Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 AM

93 posts, read 74,442 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in a multi-unit building in East Nashville. We have a one bedroom unit, so we are allotted one parking space. We park the second car in the retail spaces on a first come first served basis.

The point is, I am looking for a job downtown where I could sell the second car and walk to work, or take the bus.

Has anyone else been able to get down to one car? Save on insurance, gas, maintenance, reduce carbon footprint, etc...?

I would love to be a one car family but it has been real tough making that happen. Anyone have any luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
You could move somewhere along the Music City Star line and take the train into downtown, then take the free Music City Circuit bus to various locations downtown or the Route 93 bus to the West End/Vanderbilt area if necessary.

Middle Tennessee RTA Stations - RTA train stations, photo of stations, local stations, all train stations

Old 05-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Thanks Birdie, I actually live within a 5-10 minute walk into downtown! I may consider the circuit. I need to find a new job first.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
You should find the MTA route planner for the route from your house to work. First question becomes how far to walk to the bus stop. Then find your bus route. Finally how far to walk from the bus to work. All bus go to Music City Center downtown. For the $1.70 fare one way & with transfer becomes possible.

A second question becomes how flexible your employer is with start times & what allowance they make if you miss a bus & arrive later. Depending on your travel tome, it may take a bit longer in traffic. MTA tries hard to stay on time (seldom early) but delays can happen. A cell phone ap could let you know when the next bus is due.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
I've seen people that will just take Uber or Lyft to and from work if it's not far. Yeah it can be a little expensive but they seem to feel like it's more convenient than dealing with all the other options.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I've seen people that will just take Uber or Lyft to and from work if it's not far. Yeah it can be a little expensive but they seem to feel like it's more convenient than dealing with all the other options.
Honestly if you are close enough to downtown a daily lyft to work is probably still cheaper than a car payment, gas and insurance.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:22 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Honestly if you are close enough to downtown a daily lyft to work is probably still cheaper than a car payment, gas and insurance.
I think the OP said he currently works in Antioch. I got confused about that earlier.

Even if a downtown employer subsidizes parking (which is probably free in Antioch anyway), gas and maintenance costs would exceed Lyft charges 5 days a week.

This is why the area needs a transit alternative, though, because Lyft cars will still be stuck in the same traffic. But at least you can relax a little during the ride, which would be a plus in the "quality of life" column.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:21 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Yes. I drive for Uber and just yesterday I drove someone from Inglewood to Vanderbilt for work and he said they sold their car recently to have extra money for their young child. The husband and wife alternate days in which one takes the car and the other takes Uber

Old 05-11-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yes. I drive for Uber and just yesterday I drove someone from Inglewood to Vanderbilt for work and he said they sold their car recently to have extra money for their young child. The husband and wife alternate days in which one takes the car and the other takes Uber
Great suggestion. I am so desperate to get out of my current job I have had for 7 years in Antioch, that I may even cut my salary in half just to get out of this thing.

I am freaking miserable, and if I could get something in downtown, West End, Vandy area I would take UBER or the bus.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:56 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Have you considered moving to Antioch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville