Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 PM

176 posts, read 180,341 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Nashville as soon as we sell our home in Houston, Tx. While I have visited the city several times for work, I've never really gotten to check it out from a living standpoint. I will be coming up for a week long training with plans on doing some driving and looking, and setting up some time with a realtor over a weekend to look at homes.

The issue comes down to where to try to focus. With 2 kids (2nd and 6th grade), schools are a number one priority. I know Williamson county gets the #1 spot there but not sure if we can afford that or find something we like.

We are looking at spending $300-350k (really wanted to go less than that, but the market appears to be crazy compared to what I'm used to in Houston). Probably looking for 4 bed/2 bath or bigger (3/2 if it has a dedicated study since I work from home a lot), 2000+ sq. ft. We still have a slight difference of opinion on lot size... the wife wants suburb and I would prefer 1+ acres

Geographically.. I tend to lean more to the East like Hendersonville or Mount Juliet. People have already warned to stay away from Smyrna/La Vergne due to the traffic. Recommendations of of course have been for Brentwood and Franklin... but that $350k limit seems to rule those areas out. The work office will be by the airport for now, with the possibility of moving down by Vanderbilt in the future and would prefer to keep my commute around 30 minutes. Currently commute 60-90 minutes in the Houston area.. so anything is better

House-wise, dreaming would have a basement, large open kitchen (hate "galley" kitchens), pantry, covered patio/deck/sunroom... and trees. Really not a fan of the empty suburban lots. However, I'm thinking that isn't going to happen in our price point. I'm not really concerned about "walkability" but having things in close driving proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 AM

13,341 posts, read 39,831,776 times
If you want good schools near the airport for under $350k, Mount Juliet is the obvious choice. The Jackson Hills development in Mount Juliet is next to highly-rated Mount Juliet HS and less than a mile from MJ Middle and Elzie Patton ES. It's also right on the newly-built Golden Bear Gateway, a 4-lane divided highway that links directly to I-40 with easy access to the airport and downtown. The road is so new, it's not even on Google Maps yet; neither is the Jackson Hills development, for that matter. Jackson Hills has a community center (pool, sand volleyball, workout room, clubhouse) and nice floor plans that match your budget and criteria. I have a friend who just moved there from Franklin and loves it although he moved to MJ so he could take the train to his job downtown.

If I were you and looking to move to Nashville and wanted a 4BR house for less than $350k in an area with great schools and easy access to the airport and downtown, I would be hard pressed to find a better place than Mount Juliet.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 08-26-2017 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 11:04 AM

914 posts, read 1,977,875 times
If you haven't calculated property taxes into the equation, do so. Texas has crazy high property taxes compared to Tennessee (roughly 2-3x as much in many cases) which deflates Texas property values and inflates Tennessee prices in relation to each other. Don't be surprised if the total cost of ownership of a $350k house in Texas equates to a house prices of $500k here.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM

Yeah, property taxes are crazy down here in Texas. Looking forward to getting away from that

Looks like Mt Juliet is our #1 option. I did see that they are talking about building another HS around 2020, and there may be rezoning between now and then. Having just gone through that process down here (new HS, 2 new K-4) that is always stressful. Our schools in the area are busting at the seams (5-6 has 14 portable classrooms this year, the K-4 my youngest is in currently has about 1k students.. after a new elementary was opened).

Looking forward to getting up there to see some areas in person. There is only so far online pictures can take you

Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM

13,341 posts, read 39,831,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post
Yeah, property taxes are crazy down here in Texas. Looking forward to getting away from that

Looks like Mt Juliet is our #1 option. I did see that they are talking about building another HS around 2020, and there may be rezoning between now and then. Having just gone through that process down here (new HS, 2 new K-4) that is always stressful. Our schools in the area are busting at the seams (5-6 has 14 portable classrooms this year, the K-4 my youngest is in currently has about 1k students.. after a new elementary was opened).

Looking forward to getting up there to see some areas in person. There is only so far online pictures can take you
The new high school in MJ will be just a couple of miles from the current MJHS and will serve the "old" part of MJ, the part closest to Nashville along Hwy 70. One thing I've noticed about Tennessee school districts (and this is true pretty much state-wide): there is a palpable aversion to putting students in portable classrooms. Even in fast-growing counties like Williamson and Wilson, they're pretty good at building new schools before existing schools get very overcrowded. Mount Juliet could really use a new high school right now, but waiting til 2020 won't be too bad. Even though the current MJHS is already over capacity, there are creative ways to add more students without resorting to putting them in trailers.

At any rate, Mount Juliet is probably your best bet given your parameters. I don't live there and don't have kids, but my friends who do live there absolutely love it and rave about the schools. Having a commuter train that goes straight to downtown Nashville is a nice bonus.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,715,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post

Hope you guys are okay in the flood. So sorry for what is happening in Houston right now.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,072,977 times
PS. Basements are VERY hard to find down here . . . we do have a lot of trees though!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Yeah, Texas is trying to get the last word in Making the packing process to get the house on the market a pain. Had a staging company scheduled to come out on Tuesday.. doubt that is happening now. So far, we are good and above any forcasted flood plains. The issue will be the roads to and from our little land island, but hey that's an extra selling point that we didn't take any water during this mess right

I guess the good side is we can't go anywhere so plenty of time to pack. Down side is we didn't get enough boxes and don't have anywhere to move them to because the relocation includes packing and we were just focusing on decluttering with plans of putting them in a storage unit as we went.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
PS. Basements are VERY hard to find down here . . . we do have a lot of trees though!
Easier to find than in Houston

I had looked before and thought they seemed more common than i guess they are. Not a deal breaker though, just would have been nice to have someplace a little more out of earshot for all my computer gear, build out a home theater area, etc.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 7,699 times
I agree that Mt Juliet is a great choice for your family. I'm not just biased because I have lived here my entire life, either. There are areas like Hermitage that are close to Nashville but the schools are not as good as those in Wilson County. We also have low property taxes and I am confident you could find a great family home in the $350,000 range. If you look in older neighborhoods, you may even be able to find a basement home as well. If you can't find a basement, you will almost definitely be able to find a bonus room!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville