Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 PM

156 posts, read 609,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
GAH! I call those kinds of people "The Church Of Who Would Jesus Hate?"

A-A-A-A-A-A!!! That's painfully funny, tunky!!!! Actually, historically, He came down on Pharisees & Saducees(sp?) - the religious ones of that day. Hmmn. Kinda see some similarities there! Although, I'm sure you didn't REALLY mean He hated them. And if He did, I'm sure it was a holy kind of hate, s.thing which human beings can't do, even the nice ones. Besides, when you're god you kinda have the right to do stuff like that, ya know, not that He does, though. (Unless He's super ticked off!)

Old 03-29-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Christians were around long before the "born again" genre came into play. The word Christian means Christ like, born again folk don't own the term Christian.
Zonababe, my post here is not specifically directed towards your comment, but others' comments on this thread which were a bit more than a hair off - more like a wad of hair.

JESUS was the only One who started that term "born again" (The Gospel of John 3:1-22 for starters).

He never meant for it to be a source of contention amongst - well - ANYone. But it has become that namely b/c people can chose daily whether they want to practice what He taught or not practice what He taught. As a born-again believer in Jesus, I have learned that both born-again and non (or anti-) born-againers have normally forgotten this. All to say, Jesus' definition of being His follower most DEFINITELY did mean to become born anew in one's spirit -- thus, Jesus called that "born-again". Many have gotten/understood this. Most, it seems, haven't, as one can witness in media forums like television, talk radio, etc. (Sadly, the media have been the schoolteachers for most of the world population and it is this reason I believe many are kinda sloppy - to VERY sloppy - on how they use their terms.) I hope people will actually study Jesus own teachings for themselves before they begin giving explanation to others. Otherwise, we get blind leading more blind folk. (I should know, I used to be there - on both sides!!!)

Old 03-29-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
pucabear-Catholics ARE Christians...
..An fyi that it sounds like pucabear knows that... (his post indicated that THEY didn't know that [during his high school dating]).

Old 03-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm living in the Knoxville area. Some of the first questions I've been asked is where I attend church? It isn't a slam kind of question, but more of a social greeting or opening. I mention this because you wrote of some bad experiences where you were living. You'll get asked what church you attend alot in the south. It is more of a social question to break the ice at times. Just wanted to give you a heads up as it surprised me at first.
All the best,
Pam
My experience was identical. Just so happened I DID attend.
Your observation / explanation is helpful, thanks.
(And if a small % of those asking this question carried an ulterior motive, that would be most unpleasant indeed for ANYone.)

Old 03-29-2008, 01:12 PM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
Yes, they will ask you what church you go to. Here in Memphis when I told them I was Catholic, they just backed off. Didn't try to get me to go to their church, either. There just isn't the community of Catholics that you would find in the north and New England.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
robertpolyglot, It is funny to hear folks talk of Nashville as being dangerous, after going to college 1 police precinct away (about 2 miles) from infamous one highlighted in "Fort Apache, the Bronx" movie.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
Catholics vs. Christian...touchy subject. I will try my best to explain this from my perspective. When I say Christian I am referring to an individual who has accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior and asked for Jesus to forgive his sins (the world calls this born-again). I have known Catholics who have done this, so it can be true. However, I grew up in a church denomination that is called "christian", but did not myself become a christian until I accepted Jesus as my personal savior.

Sometimes we hear the phrase -- "the Christian thing to do." Used in many contexts, but for instance, It might be the Christian thing to do to give to a beggar. It might be the Christian thing to do to forgive somebody who has slighted us. It might be the Christian thing to do to help a little old lady cross the street.

I guess, then, the question is, if one tries to follow the teachings of Christ, is that enough to be called 'Christian', or does it require a certain subset of requirements that need to be approved by some authority?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:03 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentman View Post
Sometimes we hear the phrase -- "the Christian thing to do." Used in many contexts, but for instance, It might be the Christian thing to do to give to a beggar. It might be the Christian thing to do to forgive somebody who has slighted us. It might be the Christian thing to do to help a little old lady cross the street.
But plenty of non-Christians also do these things. Honorable, decent behavior isn't exclusive to Christianity.

The Tennessean the other day had an article about faith-based business practices -- things like paying bills on time and treating employees well. Those aren't "Biblical principles." They're simply human decency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentman View Post
I guess, then, the question is, if one tries to follow the teachings of Christ, is that enough to be called 'Christian', or does it require a certain subset of requirements that need to be approved by some authority?
It seems there are two definitions at work here:

1) The definitions of various Christian groups toward other denominations. Whatever a church wants to say about another church is no one's business but theirs. It doesn't, however, carry a lot of weight with those who aren't part of that church.

2) The definitions that aren't based on one's personal belief. Scholars, academics, a lot of Christians, and non-Christians would define "Christian" as one who accepts particular doctrines centering on Christ as the means to salvation.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Excellent question, rentman, and well put!
If I may, I'll try to answer. Guess I could answer fully, but that would take way too long, so, I'll answer as I feel Jesus Himself would. I mean, I think it be best to ask The Man (since He would know what He said). As I read the parts where He spoke, many in the new testament asked Him similar questions as yours. For e.g., many times he was asked "what's the greatest commandment?" or "who's my neighbor?" -- basically wondering the same kinda deal of your question -- what is or how do we know we've arrived at a standard?

In reading the four gospels I'm always amazed at how directly and smartly He answered these inquiries. It was always personal, for one. Yet, brilliantly, each individual's case he kept within the continuity of His teachings.

One thing I can say: He taught "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, will all your mind (some say "might"), and love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the laws and the prophets." (meaning all 700+ of the jewish laws hang on these two and all the OT prophesies do, too). That was a revolutionary remark for that period in time, since quite a number of Jewish people for centuries had been overly aware of failing every single moment in accomplishing all 700+!!

Therefore, they, too, in that day were "trying to follow the teachings" of Moses (some of us today, of Christ). So, I couldn't help but notice your word choice "trying". For the most part, humans have always tried.

My earlier post today I defined "born-again". This ties in with your point. Jesus taught "unless a kernel falls to the ground and dies, it remains dead". In the John3:1-22 part, he explains the meaning of 'born-again' or born anew. I'll let the verses themselves speak to you, as I think I might botch it up, here, but basically, Jesus taught in chapter 3 that if one is TRYING to be spiritual and going about it in their own strength, well -- it's just not gonna work if you're talking about God's definition of spirituality. That's why J. wanted people to "follow me" he said. Because the religionists of His day had their OWN definition of spirituality. Before He came many were floundering b/c the religious people of that time (Pharisees and other sects) were not helping them.... they were damning them with the heavy loads of religion. That's why I chose to be born again....I wanted Jesus as my best bud, not some fallible human being to be my overall guide. I recommend also Matthew's chapter 23, verses 1-13. You'll hear an excellent explanation there!

In summary, you asked two things: tries to follow the teachings of Christ, is that enough to be called 'Christian'?
since I love His teachings, I ended up being so focused on how lovely they were that it never dawned on me to care about the “enough” part of being called Christian (in other's opinions, that is). That was b/c I was so captivated by what Christ called me after I made the conscious decision to let Him in my life (that’s the part many get tripped up on, they don’t want to commit). Christ now was calling me one of His friends or one of his little lambs, etc. In other words, at the point of commitment I placed my trust in what he calls me and how he thinks of me: He welcomed me! So, no longer was my trust in what I call myself (or what others wish to call me, hello!)
, or does it require a certain subset of requirements that need to be approved by some authority?
It does, as long as the “authority” figure knows what he’s talking about (hee)! Hence, I chose to trust The Authority Figure whom I have entrusted as the same one who made heaven and earth. Hey thanks for listening to all this. Sorry this is long. But better to answer richly than meagerly.

Like I said, I was afraid of botching this up, b/c it's kind of a subtle thing. Hope that helps answer it! (Matthew 23:3 & 4 & 13)

Old 03-29-2008, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 14,972 times
It sounds to me as if Pucabear became a Christian at some point in her own consciousness. Which is where this question began. Yet, her consciousness did not see her Catholic boyfriend as a Christian. Which struck me as peculiar. I don't have enough facts. Maybe her boyfriend simply declared he was not a Christian, if so, that would be clear enough. She also works with both Christians and Catholics. So, a differentiation seems to be in play, yet when asked, she spoke only of her personal experience, not of the experience that any other might have had. So, the name Catholic seemed to make some type of difference.

Here's the situation as I see it. If I tell you I'm a Republican, I don't really need to say too much else. Everybody will just repeat that -- rentman is a Republican. They may think it's stupid, they may think it's great, they may not care, but, they will say, rentman is a Republican. Only because of my own testimony. No other proof necessary. I won't likely be quizzed as to if I'm Republican enough, if I have campaigned on somebody else's behalf, if I have manned a calling center, if I have knocked on doors, if I have given money, if I regularly attend all Republican meetings. All I have to do is testify on my own behalf that I am a Republican, and it is generally accepted.

If I say I am a Christian, I might be quizzed. People may want to know if I have been baptized, if I was fully immersed, if I attend church regularly, and by the way, which church, do I go on Wednesdays? Do I tithe? Have I memorized the bible? Have I been born again? Do I believe in hell? Do I know the name of Jesus brother?

After all these questions, I may be judged to not actually be a Christian, depending upon who is doing the quizzing.

But, I'd still be a Republican.

This strikes me as odd. Because initially, the testimony of one's Christianity is based upon the personal experience of that person. This experience sometimes is deemed subject to review by some people. Who, I assume, know the actual rules and regulations involved regarding being a Christian.

No such review is experienced regarding being a Republican, or a Democrat, or an American, or a white man, or a Realtor, or a husband, or a Titan's fan.

Which is an interesting phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville