Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times

Advertisements

FWIW, posted at another development board. https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...tml?cid=search

Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
FWIW, posted at another development board. https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk...tml?cid=search
Not attacking you for posting this, but I have a heavy question for anyone putting stock in a gambling site posting odds about this move. Unless there are some solid analytics behind this, it just seems like a feeling.

That said, Nashville has been riding an unbelievable wave in the past couple of years, so I'm not dismissing this completely. There is something about being the "it" city that gets you all kinds of points that you should not get....but my guess is that Amazon isn't picking their HQ2 off of feels. If they pick Nashville, it's because they think it will be the it city beyond 2020. Much like Atlanta's meteoric rise from the 70s to the 00s.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
This is old, but don't discount the connection that the music industry in Nashville has to Amazon.
HITS Daily Double : Rumor Mill - AMAZON ECHOES IN MUSIC CITY

Then of course there's healthcare that Amazon has announced they intend to transform.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#2fd2c3055448

And the usual observations of the creative talent in Nashville.
More Than a Music Town, Nashville Is a Booming Marketing Hub | News - AdAge

Then I'm astounded by the sheer number of apartments being built and filled on a continual basis now in Nashville. I asked a developer there if they were having trouble filling them and he said "we can't build 'em fast enough". So I asked why it's happening. He said, "Under 30s are moving here like it's their Land of Opportunity. It's beautiful and has its own identity as a relaxed place to live forever. And they're not taxed to the teeth. Most important for them right now is there's so much to do EVERY NIGHT."

Old 06-06-2018, 07:17 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
I know many may feel that Nashville is out for the count when it comes to the city getting Amazon based off of the downed light rail vote but I think many forget the city already has a Commuter rail system in place. "The RTA Music City Star"! Does anyone feel it could be possible or is there any sites located along that corridor from DT Nashville to Lebanon or is this totally out of the question? I'm not in Nashville so I'm not familiar with any possible sites. Could this system be upgraded to handle higher capacity if awarded to the city or is there any areas for a mix use Transit development around these stations? Was just curious

Old 06-06-2018, 02:14 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I know many may feel that Nashville is out for the count when it comes to the city getting Amazon based off of the downed light rail vote but I think many forget the city already has a Commuter rail system in place. "The RTA Music City Star"! Does anyone feel it could be possible or is there any sites located along that corridor from DT Nashville to Lebanon or is this totally out of the question? I'm not in Nashville so I'm not familiar with any possible sites. Could this system be upgraded to handle higher capacity if awarded to the city or is there any areas for a mix use Transit development around these stations? Was just curious
Commuter rail doesn't offer the same inner city transit as heavy or light rail. Amazon like so many companies and individuals are looking for urban locations with high density walkable neighborhoods. I know when many relocate to a new city they specifically ask about walkability, rail transit and grocery stores when choosing a neighborhood.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post

If Amazon is going to build a new building or campus to hold X number of people they may find property available for mixed use development. The area most ripe for this is in the Cool Springs area. Depends if Amazon wants a downtown- mid city site or a suburban location.

The "easy" way for the Music City Star to add capacity would be to run more than 2 trains for the few hours a day it operates. Travel time is about an hour from end to end. It would take some investment in more track & to have this happen. It is built on a mostly single track short line. There is no way it could be converted into a high speed line.

Public transit here carries only 2%. Private cars carry 80%. Getting 2 or more in a carpool would help a lot. About 10% use vanpools. It could be possible for Amazon to get into a vanpool mode.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
If Amazon is going to build a new building or campus to hold X number of people they may find property available for mixed use development. The area most ripe for this is in the Cool Springs area. Depends if Amazon wants a downtown- mid city site or a suburban location.

The "easy" way for the Music City Star to add capacity would be to run more than 2 trains for the few hours a day it operates. Travel time is about an hour from end to end. It would take some investment in more track & to have this happen. It is built on a mostly single track short line. There is no way it could be converted into a high speed line.

Public transit here carries only 2%. Private cars carry 80%. Getting 2 or more in a carpool would help a lot. About 10% use vanpools. It could be possible for Amazon to get into a vanpool mode.
Great info and insight on this

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,949 times
I don’t think there’s any plan for them to go to Cool Springs. From my understanding they were scouting the North Bank area across from downtown. There are also some thoughts that they were looking at a collection of lots around the Gulch and Sobro. Cool Springs just doesn’t have the Infrastructure to support millions of additional square feet of office space without paralyzing the entire area. They would also have to greatly increase the height restrictions around that area to even house that many people.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Come on Atlanta for Amazon HQ2. GO ATLANTA GO.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Nashville isn't even a finalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville