people walking around the city in a Country Music theme, I think that would be mostly Tourist if you did.. by the way Country Music is not the only music based out to Nashville,,, its Music City!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,606,171 times
Sucrose... LOL. I can't say that I know exactly what "honky tonk" music is, but I'm sure I wouldn't mind it. I don't really dislike country either, I'm just generally not that big on music overall (though, I'd say that rock, rap (although I'm VERY picky on that) and classical/instrumental and movie scores are probably my highest up).

N.Cal.: Impressive list. I didn't know many of those were from Nashville.

JMT: I'm never gonna knock any city for it's food. Anymore though (and this isn't to bash Nashville) but I feel like most all reasonably cities seem to have at least a number of pretty darn good food options. I mean I was in Charleston WV about a month ago (a nice small city, don't get me wrong, but quite small and not known for being a foodie town), and I had some of the best/most inventive coffee/sushi of my life. I don't doubt Nashville has many great food options though (and honestly I think aesthetic is more important as a distinguishing factor when many places have good food, and Nashville probably does have some pretty sweet aesthetics).

shinestx: I get that also. It seems like Charleston SC is one of the most universally well liked cities in the US, Asheville also, and they aren't exactly massive places. They just have a nice feel, and do certain things people like, really, really, well. I would tend to agree with that as well. Nashville isn't Portland, and in terms of access to mountains/outdoor recreation, I'm not sure it's quite as strong as Charlotte or Atlanta, but I think it may outrank every other one of the 14 major southern cities. In fact, I'm a nerd for random stuff like this, and so I looked at the topographical relief within a 10 mile radius of every city in the US a while back, and Nashville has more than any of the other 30 Big League cities east of the Rockies (Cleveland was 2nd).

VanderbiltGrad: LOL!!!

oobanks: I get that. The city definitely seems to offer more than that. Thanks for your input!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:48 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,487,172 times
^^ Nashville is the sort of place (only large city perhaps) where celebrities can go to restaurants and be unmolested by fans. Sure, they'll create a bit of a scene when they arrive, but then things calm down pretty quickly.

As a general rule, people don't bother celebrities. That's why Steven Tyler Steven Tyler: Nashville fits 'like an old shoe'
Steve Winwood (he married a Tennessee gal) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Winwood , Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift (went to high school in Hendersonville), Peter Frampton Peter Frampton on going acoustic, believing in America , Judy Collins, Sheryl Crow Sheryl Crow Nashville Home - Sheryl Crow House Tour , Kirk Herbstreit A Place to Call Home: Living Normal in Nashville – Sports and Entertainment Nashville , Elizabeth and Matt Hasselbeck, Jay Cutler and Kristen Cavallari In Nashville, Jay Cutler and Kristin Cavallari will find what they can't in Chicago - Chicago Tribune , Eddie George, Niki Taylor, (all just off the top of my head) have homes in Nashville. Of course, with the international popularity of "country" music, the area also claims Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban and the cast of "Nashville" which is as popular as the old TV show "Dallas" in European and Asian countries and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville