Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM

16 posts, read 53,953 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that thinks we should stand up and put our pants back on when we buy gas?
It would seem to me that after saving the oil wells in Kuwait AND Iraq that we should be getting a discount on the $111 a barrel price. There's a helluvalot of oil coming out of Alaska but where is it going? Doesn't seem to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Gas prices are not dectated by the united states of America. Oil is a exhaustable resources, and as it becomes harder to get it out of the ground and the less we have the more money we at the pump will pay. You should look into "peak oil". You should also think about getting a more gas efficient car or taking public transportation. Well, you could also consider a scooter or motorcycle. Other than that, besides staying home more often there is little else we can do.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:53 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Gas prices are not dectated by the united states of America. Oil is a exhaustable resources, and as it becomes harder to get it out of the ground and the less we have the more money we at the pump will pay. You should look into "peak oil". You should also think about getting a more gas efficient car or taking public transportation. Well, you could also consider a scooter or motorcycle. Other than that, besides staying home more often there is little else we can do.
And, if it's just about the money, invest in an energy mutual fund as a hedge. I have shares in Vanguard Energy. I believe it gained 37% last year, 33% the year before.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
alley

alternative fuels will be the next bubble so it would be good to get in now

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 AM

156 posts, read 451,181 times
Oil prices are dictated by Wall Street! No, not the pub in the square in M'boro, the actual Wall Street in NYC. It's sad that THEY dictate what prices will be, but alas, that's the way it is.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 53,953 times
First of all, I do understand supply and demand. I'm second generation in the construction business. Secondly I have a guzzler and 2 sippers unfortunately the "sippers" won't pull the camper, the boat, or 2 track like the Jeep will. Third, it's not the money, it's the principle.

Oil prices are not dictated by Wall Street and less by supply and demand than the greedy whims of the oil Chartel and their American counter parts who keep bragging about record profits. The same people that begged us to come rescue them and put out the fires back when Georgie's daddy refused to finish the job are the same people that participate in the decision to over charge just because they can, and our government lets them. The only say WE have in it is deciding which liar to elect next time which would be more acceptable if it were someone living in the same galaxy as the average person.

Geez, I'm usually pretty laid back. Better get off the "soap box" before it tips over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville