U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:57 AM

2,302 posts, read 1,708,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I am sorry to hear that it didn't pass. LRT along with a functional
Transit system is essential for establishing good neighborhoods around DT and adding to the dynamism of urban life in any city. Two things that make a successful urban neighborhood is transit and grocery stores. I don't think that was sold to Nashville or else it would have passed. They kept telling people it was going to solve Nashville traffic problems and that wasn't true.
I totally agree with this, not to mention it provides options to stay out of the traffic If you so choose, and to me that's the smarter way.. You still have millions that's going to get up and get in their car's no matter how bad the traffic is in any Metro, even the largest, NYC. You just have some that prefer their automobile regardless to how much mass transit is around. Over all it would have helped take the load off but yes the message was totally wrong from what I was getting from it, not to mention Trickery from the opposition side, should be a law being crooked but its not. If and when it is ever built, they will ride it no matter the opposition, especially if the traffic is bad. Even here in Atlanta, a city that is car prone people will park and ride to take Marta train any day but the Bus seems to be the least favorite form of Transportation. If nothing else Nashville Commuter rail line needs to be expanded to other parts of the City and burbs not to mention some Major changes to the Metro bus service there in the short term. I must say though, the citizens of Nashville just got Tricked out of a Major prize sorry to say...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 06:35 AM

28,513 posts, read 21,387,197 times
There are a couple of problems and things to takeaway here.

First, Nashville has received an enormous amount of transplants, but Tennessee has gotten a reputation of being very fiscally conservative and tax adverse. Even though Nashville may have a lot of residents from blue leaning states, my guess is that many of these people are fairly fiscally conservative. $5.4 billion for just Davidson County is an eye-watering number.

Another thing to keep in mind is that different levels of local taxation are appropriate for different areas. Nashville obviously has a traffic problem and needs something to abate that. That's probably going t cost money. Still, I don't want to see some sort of statewide tax to pay for it. As a resident of Johnson City, I might go to Nashville a couple of times per year (I'm fine with toll roads to combat my usage), but I don't want an income tax or some statewide tax levy to support a transit system for Davidson County.

The problem with a regional approach is that the surrounding counties are even more conservative, so there is likely to be little buy-in from suburban counties.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I read this morning that the soonest a new transit vote can come up is 2020. It will probably be longer than that. Given the significant defeat and likely little buy-in from the surrounding counties, I'd wager that what will eventually pass will be extremely watered down, less ambitious, and ultimately not move the needle much. Meanwhile, traffic conditions will continue to deteriorate.

Honestly, how bad is turning this down going to hurt growth? My guess is that any impact will be negligible. Cities with even worse traffic problems and poor transit are still growing at very fast rates.

I wished this would have passed. Something needs to be done for quality of life. Big city transit plans are going to be expensive, and likely rife with cost overruns and delays. Doing nothing will just exacerbate the problem, and it will likely be at least five years before a vote comes back, and the city gets even further behind the eight ball.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:37 AM

794 posts, read 1,732,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I totally agree with this, not to mention it provides options to stay out of the traffic If you so choose, and to me that's the smarter way.. You still have millions that's going to get up and get in their car's no matter how bad the traffic is in any Metro, even the largest, NYC. You just have some that prefer their automobile regardless to how much mass transit is around. Over all it would have helped take the load off but yes the message was totally wrong from what I was getting from it, not to mention Trickery from the opposition side, should be a law being crooked but its not. If and when it is ever built, they will ride it no matter the opposition, especially if the traffic is bad. Even here in Atlanta, a city that is car prone people will park and ride to take Marta train any day but the Bus seems to be the least favorite form of Transportation. If nothing else Nashville Commuter rail line needs to be expanded to other parts of the City and burbs not to mention some Major changes to the Metro bus service there in the short term. I must say though, the citizens of Nashville just got Tricked out of a Major prize sorry to say...

This plan would have passed if the rail line extended to the county line in either direction in Davidson county in the 1st phase. Speaking for someone who lives outside of where the tracks would have been laid, we were only going to get more bus service. More busses is not what we want, we don't ride the bus enough as it is to need more busses. We wanted something new too in the 1st phase which would have been rail.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There are a couple of problems and things to takeaway here.

First, Nashville has received an enormous amount of transplants, but Tennessee has gotten a reputation of being very fiscally conservative and tax adverse. Even though Nashville may have a lot of residents from blue leaning states, my guess is that many of these people are fairly fiscally conservative. $5.4 billion for just Davidson County is an eye-watering number.

Another thing to keep in mind is that different levels of local taxation are appropriate for different areas. Nashville obviously has a traffic problem and needs something to abate that. That's probably going t cost money. Still, I don't want to see some sort of statewide tax to pay for it. As a resident of Johnson City, I might go to Nashville a couple of times per year (I'm fine with toll roads to combat my usage), but I don't want an income tax or some statewide tax levy to support a transit system for Davidson County.

The problem with a regional approach is that the surrounding counties are even more conservative, so there is likely to be little buy-in from suburban counties.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I read this morning that the soonest a new transit vote can come up is 2020. It will probably be longer than that. Given the significant defeat and likely little buy-in from the surrounding counties, I'd wager that what will eventually pass will be extremely watered down, less ambitious, and ultimately not move the needle much. Meanwhile, traffic conditions will continue to deteriorate.

Honestly, how bad is turning this down going to hurt growth? My guess is that any impact will be negligible. Cities with even worse traffic problems and poor transit are still growing at very fast rates.

I wished this would have passed. Something needs to be done for quality of life. Big city transit plans are going to be expensive, and likely rife with cost overruns and delays. Doing nothing will just exacerbate the problem, and it will likely be at least five years before a vote comes back, and the city gets even further behind the eight ball.
This is what many are thinking too that live in the areas of Davidson county that would not be served by rail. In order for it to extend to the county line the adjacent county would have to provide funding. Well, due to many of them being more conservative and less likely to buy in, some parts of Davidson county would be delayed for years before getting a chance of getting the rail to their part of the county which would not be fair, and why the rail should have went further into the county in the initial plan. Had it done so it would have passed.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And those of us who live in neighboring counties and had no say. Traffic in Nashville is pretty miserable these days.

I'm not sure if there was a regional meeting about this plan or not, but if not, there should have been more planning with at least Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson and Sumner counties to come up with something that would have taken the rail to the Davidson county line in the direction of these counties in the 1st phase. That way all the counties included could have had a say in the vote.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM

I see people saying that people want Nashville to stay in 1950 that voted against it, well some may, but many are not opposed to transit at all, just did not want this particular plan. Many wanted a more comprehensive plan that included everybody in ways that everybody could benefit the exact same. I personally feel there should have been more choices for voters years before this election instead of just the one presented that was pretty much like a take it or break it with no ifs and or buts about it. Many would like to see transit but would also like to see improvements to our current road ways to help flow as well. Probably a small percentage who voted against it that think nothing needs to be done.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 AM

28,513 posts, read 21,387,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I see people saying that people want Nashville to stay in 1950 that voted against it, well some may, but many are not opposed to transit at all, just did not want this particular plan. Many wanted a more comprehensive plan that included everybody in ways that everybody could benefit the exact same. I personally feel there should have been more choices for voters years before this election instead of just the one presented that was pretty much like a take it or break it with no ifs and or buts about it. Many would like to see transit but would also like to see improvements to our current road ways to help flow as well. Probably a small percentage who voted against it that think nothing needs to be done.
None of these plans are perfect. It's going to be expensive any way you slice it. The fact that the plan was declined, no matter what it was, sets the city back years before it even gets back to a vote again.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:30 AM

891 posts, read 801,459 times
To those still in Nashville and moving to Nashville who will be sitting in traffic for hours and hours... I salute you!

...and hope the city can find a better solution to the traffic issues.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
None of these plans are perfect. It's going to be expensive any way you slice it. The fact that the plan was declined, no matter what it was, sets the city back years before it even gets back to a vote again.
We understand that any plan will be expensive, but if its going to be expensive we would prefer a plan that works for us. We were only given one option at that with no pre-elections to vote on various plans or anything else like that that would have made it a lot easier for voters leading up to the final plan that was on the table.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:40 AM

2,302 posts, read 1,708,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
This plan would have passed if the rail line extended to the county line in either direction in Davidson county in the 1st phase. Speaking for someone who lives outside of where the tracks would have been laid, we were only going to get more bus service. More busses is not what we want, we don't ride the bus enough as it is to need more busses. We wanted something new too in the 1st phase which would have been rail.
I can agree with this! They need to start with kicking that Jeff Carr guy out of the City and the Black community needs to stop believing every thing he says.. Him and the NotaxforTrax people mean the City of Nashville no good! He looks real cooked Something's not quite right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or