Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family is going to be relocating to the Nashville area in a few months because my husbands work is transferring him there to open up a new region. I have only visited once (and it was about 15 years ago) so I really don't know anything about the neighborhoods or area in general. We have lived mostly in Atlanta for the past 10 years and have gotten fed up with the ever increasing ridiculous rent prices, crime, and don't even get me started on the traffic .. so I am very excited at the prospect of a slower paced life.

We have a 4 year old and a baby on the way and we're looking to rent for the first year to save up to buy a house so schools aren't necessarily a factor at this point but will be later on. I am looking for somewhere thats safer because I'll be home alone with the kids a lot. We are a creative/artistic family but like the quiet life for the most part. I'd even be OK with somewhere thats a little bit outside of the city and more scenic as my husband won't have an office situated anywhere (he just needs to be able to get to the health food stores around town). Our budget is 1200 maximum and although I would prefer a small house, I am also looking at townhouses and apartments just to cover more ground. I don't know if certain neighborhoods are more likely to have hardwoods either but that is definitely on my list too because of having small kids and an allergy to mold/mildew.

Any suggestions would be very helpful, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Nashville has changed quite a bit in 15 years . . . . You might want to check out Murfreesboro. Although it's not a great commute into Nashville, it sounds like your husband could be flexible about the time he makes the drive and could work it to miss a lot of the traffic. Zillow.com has a "rent" option.

Bellevue (west of the city) might be an option as well but even there, $1200 won't go too far.

Can you visit before you move up here?

Old 09-05-2017, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,784 times
He works for a brokerage company so he won't have a physical office but will be traveling to grocery stores around the Nashville area and some in Knoxville and Chattanooga quarterly. We will definitely get to visit and check everything out beforehand at some point but I didn't even know where to begin. we used to live in West Asheville when I was in school and I liked being able to walk to things safetly and that kids would be everywhere hanging out. I don't know if there is an equivalent to that kind of neighborhood there...

Old 09-05-2017, 09:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
"Walkability" is something that's very much in demand and therefore expensive up here. And probably everywhere. Rents up here have become "increasingly ridiculous" too - in the last 5 or 6 years.

Realtracs.com also has a RENT option that you should try . . to see how far your rent money will go up here. Here is a townhome in Thompsons Station for $1250:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville