Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:26 AM

28 posts, read 48,242 times

Advertisements

Moved here from NY 25 years ago. Moving back to the northeast. I dislike it here. I dislike the false sweetness of people who, if you have a different viewpoint or political ideology, tell you to leave anyway.

I hate that if you are not Christian, they "love you", but you are going to hell. Oh, and your kids would be told the same thing by their classmates from elementary school on.

I dislike the political climate and the proposed legislation such as "the defense of marriage act" "bathroom bill" and other such nonsense. There are much bigger problems in this world.

The crime rate is increasing, especially in metro Nashville. There are shootings on the news several times a week.

Sales tax is high. Property taxes are quickly catching up. Housing prices are headed through the roof, although since you are comparing CA prices, that's likely a moot point.

Summers are hot. And wet. The humidity intolerable. Oh, and tornado season. Seems tornado alley has been shifting east since moving here.

Hidden racism. That really took me aback when I first moved here.

Pros?

Well, no income tax, that's good. 4 seasons is good, but you can have 10 degrees one day and 60 the next. They say if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. It will change.

As anywhere, you can find good and bad. There are nice parks with hiking trails. I see plenty of motorcycles on the roads, so I know there is a good deal of popularity for riding.

People band together in a crisis (2010 flooding), but that is not exclusive to Nashville. It seems that this is the case everywhere USA. Too bad we can't all be like that all the time.

There is a facebook group, I think it is called "I used to live in CA but moved to Middle Tennessee" that might help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Job transfer from San Francisco (so not my choice).

Do not like it here and hopefully will be moving to Austin in the next year or so.

PRO: no state income tax; the Preds

CONS: Pretty much everything LOREEBEE65 said. And, my health has gone downhill since I've moved here due to allergies and asthma and not being able to be as active as I was in SF.

But, you're moving from way north Cal so you will most likely like it. FWIW - I would not like living up there either.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM

28 posts, read 48,242 times
And, my health has gone downhill since I've moved here due to allergies and asthma and not being able to be as active as I was in SF.

Oh, that's right! TN Valley. It's in a bowl. If you did not have allergies before, you will.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Is there any way we can run these negative comments out in a Super Bowl commercial, and in online ads so people will stop moving here? I'm totally on board with that.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Is there any way we can run these negative comments out in a Super Bowl commercial, and in online ads so people will stop moving here? I'm totally on board with that.
I would be on board with it as well and I hope AMAZON does not come here, Atlanta is the new hot spot.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreebee65 View Post
Moved here from NY 25 years ago. Moving back to the northeast. I dislike it here. I dislike the false sweetness of people who, if you have a different viewpoint or political ideology, tell you to leave anyway.

I hate that if you are not Christian, they "love you", but you are going to hell. Oh, and your kids would be told the same thing by their classmates from elementary school on.

I dislike the political climate and the proposed legislation such as "the defense of marriage act" "bathroom bill" and other such nonsense. There are much bigger problems in this world.

The crime rate is increasing, especially in metro Nashville. There are shootings on the news several times a week.

Sales tax is high. Property taxes are quickly catching up. Housing prices are headed through the roof, although since you are comparing CA prices, that's likely a moot point.

This is my reason for not choosing Nashville as a place to live. Has the religion thing improved over the years?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Yes, "the religion thing" has improved, in that many churches now better understand the leftist threat to them...

Old 01-30-2018, 07:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Am I living under a rock or something? I grew up here in the suburbs and am not religious/haven't stepped in a church in probably 10 years and no one seems to give a crap. Yeah there's a culture of religion but it's not some oppressive force that swallows everyone whole.

As far as the above post, everyone is threatened by everyone. Right wing religious people are threatened by a culture of atheism and left wing non religious people are threatened by the thought of living somewhere in which that opposite culture will drive them insane. It's fairly amusing personally.

Last edited by Drake744; 01-30-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:52 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
My experience is the same Drake....I'm sure in rural areas it's more prevalent.....but it sure ain't happening in East Nashville. I encounter more religion bashing than anything else.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Am I living under a rock or something? I grew up here in the suburbs and am not religious/haven't stepped in a church in probably 10 years and no one seems to give a crap. Yeah there's a culture of religion but it's not some oppressive force that swallows everyone whole.
It's more that you pretty much can't do a lot of (most?) things on Sunday during "church" hours. And the bible crap on the walls at the YMCA. Thankfully there are better gyms in Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville