Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
Agreed. I think Nashville is a bit lacking in the international airport requirement as well. They have a world-wide presence and I'm sure would prefer an airport with direct flights to those locations.
Uhm, Nashville does have direct flights to the cities Amazon has listed among its requirements:
https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/
  • Seattle (Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines)
  • New York (JFK - American Airlines, Delta Air Lines; LGA - American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines; EWR - United Airlines)
  • San Francisco (SFO - United Airlines, Virgin America Airlines; OAK - Southwest Airlines)
  • Washington (DCA - American Airlines, Southwest Airlines; IAD - United Airlines; BWI - Southwest Airlines)
In fact, Nashville's airport is larger than either Austin's or Raleigh's, both cities that seem to be media darlings when it comes to speculation on who will win Amazon's HQ2.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 PM

10,048 posts, read 14,414,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Uhm, Nashville does have direct flights to the cities Amazon has listed among its requirements:
https://qz.com/1071832/amazons-hq2-w...-headquarters/
  • Seattle (Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines)
  • New York (JFK - American Airlines, Delta Air Lines; LGA - American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines; EWR - United Airlines)
  • San Francisco (SFO - United Airlines, Virgin America Airlines; OAK - Southwest Airlines)
  • Washington (DCA - American Airlines, Southwest Airlines; IAD - United Airlines; BWI - Southwest Airlines)
In fact, Nashville's airport is larger than either Austin's or Raleigh's, both cities that seem to be media darlings when it comes to speculation on who will win Amazon's HQ2.
That's what I thought when I initially read the previous comment, that Nashville's airport was probably busier than Austin's.

I think Nashville has a decent shot at this. Amazon will pick who they pick, but Nashville has a ton going for it, and certainly the momentum of being a hot city to visit, to move to, and to get a job in, and will only help them tremendously for consideration.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
And just to kill everyone's buzz (in every city, really), there's this:

Why your city will lose the contest for Amazon's new HQ (Slate)

Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 14,414,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
And just to kill everyone's buzz (in every city, really), there's this:

Why your city will lose the contest for Amazon's new HQ (Slate)
That's a great article! Thanks for sharing...solid points!

I say it goes to Minneapolis or Boston

Old 09-09-2017, 09:47 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,085 times
It's Northern Virginia or maybe Maryland's to lose, but Maryland is not a business friendly state. Every city east of the Mississippi is competing against the suburbs of DC, where Mr. Bezos has a little newspaper and other interests, such as government. And I think there are too many advantages for any other city to overcome.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,587 times
Would be interesting to note and wonder if Nashville could pull off a win with this one by vowing to building Key Transit Hubs around Amazon if they come, kinda center this Mass Transit and rail plan around them in a Major way. With Nashville being so new and fresh with all of it's success and growth, it's location, not to mention it's plans to span Mass Transit in the coming years I think they have a Major chance of pulling this off. While other's are looking at cities like maybe Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, Boston, etc. for a win. Those cities already have light rail or heavy rail lines in place. Nashville actually has a chance here to do something the other cities can't quite do at first glace, and that's to cater more or build their Mass Transit rail lines around Amazon/ cater to them so to speak!! Just a thought..

Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,959,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Would be interesting to note and wonder if Nashville could pull off a win with this one by vowing to building Key Transit Hubs around Amazon if they come, kinda center this Mass Transit and rail plan around them in a Major way. With Nashville being so new and fresh with all of it's success and growth, it's location, not to mention it's plans to span Mass Transit in the coming years I think they have a Major chance of pulling this off. While other's are looking at cities like maybe Dallas, Philly, Atlanta, Boston, etc. for a win. Those cities already have light rail or heavy rail lines in place. Nashville actually has a chance here to do something the other cities can't quite do at first glace, and that's to cater more or build their Mass Transit rail lines around Amazon/ cater to them so to speak!! Just a thought..
We are talking about an employment hub of around 50k I think. Definitely large enough for TOD especially with a DT setting. LRT needs to be funded and in planning stages for it to hold any weight. Many cities have lines under construction or on the drawing boards.

LRT is too expensive to center around one particular company. It takes a whole city with high density to support, fund and build LRT.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
It should be pointed out that they're not going to move 50,000 employees here. I imagine the buildings and the jobs will be phased in over a number of years. So in terms of infrastructure, they probably aren't just looking at what is in place, but what will, or could be (promises/pitches from various cities) in place by the time things get underway. So Nashville not having good mass transit infrastructure in place is a negative, but Nashville having plans (and hopefully moving forward) for mass transit are probably a positive mark.

That said, I still view this as a very long shot.

I think what works in our favor is that we have no state income tax (a few states share that with us) and we are in a very, very accessible location (easy to drive and fly from the majority of the country). Also, in terms of location, Kentucky has a large number of Amazon warehouses, and Tennessee has several, too. One website I looked at said this "Similar to Kentucky, Tennessee has a major Amazon warehouse footprint. With six FBA fulfillment center locations, Tennessee combines with Kentucky represents the largest density of Amazon warehouses in the US." That, and being a hot city right now, could work in our favor.

I'm not really counting on this, though. I imagine there will be certain states that offer MASSIVE incentives to Amazon for this.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
We are talking about an employment hub of around 50k I think. Definitely large enough for TOD especially with a DT setting. LRT needs to be funded and in planning stages for it to hold any weight. Many cities have lines under construction or on the drawing boards.

LRT is too expensive to center around one particular company.
True

Quote:
It takes a whole city with high density to support, fund and build LRT.
Not true, Charlotte and Austin are not very dense cities. They are, however, becoming more dense.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It should be pointed out that they're not going to move 50,000 employees here. I imagine the buildings and the jobs will be phased in over a number of years. So in terms of infrastructure, they probably aren't just looking at what is in place, but what will, or could be (promises/pitches from various cities) in place by the time things get underway. So Nashville not having good mass transit infrastructure in place is a negative, but Nashville having plans (and hopefully moving forward) for mass transit are probably a positive mark.

That said, I still view this as a very long shot.

I think what works in our favor is that we have no state income tax (a few states share that with us) and we are in a very, very accessible location (easy to drive and fly from the majority of the country). Also, in terms of location, Kentucky has a large number of Amazon warehouses, and Tennessee has several, too. One website I looked at said this "Similar to Kentucky, Tennessee has a major Amazon warehouse footprint. With six FBA fulfillment center locations, Tennessee combines with Kentucky represents the largest density of Amazon warehouses in the US." That, and being a hot city right now, could work in our favor.

I'm not really counting on this, though. I imagine there will be certain states that offer MASSIVE incentives to Amazon for this.

I agree with ALL of this, except, I am a little more optimistic of our chances for landing this. My concern is that the bulk of that 50,000 employees will come from other cities, putting even more strain on the resources here.

If jobs are going to come to Nashville, I would prefer more corporate opportunities outside of healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville